Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Who's Crazy?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Who's Crazy?

Postby Swede » 07 01, 2017 •  [Post 1]

On another forum I just read a complaint about "lefty loonies" (Rainbow Family) camping out on the Malheur National Forest. The author of the thread spurred a strange thought. Who is loony?

I would guess the author works a full time job paying for a house, car and to make enough to provide for his family presently and for the future. The future includes kids college and his, and his wife's retirement and who knows what. The poor fellow works 280 days each year and prays he can get 10 days off to go hunting. In addition the family wants a few days off with him too. He lives in constant fear of losing his job which pays far too little. This guy takes antacid to keep his stomach from burning constantly.
The "lefty loony" comes and goes on his/her own, has enough to get by, camps when and where they like. They come and leave as a goose on the loose. They have nothing bedeviling them in their lives. They drink beer, run around naked and do drugs at will. They gather around and sing Peter, Paul and Mary songs all night. When the big event is over they disperse and return to their freewheeling lifestyle.
So here is my question, Who is the crazy one?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Who's Crazy?

Postby wawhitey » 07 01, 2017 •  [Post 2]

In large part the lefty loony hippy types "have enough to get by" in only the barest sense. That comes from welfare benefits, selling drugs and stealing. The latter 2 can get you thrown in jail or killed. All they have going for them is theyre partying and getting high and drunk every night. And that stops being cute as you get older. Sooner or later theyre just pathetic burnouts, with major health problems, mooching off the taxpayer for their food stamps and medical care. And thats the lucky ones who dont end up in prison. Pretty clear who the crazy ones are.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 07 01, 2017 •  [Post 3]

wawhitey wrote:Pretty clear who the crazy ones are.

My assessment above is intended to be totally tongue in cheek.

A person would at least like to believe loose living leads to a poorer ending than hard work. At least that is what we were taught. I know I would rather have Jesus than anything they get from debauchery.

Of coarse no one has ever seen an old hippy or a wealthy one. But wait. I have. They are not even rare.
To be fair, a lot of Rainbow family actually have a normal 9-5 lifestyle after the camp out.
Swede

Postby wawhitey » 07 01, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Swede wrote:
wawhitey wrote:Pretty clear who the crazy ones are.

My assessment above is intended to be totally tongue in cheek.

A person would at least like to believe loose living leads to a poorer ending than hard work. At least that is what we were taught. I know I would rather have Jesus than anything they get from debauchery.

Of coarse no one has ever seen an old hippy or a wealthy one. But wait. I have. They are not even rare.
To be fair, a lot of Rainbow family actually have a normal 9-5 lifestyle after the camp out.

There are quite a few wealthy "hippies" running around larping as flower children, courtesy of daddys money. Getting high, sporting dread locks and living off their trust funds. "Trustafarians." Now theyre all social justice warriors. Is the rainbow family still a thing really? My limited understanding of it was that the rainbow family was basically an lsd distribution organization, which i assumed went extinct when pickard got busted, as he was manufacturing over 90% of the worlds acid. Dont get me wrong, im not some super clean cut stick in the mud by any means. I did more than my share of chemicals and partying, but at a certain point like i said, it stops being cute. If you dont get your head out of the clouds youll wake up one day and realize youre a burnout loser who wasted his life. I quit that scene at about 24 years old. Pretty much everybody i grew up with is still sitting around the town i grew up in, getting nowhere in their lives, just living to get high. Most of them now are sticking needles in their arms. Its pretty sad. This discussion brings to mind the end speech in fear and loathing. Funny that such on point wisdom would come from hunter thompson. He was a rare breed.

wawhitey

Postby Lefty » 07 01, 2017 •  [Post 5]

We ran into the aftermath of a camp in Washington, then a camp in Utah. What a bunch of slobs.
The forest service when in with dozers , pushed the trash into piles to burn
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 07 01, 2017 •  [Post 6]

