Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Possibly Relocating to Orofino Idaho. Questions?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Possibly Relocating to Orofino Idaho. Questions?

Postby wunder6 » 08 13, 2017 •  [Post 1]

So I have the possibility of a job opportunity near Orofino Idaho but know little of the area. Hoping some of you guys had a little insight on the area. Not looking for any hunting advice but wouldn't turn it down either. More looking for what kind of community is it, good schools, safe, weather, things to do, nearby hostpital/clinics, churches, grocery stores, basically anything you may know whether good or bad. I'm all about it but my wife is pretty hesitant about leaving her family. If it works out it will help with my wife making the commitment knowing what we would be in for.
wunder6

Re: Possibly Relocating to Orofino Idaho. Questions?

Postby Swede » 08 14, 2017 •  [Post 2]

I had a job offer there years ago. It was with the Forest Service. After looking over the District and the town, I said "No Thank You" and never went back. We stayed in Oregon for awhile then relocated to Washington later.
I liked the Clearwater River including the North Fork, but the hunting was not enough to get me to move there. My advise would be to go look the place over then decide. Obviously there are some that like the area. I hope you don't have to be a cliff dweller if you chose to move there.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 08 14, 2017 •  [Post 3]

If your wife wants to stay near family...you should probably follow that advise.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby RAMMONT » 08 14, 2017 •  [Post 4]

It's not too hard to find city profiles on the Internet, just search for them.
RAMMONT

Postby Deanmac » 08 14, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Lefty wrote:If your wife wants to stay near family...you should probably follow that advise.

X-2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a X-wife that supported me taking a promotion and moving. She could not handle the move. This was not near as far of a move as you are considering.
Deanmac

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 14, 2017 •  [Post 6]

wunder, where would you be moving from?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby wunder6 » 08 14, 2017 •  [Post 7]

We are from Wisconsin not far from Green Bay.
wunder6

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 14, 2017 •  [Post 8]

wunder6 wrote:We are from Wisconsin not far from Green Bay.

Wisconsin isnt a bad part of the world to live. Idaho is nice for many reasons. Perhaps a trip out with Ms Wunder to see if she likes it? Living near family is fine but modern media makes it possible to keep in touch more than ever, and, your cheesehead relatives may really enjoy coming out to visit in a western state :;
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby wunder6 » 08 14, 2017 •  [Post 9]

I'm sure the wife would like it out there and my kids love the outdoors so that won't be a problem. Your right RJ a trip out there would be an absolute must before we would commit to it. Also been thinking about if we would make the move possibly living closer to Lewiston and commuting on workdays. That might be easier for her to deal with since Lewiston appears to have a little more to offer as to what she likes. Google maps says its an hour drive which isn't terrible.
wunder6

Postby ishy » 08 15, 2017 •  [Post 10]

I put in a few months of clinicals at the hospital there and guided in the 90's in unit 10 on the North Fork of the Clearwater. It is an interesting place with some odd folks. Not a high education level area, and a super high alcohol consumption rate compared to other places I've lived. The Dr.'s us to joke it took radiologists a while to get use to what a "normal" liver from Orifino looked like. Pretty small with a few churches (LDS were always welcoming even when we smelled like mules). Couple of decent places to eat, but pretty limited. The state mental facility is there and I think some just don't leave when they get released. Most people I met were very nice though. Fishing is great and you will get people that travel from all over to fish right in town for steal head and spring runs. There is decent bird hunting, an tons of predator opportunity if you like chasing stuff that can kill you (I do). The elk herd took a big hit in the late 90's with an ice storm and right after the wolves moved in making a recovery very slow. Locals will still kill elk regularly, but it is not the glory days that it use to be. I have seen elk out the back window of the hospital in the winter so I know there are still elk there. Weather is very temperate due to its elevation, compared to surrounding areas. Lots of good looking country in the area. Lewiston, Moscow, Pullman are all bigger towns in the area that I had coworkers commuting from. Lewiston can be exceptionally stinky due to a paper mill. Moscow/Pullman are both very nice sized college towns, a little far if your commuting daily, but probably more family friendly with more to do and not as back woodsy as Orifino.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby ishy » 08 15, 2017 •  [Post 11]

Oh the Radiology Dept in the hospital is all Green Bay. They use to get on the Green Bay website every day during the off season! Some of the most dedicated cheese heads I know. So you would have a couple fellow Wisconsinites around.
ishy

Postby wunder6 » 08 15, 2017 •  [Post 12]

Thanks for the insight guys. Hopefully October the wife and I can make a trip out there for a few days to get a feel for it.
wunder6

Postby Swede » 08 15, 2017 •  [Post 13]

Wunder6, let us know how you and your wife like Orofino.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby ishy » 08 17, 2017 •  [Post 14]

Talked to a buddy last night that mentioned that the herd is actually doing really good of late, so that is great news.
ishy

Postby wunder6 » 08 18, 2017 •  [Post 15]

That's good to hear Ishy. Not sure that that will be one of my bullet points when talking to my wife considering she already thinks I'm obsessed with elk hunting. Little does she know that I totally am.
wunder6

Postby Timber » 08 18, 2017 •  [Post 16]

Lefty wrote:If your wife wants to stay near family...you should probably follow that advise.

X3 I know a guy that is a great taxidermist and had an offer with World Wide Taxidermy in Nevada(I think that is where it is). He ended up taking it and loved it for about a year and a half until his wife tells him one day that she is moving back home to be closer to his family and "Oh yeah I am taking the kids with or without you". They were moved back in two weeks. So just prepare yourself if she is mentioning she wants to be close to her family now then eventually she will want to possibly move back some day...........just saying. Best of luck whatever you do and I hope everything works out great!
Timber