Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

This week's entettainment

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

This week's entettainment

Postby Lefty » 06 02, 2017 •  [Post 1]

I headed out to set a couple bear bait, set trail cams, and just hang out in elk county.
Saw a little bear,deer, couple of elk.
But my entertainment were some Forest service workers and fire fighters. The fun started at 1:00 Wednesday. And it was called at 4:00 Thursday.
I told one fellow As soon as you sink the grader,I'll takes some pics.
They got the truck out just past noon
I was eating lunch in my camp 80 yards away
Then they sunk the,truck again
A grader was only 20 mIles away.
The grader operator tried to drop his blade , the grader dro dropped fast

20170531_190837.jpg
Truck fs

The supervisor stated out loud "why isnt there a culvert in front of the spring?"
I told her it it was the frost leaving the ground,.. I dont think they believed me

20170601_144137.jpg

Just 80 yards up the rod from the sunk grader I took this pic a week ago Saturday. And I was kicking up dust on the hardpan
20170520_092342.jpg
A week ago Saturday
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: This week's entettainment

Postby wawhitey » 06 02, 2017 •  [Post 2]

I just dont get why people refer to them as the forest circus :lol:
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 06 03, 2017 •  [Post 3]

I used to go out and get stuck every once in awhile. That was part of the price of working out in the forest in the Spring and Winter. Often in the Spring it looks dry on top, but it is mush underneath. Sometimes it is dusty right up to the snow edge. And by the way, I have seen plenty logging equipment and logger vehicles stuck. Did I mention it happens to people out in the forest. They carry a lunch box, wear gloves and get dirty. I never saw the office help dirty or stuck. I have a different appreciation for what I see in these pictures.
BTW, if you want to know something about hunting an area, it is folks like the ones in these scenes you want to ask, but don't bother the supervisor. She is obviously clueless too. I am not sure about you frost leaving the road hypothesis. I think the roadbed is saturated, and there is insufficient and likely almost no base coarse there to hold up a vehicle. It was too wet to support the truck, and it was too wet for the grader. People call these wet spots "springs", but they are just collection spots for runoff.
When you see a situation like this, it is a good time to go somewhere. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 06 04, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Swede wrote:BTW, if you want to know something about hunting an area, it is folks like the ones in these scenes you want to ask, but don't bother the supervisor. She is obviously clueless too. :D

Like I mentioned they were my entertainment. The first day I visited with the fellow that was driving the truck, I left when help showed up.
Thursday I spent about 2 1/2 hours talking trapping mostly with one fellow, We had some common acquaintances and friends.
Lefty

Postby Swede » 06 05, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Good point Lefty. I just know I would rather talk with these field people than with those in the office. If you come in late sometimes you can catch someone returning from the field that will talk with you, but these that are outside will share more, and you have someone that gets out.
The fire people usually purposely go out late as they deal with fire. The range and timber folks get out a little earlier. Very few F.S. people are out at day break. There were a few people in the timber department that used to leave in the dark, to check loaded log trucks or to beat the heat of the afternoon.
Swede

Postby saddlesore » 06 06, 2017 •  [Post 6]

I don't drive out in my pasture until about late June. There is a layer of clay about 3 feet down that water doesn't go thru.So all the winter moisture lays on top and if the there is enough,it is boggy. After sinking a pickup to the frame, a tractor to the frame and almost burying a front end loader( thank God for being able to lift the front end with the bucket) I finally wised up
saddlesore

Postby Lefty » 06 06, 2017 •  [Post 7]

saddlesore wrote:,...) I finally wised up

Ive been getting stuck since I was 14,
I think Im only wise when it comes to others getting stuck

Sunday I ran up to heck my trail cam,. I could have driven around a snow :oops: drift. Someone else made it through. I didnt
Lefty

Postby Swede » 06 06, 2017 •  [Post 8]

Have you guys ever been around someone that was totally clueless when it came to getting unstuck? I don't believe they were faking it. They called on the radio for help. If I came to help, they got dirty as I mostly coached them.
Swede