The wealthy hippies I have run into were either part timers or trust fund people. I have no knowledge about their drug habits. I would guess they were pot smokers. The old ones I have talked to were not burn outs. Some came to Forest Service meeting and tried to persuade us on management decisions especially timber sales. Yes, the Rainbow family is still around. They are camping on the Malheur National Forest this summer. They are a loose knit bunch. They claim no leader or any organization. The word gets out when and where to meet and they show up.
The Forest service has no time to prepare anything, but they and the local sheriff's office keep watch on them. From my observation, based on two RF camp outs on the District where I worked, they were cooperative and cleaned up after themselves. Of coarse with 20,000-25,000 people together a few will probably get into trouble. I think some people, that are not real RFers go to observe naked people and cause trouble. I never heard of any significant cleanup required after the two camps on the Burns and Diamond Lake Districts.
That should not surprise us as I have seen a criminal element (prostitutes) show up at a fire camp.
Swede

Postby wawhitey » 07 01, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Lefty wrote:We ran into the aftermath of a camp in Washington, then a camp in Utah. What a bunch of slobs.
The forest service when in with dozers , pushed the trash into piles to burn

The "climate change activists" and their kind always leave massive piles of trash in their wake after their protests. Theyre all hypocrites. I was doing a drill rig move in homer, and a bunch of wannabe hippy protesters rolled up to protest big oil. They came in a ford excursion, or expedition, not sure which is which. The big one that gets 5 gallons to the mile. No joke. And dont get me started on the seattle "kayaktivists" protesting the shell rig in seattle by trying to interrupt the work that makes sure its as safe as possible, by blocking it with their plastic canoes, while wearing synthetic clothing shipped over from asia on cargo ships that burn like 500 gallons of deisel per hour
wawhitey

Postby wawhitey » 07 01, 2017 •  [Post 8]

Swede wrote: Yes, the Rainbow family is still around. They are camping on the Malheur National Forest this summer.

I have a sick urge to go investigate. See if theyre all the larper trustafarians i expect them to be. I could go in undercover. Get a dreadlock wig, not wash my clothes or bathe for a couple weeks, and rent a subaru. Do you have more specific location info? :lol:
wawhitey

Postby Roosiebull » 07 02, 2017 •  [Post 9]

wawhitey wrote:
Swede wrote: Yes, the Rainbow family is still around. They are camping on the Malheur National Forest this summer.

I have a sick urge to go investigate. See if theyre all the larper trustafarians i expect them to be. I could go in undercover. Get a dreadlock wig, not wash my clothes or bathe for a couple weeks, and rent a subaru. Do you have more specific location info? :lol:

if you really want to be undetected, rent a prius, and put a coexist sticker on the back ;)

this year is the first I have heard of them, it doesn't sound good, but how media hypes everything, maybe they aren't that bad.

I try to live somewhere in the middle, I like to be sober, but I don't like to be tied down to work, so far so good :? I found an occupation right out of highschool that lends me the lifestyle I like to live, and I have a wife that is very good with money. far from rich, but never feel poor, and have half of the year off (we average 150 days per year of work)

I had my young phase in my early twenties, and don't miss that. it's nice waking up in the morning feeling good, instead of feeling like I packed an elk out the night before every weekend...
Roosiebull

Postby Swede » 07 02, 2017 •  [Post 10]

I understand they are on the Emigrant Creek Ranger District. I didn't think I could make the rendezvous this time, :lol: so I have not enquired, but I think it is just east of Yellow Jacket Lake. Just follow the first old Volkswagen bus you see.
Swede

Postby Swede » 07 02, 2017 •  [Post 11]

Ignore my post above. The meeting place in on the Bear Valley District near Flagtail creek off the NF24 road. They have a map and directions on a web page. Enjoy your visit.
Swede

Postby Grousewit » 07 23, 2017 •  [Post 12]

R they affiliated with the Rainbow Coalition?
62 yr old Hunter/Trapper/Shooter
Grousewit

Postby Swede » 07 23, 2017 •  [Post 13]

No association that I know of. The Coalition is political. I think the Family is simply about debauchery.
Swede