Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Old Elk Stories and Videos

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Old Elk Stories and Videos

Postby Swede » 06 21, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Is it my imagination or have the videos and elk hunting stories become too much about running up the score? I miss the One bull down stories of yesteryear. The trip into elk country was fun to read as well as their stop at the sporting goods store. The difficulties encountered on the hunt and nights around the campfire were bigger that the kill part. Often most of the hunters in camp went home with nothing but a great story.
Now I read what brand of socks the hunter wore as though that was an important ingredient to the narrative. Who cares? The magazines are over half advertisement even if the hunter is not plugging the sunglasses they wore. I admit there is a good story once in awhile, but finding one is rare. I only subscribe to one hunting magazine now, and when that subscription is over, I will probable go back to none.
What do you thing? Is Swede just getting old and cantankerous or is the hunting media peddling garbage? Don't answer if you think Swede is losing it. I don't know how many warnings I can legitimately give Lefty. He has a lot of Xs against him already.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Old Elk Stories and Videos

Postby saddlesore » 06 21, 2017 •  [Post 2]

II only get the RMEF bugle because I send them money every year and they send me some type of gift that I usually give to some Boy Scout.Truth be known,I am a little jaded by that organization also.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 22, 2017 •  [Post 3]

swede, excellent points! Some of my fondest elk hunting moments are the campfire comrade-re.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Tigger » 06 22, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Swede, I will answer by saying both (I use Smartwool socks). Some are way over the top with product endorsement (Schnees boots for me!). Others are not as bad (I love my Mathews bow). The reality of it all is that is where the money is (Eberlestock backpack). I guess from a big picture kind of perspective, you can't really blame them (Sitka gear is really good!). I appreciate the guys who just come out with it at the beginning, give their plugs and then continue with the program without any more endorsements (Wapiti River Outdoors calls). But there are still some very good stories out there and I do like Bugle magazine and RMEF as an organization (Clip-Shot Camera Mounts work awesome!).

-Tigger (Elk Nut Playbook and Bugle Tube)
Tigger

Postby Swede » 06 22, 2017 •  [Post 5]

There are still some great writers out there for sure. The endorsements and multiple kills have turned me off.
I want to read about the hunter's adventure. I want to feel the rain or the pain of climbing out of a deep hole when the temperatures are in their 90s. When was the last time a saddle squeaked as the rider dismounted to check some sign on the trail? When was the last time the hunter built a small fire along a canyon wall to warm up and dry off? How about some exhaustion, disappointment and determination to hunt again? Does every bull need to be over 320 P&Y? I want a leery old bull that can sense danger and turns away in the nick of time instead of being suicidal.
Swede

Postby Tigger » 06 22, 2017 •  [Post 6]

I wrote an article for Bowhunter magazine that published in July 2016 where I tried to do exactly that. There was a little sidebar where they wanted my equipment, but the article did not have any mention of products. I did try and get the details in the story. It is harder than it seems it should be as you are limited in the number of words. Give it a try on one of your better stories and sell it to a magazine!

Should I start it for ya?

I sat in my treestand. Here came a bull. I shot it. It ran. It died. I ate it.

You need to add a few details I am thinking for the big money!
Tigger

Postby Swede » 06 22, 2017 •  [Post 7]

I know what you are saying Tigger. I too have had editors cut my article down to their limited number of words. They gut the whole thing and it gets to be not much more than, "I sat in my stand, saw the bull, shot and then packed it out. See pictures below. Hooray." You are correct it I not just the authors. When a magazine lands in my mailbox, I have no idea what the writer could have or would have said. I see what is on the printed page.
Swede

Postby MidMoElkNut » 06 23, 2017 •  [Post 8]

This is exactly how I feel when I turn on a hunting show on tv or a lot of magazine articles anymore.
I don't care for it at all, in fact it seems like the only reason why people hunt is to promote such and such and it's not even about the hunt and all the preparation. I enjoy hearing people's excitement and details on their experience rather than just shooting a record book animal and making money promoting something.
I enjoy people's hunting stories and videos on the forum and YouTube or like places so much more than the popular hunting shows.

I've been going through old threads looking for some stories to feed my addiction until September gets here. :D
MidMoElkNut

First Name: Dave

Postby Old school » 06 23, 2017 •  [Post 9]

I agree as well - very tired of the constant promotion of products. With that said - consider this:

The high quality video, multiple angles, big bulls,... all that comes with a price - a price the filmer/hunter isn't going to foot, so they get a sponsor :-)
Does the average "Joe" hunter want to see a video (that isn't top quality) of someone shooting a spike or raghorn bull? Remember we are talking the "average Joe" hunter, not the members of this forum.
There's a reason why Primos sells so many videos - sponsorship and people pay for the DVD's. Big Bulls and lots of action - all filmed at multiple angles with the latest in technology...on a high $ ranch that 95% of elk hunters will never experience.

It strikes closer to home than I want to admit. I just bought the 4 or 5 disc set from the "Born and Raised Outdoors" guys. To me the first couple of discs (oldest ones) were harder to watch. Why? Recording wasn't as crisp and it seemed kind of amateur (no insult intended as I certainly couldn't do any better). Then their last 2 were over the top good in my opinion. Technology and $ did wonders for them. I also never get the feeling they are shoving a bunch of product down my throat. Other than seeing them all together in their matching camo has made me not content with my old camo and now I suddenly "need" some First Lite ASAT :-) (Quote I Timothy 6:6-10 and stick with your old camo).

I'd rather watch a DIY bowhunt in the back country with great footage, cutting edge technology and multiple cameras - and no sponsorship promotions throughout it. That just doesn't happen too often though.

I guess there is a balance to be found.

--Mitch
Old school

Postby Indian Summer » 06 26, 2017 •  [Post 10]

Swede..... you're a moderator, can we move this to the Virtual Campfire forum since it's not hunting related? We are abusing the heck out of the Elk Hunting one man.......

One more question: Am I being old and cantankerous? :D
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Swede » 06 26, 2017 •  [Post 11]

You are correct about this being a virtual campfire topic. I know I am guilty of misplacing some threads at times. I guess it is like leaving the toilet seat up. I occasionally do it without thinking. I remember better when I have been reminded a time or two. I don't train easy.
As to your other question--Certainly on the older, and Probably on the cantankerous, but who cares?
Swede