Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

New to here

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

New to here

Postby Rock Stick or Fish » 07 05, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Hi,

Wanted to post a little about myself and my hunting since I'm new here.

I grew up in Oregon as a fisherman but never made the time to hunt even though I loved shooting bows.

About a year ago January my 8 year marriage to a vegan was coming to an end and I decided that I was going to hunt. It was something new, something solo, and something a little bit scary. So I picked up a new used bow from Archery Talk, put in for my SledSprings cow tag, and started getting up on Mt. Hood learning how to not die when I was out solo. Y'know, the basics. I actually got ODFW's list of helicopter stocked backcountry lakes and would hike in and fish them, trying to learn a little more about going over country and being good and safe. I probably did 15-20 days just poking around.

I drew my cow/calf tag, season rolled around and I spent some time bow hiking. I made the most newbie of all newbie mistakes out in Sled Springs. I was poking around and disturbed a couple of does. For funsies I made a cow call and one of them circled back on me and checked me out. I hadn't heard of a mulie doing that, but they weren't legal so I left her alone and she finally ran off. When I saw her butt I realized she was an elk calf and I could have punched that tag real early. I had just never seen a calf in a Summer Coat.

More bow hiking happened.

I started dating the daughter of a real serious Montana hunter and getting some advice. Patience and Discipline. But hearing how seriously he took scent control even while rifle hunting I knew I was going to have to up that game. I started peeing at the truck, or even bottling. Using wind checkers. And hunting the wind as my #1 concern. It's when the transition from hiking to hunting really happened.

Early season passed.

We got into Oregon's late deer season and I was making deer encounters happen pretty regularly and blowing them pretty regularly. Finally one day I overslept and got out later than I wanted. I hunted the wind hard, and actually heard a deer about 40 yards off the trail to the right. He was coming closer so I stayed absolutely still, drawing when his head was behind a tree. He did me the courtesy of stepping in front of me at 20, so I shot him. Had the most nail biting wait to start chasing him, but found him 50 or so yards down the trail. Got him dressed without any drama, then it was a 2 mile drag to the truck. I learned I was not in ElkShape.

The girl I was dating is now a regular feature in my life. I got her a heck of a bow, and we're shooting daily in the backyard. I've been calling the timber companies and making a plan to chase Roosevelts in the fall. Bicycles may be part of it...

ReallySmallBuck.jpg
ReallySmallBuck.jpg (103.83 KiB) Viewed 1923 times
Rock Stick or Fish

Re: New to here

Postby Roosiebull » 07 05, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Great story! I remember seeing that pretty buck of yours, welcome!

You will quickly learn, the atmosphere on this site is the best of any forum I have looked at, really good group of people here.
Roosiebull

Postby JKaboom » 07 05, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Welcome to the forum and great story - couldn't agree more; this forum is very drama free and I love it :)
JKaboom

Postby Swede » 07 05, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Welcome to the forum Rock Stick. I minimize my scent, but don't pee in a bottle. I just go from my tree stand. No kidding.
Kaboom says there is no drama, but I like to stir up RJ, the owner, every once in awhile just to make sure he is paying attention. I poke fun at others too, but they are all good folks.
Anyway pull up a chair around the campfire and join in the conversations.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 05, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Welcome to our campfire mister, glad to have you on board.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Elkhunttoo » 07 05, 2017 •  [Post 6]

Welcome! I don't know Oregon rules but I would check out some deboning videos on YouTube. It saves so much weight and time. Every state is different but if Oregon allows it I would check it out.

I have been beboning game for 5+ years now and I can't believe the difference. Last year hunting deer we shot one, deboned it, split the weight between two of us and kept right on hunting... it is a game changer imo
Elkhunttoo