Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Can summer be over?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Can summer be over?

Postby OregonTK » 07 27, 2017 •  [Post 1]

I am so ready for this summer to get over with.

Oregon had such a wet winter and spring I couldn't wait for summer, but now it can leave. June 21st my brother, sister in law, niece, and her son were going down the highway in central Oregon when a young woman crossed the centerline and collided head-on with them. Sister in law was killed, niece had a broken collarbone, sternum, and multiple broken ribs, her son two broken legs and broken thumb, my brother a broken pelvis that required a lengthy surgery to rebuild his hip socket and head trauma. He's slowly recovering, but still can't put weight on his right leg...probably be another 4-5 weeks. Has short term memory loss, plus the fact he lost his wife of over 50 years.

I've had more arrow orders then ever before and have managed to stay caught up despite numerous trips to visit my brother and confer with health care providers. Had lots of photography plans this summer, but they have been put on hold for the time being.

I need to run over (maybe this coming week) and hang my treestand. Then there's this damn total eclipse passing through Oregon just before archery season opens, how many yawhoo's will be camped out for that? My wife and I might go over a week before archery season and set up hunting camp, wait till after the eclipsters head home, then come back home for my sister in laws "celebration of life' August 26th....which is opening day of archery season this year.

On a bright note. I volunteer with ODFW and we were able to safely trap, tranquilize, and collar a cow elk last Sunday for an ongoing elk project near Mt Hood in the Cascade Mountains.

Sorry for rambling on and not contributing to the forum much lately, hope to change that by the end of September. Good luck one and all...please be safe out there!

If you rattle, they will come!
Stickbows...putting the arch back in archery
OregonTK

Re: Can summer be over?

Postby Swede » 07 27, 2017 •  [Post 2]

I am sorry to hear about your brother, his wife and son. I hope it was not one of those distracted while driving things that led to the accident. I wish people would turn off their electronic devices when driving and stay completely sober. Driving is dangerous enough when we are totally focused. Will pray for your Brother, sister in law and their son. Keep us posted on the hunting and how the recovery is going.
Best wishes for the coming season.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 27, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Thoughts and prayers sent to you and your family as you go through these challenging times OrTK. As much as possible, I pray for all of them to recover both physically and mentally from this terrible event. Goes to show everybody how insignificant our petty, daily problems are when we hear about something like this........ I'm sure you'll a great turnout for the celebration of life.

Glad to hear you're knocking out some of your super cool custom arrows. As you get time, please post some images up to show folks what they look like.

Hope the "big eclipse" doesn't affect your pre-season scouting plans too much. I would assume most of those folks concentrate in campgrounds and not too far off the beaten path ;).

Good on you and ODFW for working the elk project. Would really like to hear more about what its about.

Take care mister and please give our best to your brother; hoping he heals quickly and finds the strength to get through this. RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby pointysticks » 07 28, 2017 •  [Post 4]

best wishes to your family.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l