Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

A kitchen sink too?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

A kitchen sink too?

Postby Charina » 08 15, 2017 •  [Post 1]

I just finished packing and loading up the truck to head to camp tomorrow. I feel like I probably packed a kitchen sink somewhere in there just in case I find a plumbing hookup in the forest. Only going to be gone a week and a half, and the long bed pickup is full, with coolers strapped to the atv trailer.

Anyone else have over-packing syndrome? Or is it just me? Don't think I'll ever kick this habit if I haven't by now.
Charina

Re: A kitchen sink too?

Postby wawhitey » 08 15, 2017 •  [Post 2]

I tend to bring too much clothing, not knowing how warm or cold ill be. Takes up too much space in the pack. I also overdo it on food. Seems like i just dont eat much when im hunting. Those are my two main problems
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 08 15, 2017 •  [Post 3]

I am sure I over pack. It is the uncertainty that I pack for that means it is unused during the hunt. I guess I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 15, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Swede wrote:I am sure I over pack. It is the uncertainty that I pack for that means it is unused during the hunt. I guess I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Sais the man that doesn't take a tent scouting, but prefers to sleep under the starts and do battle with zombie apocalypse skeetos (actually extremely rare for the area I drug old Swede to this year), grizz, rabid chipmunks, a mid July bugling bull, a light rain drizzle, and other uninvited forest dwellers :lol:. I too take more than is probably needed but its always better to have than to have not. I hate more than anything, to not have something I need when it is needed and have to make a trip to town. THAT will drive me crazy. So Charina, you are not alone in your packing prowess........ ;)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby wawhitey » 08 15, 2017 •  [Post 5]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:
Swede wrote:I am sure I over pack. It is the uncertainty that I pack for that means it is unused during the hunt. I guess I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Sais the man that doesn't take a tent scouting, but prefers to sleep under the starts and do battle with zombie apocalypse skeetos (actually extremely rare for the are I drug old Swede to this year), grizz, rabid chipmunks, a mid July bugling bull, a light rain drizzle, and other uninvited forest dwellers :lol:. I too take more than is probably needed but its always better to have than to have not. I hate more than anything, to not have something I need when it is needed and have to make a trip to town. THAT will drive me crazy. So Charina, you are not alone in your packing prowess........ ;)

The bears etc dont worry me too much, but the zombie apocalypse mosquitoes are giving me second thoughts about the open ended floorless shelter i bought that i havent tried out yet. You can shoot a bear, but the damn mosquitoes are unstoppable!
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Lefty » 08 16, 2017 •  [Post 6]

We switched from a tent to a Leer shell(finally :roll: ) We spent a bit over a week: California Trail, Redwoods Oregon coast. My wife is getting it down. Sleeping gear in the back of the truck, cooler, box of food and a couple bags for clothes.
Sometimes chairs and a piece of carpet.
During season a kill kit, and hunting gear.
Its getting easier. We have both wittled down what we thought we needed, If you dont use somehting on a trip, consider not taking it on the next trip
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H