Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

August

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

August

Postby Elkhunttoo » 08 01, 2017 •  [Post 1]

We wait all year for the end of August to get here. What is on your list to get before the season gets here? or do you need to get ready before the season starts?
Elkhunttoo

Re: August

Postby Swede » 08 01, 2017 •  [Post 2]

I have to start packing and preparing. It is hot here and smoke is in the air. That has me a little nervous considering the heat wave about to hit us. This year feels different in many ways.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 01, 2017 •  [Post 3]

I'm pretty much locked and cocked....Conditioning is going well this year (I could hunt and pack tomorrow if needed), the new Darton is shooting well (better than me, lol), game cams are emplaced to provide me a recent history of activity in the spots I haunt come the first week in Elktember, gear is pretty much golden and staged, knocking out some last month house/property chores that will put Mrs. W's mind at east when I'm gone 3 weeks, time off from work has been approved by the boss, and ya... all is going pretty much on schedule for this fall. I am heading down south on FRI afternoon to have a custom string put on my bow (I always like to have the original factory string as a backup so am getting a fancy schmancy red/black string put on the Darton), need to purchase/pack my hunting day snack packs in quarter zip locks (I like the no fuss drill of just throwing one in my pack at night for the next day's adventure), gotta pick up a handful of freeze dried chow for those nights when I don't wanna cook or am beat down from packing meat, and have to cook/freeze a handful of base camp meal selections for the motley crew that is joining me this year (the other three will do the same I'm sure). And yep, I'm spending some time each evening on calling practice and shooting my bow.... it's getting close! :D
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 01, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Swede wrote:I have to start packing and preparing. It is hot here and smoke is in the air. That has me a little nervous considering the heat wave about to hit us. This year feels different in many ways.

That's cuz you are pining to shoot the bull in my avatar..... You're not fooling anybody mister. 8-)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 08 01, 2017 •  [Post 5]

The avatar bull is a beauty. I don't care that he is not a 400 class trophy. He is close enough to perfect for me. I think someone could write a song about a bull like that. "Don't say nothin bad about my bull. I don't think you understand, he's close enough to perfect for me." Or something close to that.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby wawhitey » 08 01, 2017 •  [Post 6]

Im ready for september. Im going to start taking time off about aug 15th, so i have a couple weeks to practice my bow, check a few cams, and scout some more areas before game time. Going to take about a month and a half off, work some in october, and take off most of nov / dec. Elk is secondary for me this year since i got the wt raffle tag. Feeling good about this season. Have several good animals located, feeling good about my gear, lost over 20lbs this summer. Sept cant come soon enough. Still need to seam seal my new floorless shelter but i think other than that, and some more bow / rifle practice im set.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Tigger » 08 02, 2017 •  [Post 7]

I need to buy a propane boot dryer, an adapter for my tripod and maybe a walkie talkie set. Other than that, I might watch a few deals just to make sure I have enough camo to outfit the western half of Montana. training is going good except I cannot lose weight! the belt size is going down but the poundage is pretty much the same.
Tigger

Postby sasquatch » 08 02, 2017 •  [Post 8]

Tigger wrote:I need to buy a propane boot dryer, an adapter for my tripod and maybe a walkie talkie set. Other than that, I might watch a few deals just to make sure I have enough camo to outfit the western half of Montana. training is going good except I cannot lose weight! the belt size is going down but the poundage is pretty much the same.

I have a propane peet boot dryer bought last year and used once I'd sell ya if interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blake
sasquatch

Postby Charina » 08 02, 2017 •  [Post 9]

I'm headed out to camp in 14 days and 5 hours. Not that anyone is counting. :roll:

Wish I was a little further along, but can't complain as I'm most of the way there. To buy: tree steps (today's lunch errand to Sportsman's Warehouse), and a 150 qt cooler. Otherwise, I think I'm set on purchases other than food.

To do: (1) Finish my generator silencer box. I'm 90% there, just need to modify the exhaust chamber inlet and retest to make sure there is enough airflow. Sadly, I need power at night to run medical equip. (2) Get my eyeglass prescription updated - Appointment set for Monday. (3) Gather and organize all the periphery equip needed for an extended stay. From the 4 scouting trips already done I have the basics all organized in one pile. And (4) decide exactly where I'm going to setup camp at the start of the season! Kind of an important thing to figure out. So I'm taking a 3 day weekend this weekend to scout some more areas, check trail cams, and finalize which of my top three spots will be where I start the hunt.
Charina

Postby Tigger » 08 02, 2017 •  [Post 10]

huh? My post disappeared? Anyway, how does the propane boot dryer work? Good? Does it dry your boots? Get me a price!
Tigger

Postby sasquatch » 08 02, 2017 •  [Post 11]

It works like the electric one, looks the same just takes a 1lb propane tank to operate. Light a pilot then turn it on. I put a pair on boots on it that were soaked from walking across a river 3 times packing out my bull and over night they were just damp. So I guess it'd take a day to completely dry maybe if soaked.

Idk how's $40 shipped

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blake
sasquatch

Postby Tigger » 08 02, 2017 •  [Post 12]

sure. I will take it. I will send you a PM.
Tigger

Postby Elkhunttoo » 08 02, 2017 •  [Post 13]

Gosh guys! So glad I could start a post that would help you both out ;)
Elkhunttoo

Postby ishy » 08 04, 2017 •  [Post 14]

Pretty much there other than needing more room in the freezer!
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L