Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

How ready are you?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

How ready are you?

Postby Roosiebull » 08 05, 2017 •  [Post 1]

We are in the home stretch!

What do you need to do at this point to be ready? All I have to do is organize my pack, made my last couple purchases last week (new hydro bladder, and elknut external reed bugle)

I'm going crazy now, this is always a tough time, hard to think about anything but elk;)
Roosiebull

Re: How ready are you?

Postby Eldonvieira » 08 05, 2017 •  [Post 2]

orginize my pack ill confirm broadhead flight its already tuned and ready to go keep practicing elk sounds and of course keep going through the play book. but with all that said if tomorrow was opening day i am ready to leave
Eldonvieira

First Name: Eldon
Last Name: Vieira

Postby Lefty » 08 05, 2017 •  [Post 3]

I'll purchase new reeds. Check the trail cam, one more scouting trip, wash my base layer , put the arrows and bow in the case, one mone oilchange on the truck,and get the archery tags.
In reality, I could back the truck up to the garage a n d be headed down the road in three minutes
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 05, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Close... very close. Bow is shooting well (still gonna head down and get a new custom string thrown on the Darton Monday afternoon.. stay tuned for a new WT sponsor ;)...), conditioning is going very well, working on my final gear/to do list tonight, gotta order/buy a few day pack chow items and pack my quart zip lock bags, oh... and need to cook/freeze a handful of camp meals for the crew. It's getting close.....................!
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 08 05, 2017 •  [Post 5]

I am close. I still have a few things to do, but it looks like the picture is becoming clearer on the earlier Oregon hunt.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 05, 2017 •  [Post 6]

Swede wrote:I am close. I still have a few things to do, but it looks like the picture is becoming clearer on the earlier Oregon hunt.

But can you cook? Inquiring minds want to know ;).
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby ishy » 08 06, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Just shot my last 3D shoot, so will screw on bh to test for a month. Also just got a solvid camera head strap to self film that I need to get more practice with. Couple cameras and some tree stand gear need to go out too.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Roosiebull » 08 06, 2017 •  [Post 8]

ishy wrote:Just shot my last 3D shoot, so will screw on bh to test for a month. Also just got a solvid camera head strap to self film that I need to get more practice with. Couple cameras and some tree stand gear need to go out too.

A month?!

I'm sorry, 20 days and counting here 8-)
Roosiebull

Postby chipick » 08 06, 2017 •  [Post 9]

20 days left here, and all I need to do is get my tag printed I'm all sighted in, and tuned, and my pack is in the closet ready to go. :D
chipick

Postby ishy » 08 06, 2017 •  [Post 10]

Opener is September 6th, Idaho Panhandle. They (F&G) say the herd is growing, but in the last couple years they have shortened the season by a week and don't let archers shoot cows anymore...not sure they are giving us the whole story.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby BrentLaBere » 08 07, 2017 •  [Post 11]

More practice on the elk calls and shooting broadheads. Both need a little polishing before the season starts. Conditioning is ok for the most part. Just need to take advantage of mid day naps! ha.
Have used my new pack for two trips in the mountains and it works great. Tested out all the gear and have things just the way I want them. Learned some new country this weekend and I cant wait to hear more elk bugling! We had a few lazy bugles and cows were talking like crazy. Great to hear the real thing. 24 days
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby stealthycat » 08 07, 2017 •  [Post 12]

cardio is really good
shoulder/back from hiking/packing is good, not great
legs feel really good
feet are not so good (plantar thing going on)

I loaded up my pack real life and its more ### than I wanted. .. probably 40# at least ...... I was hoping to keep it at 35# or less but for a 1/2 day hike in, I can grit my teeth and just do it
stealthycat

Postby olympushunt » 08 07, 2017 •  [Post 13]

This close. 40 yards.
Attachments
20170805_132217.jpg
20170805_132217.jpg (187.98 KiB) Viewed 5309 times
olympushunt

Postby Swede » 08 07, 2017 •  [Post 14]

I guess I will have to help find Oly a bull so he can test his shooting on something with a hide on it. Two weeks from today, I will be heading to camp. Sharpen your broadheads Oly.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics