Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What About Snags

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What About Snags

Postby Swede » 08 17, 2017 •  [Post 1]

You are out in the forest scouting, hunting or just having a respite from the work day routine, when all of a sudden you hear a dead tree fall over near you. What? There is no wind or anything to cause a snag to topple.
Has this happened? Do you ever think about where you are sitting as you eat your lunch? Are you bedded within reach of a dead tree that leans a little your way? I saw a post by Elknut on another forum and got to thinking about this topic. It is great to focus on hunting or the beautiful scenery, but be careful and don't let a dead tree ruin that forest experience. I will admit none of us are totally focused on snags, but we can look around when we take a break or set up camp.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: What About Snags

Postby wawhitey » 08 17, 2017 •  [Post 2]

We can also worry about lightning, crocodiles, or random brain aneurysm, but why bother? Better to just enjoy life, and assume you wont be part of a freak statistic.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 08 17, 2017 •  [Post 3]

There is a difference between being aware of our surroundings and being oblivious. There is a difference between being a little cautious and completely foolish. If you ever look up your States' laws for industrial operations in the forest, you will find they have a lot to say about operating near dead and unstable live trees. You cannot put workers in a situation where they could be struck by a dead tree.
There are no laws protecting hunters. The U.S. Forest has management policies designed to minimize the risk to its employees, and other forest workers from dead and other unstable trees. My dad was nearly killed while he was bucking a log when a dead tree fell from behind him. It took a year of rehabilitation before he could go back to work. When I was out fighting forest fires, I very rarely was concerned about getting burned. I was often looking around at trees that could come down well after the fire was over in an area. There is no sign posted on them. They give no warning. None.
I don't expect people to be paranoid, but it costs nothing to look around your camp site. How long does it take to move away from a dead tree when you sit down to eat lunch or just take a break? I write this primarily for those that might not have thought about the matter.
I have not looked up the statistics, but I suspect we have lost a whole lot more woodsmen in the U.S. to dead trees than crocodiles. Too frequently I had reports come across my desk when I was working still, about people killed by snags. Those reports did not include hunters.
You might want to consider your location during a lightning storm too, but that is another subject.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 17, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Duke and I were hunting a WA wilderness area the day after a nasty SEP storm. As we were taking 5, a 30 foot fir crashed down less than 75 yards from us. That'll wake you up in the morning boy. I'm constantly watching and listening to what's going on with the trees in the elk woods. Look closely and you'll see many partial snag blowdiwns propped up on another tree that are just waiting for that right gust to head to ground. Good thread Swede.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby wawhitey » 08 17, 2017 •  [Post 5]

But its a pretty damn funny cartoon clip
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 17, 2017 •  [Post 6]

wawhitey wrote:But its a pretty damn funny cartoon clip

Just watched it. Brain aneurysms :).
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Rangerz » 08 18, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Taking a break while hunting in Idaho a few years ago, I was munching some lunch and glassing. Suddenly heard a huge crash about a 100 yds away. Huge tree came down. Scary to say the least. This was in an area that had burned several years ago and the FS had several trails closed due to "hazardous" conditions.

Some of the Survival shows you see on TV, the hosts talk about not camping under dead trees or on areas where there are "Widow Makers" hung up in them.

Not sure they are on the level of Brain Aneurisms :) but definitely something to be aware of!
Rangerz

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Poole

Postby saddlesore » 08 18, 2017 •  [Post 8]

We have had a tremendous amount of beetle kill the last many years.Many of those trees are rotted now and fall over without wind. Real widow makers.
Found a party of four camping right in them last year. I could not convince them how mush danger they were in.

There has been times when I ride back to camp, I find trees fallen over the trail that were not there in the morning. I have to carry a bow saw on the pack saddle most days.Some of the areas are in blow downs with only the trail cleared to get thru.There is no way around so I have to cut the tree. Luckily these trees are usually 6-10 " in diameter and rotted.

This summer ,I ran into a blow down that erased the trail with 3-4 trees 2 ft or more in diameter.That took me awhile to go back and come around bushwhacking to find a way thru
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby RAMMONT » 08 18, 2017 •  [Post 9]

The last time I discussed the problem of deadfalls I was told to not go into the forest if I was afraid of falling trees. Typical kind of answer for those that have never spent time in a forest full of dead trees due to pine beetle infestation. I've experienced falling trees several times, it's a nasty feeling since you know that you really have no place to go, you have no idea where the tree is falling and there really isn't any time to look around for it. All I do is move next to the nearest tree and wait, hopefully the tree I'm next to will protect me if the falling tree comes my way.
RAMMONT