Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Youth Outdoor Activity Day

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Youth Outdoor Activity Day

Postby Tigger » 08 18, 2017 •  [Post 1]

I lead the organization of an event called Youth Outdoor Activity Day. It takes place on Sunday the 27th in Alexandria, MN. We will have 45 activities for the 2,000+ kids that are expected to attend. The activities are almost everything you can do in the outdoors (fire building, trap shooting, tomahawk throwing, archery, outdoor cooking, shelter building, crossbow shooting, climbing wall, mock blood trail, shoot/don't shoot course, geocaching, orienteering, duck calling, birdhouse building, fly fishing, casting clinic, pollinator plot, mountain biking, ATVing, etc). Free lunch for everyone, free tshirts for the kids. A lot of other prizes for the kids including BB guns, bows, and rods/reels. I think we spent about $7500 on those three things alone. All free. No costs to the attendees whatsoever. We are trying really hard to get kids interested in outdoor activities and off the couch. If you know anyone within a few hour drive of west central MN, please let them know about it and visit youthoutdooractivityday.org.
Tigger

Re: Youth Outdoor Activity Day

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 18, 2017 •  [Post 2]

How awesome is this. Wish I were closer; I'd love to help out with the event. Good on you mister.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Fishinsimpson » 08 28, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Trigger I love the sounds of this event! I'm in Oregon so wouldn't be able to help out but man I'm jealous and impressed with what you guys and gals are doing for our youth!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fishinsimpson

Postby Tigger » 08 30, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Youth Outdoor Activity Day 2018 is in the books! After nervously watching the forecast all week, we ended up with a perfect day for it. This year we had an astounding 45 activities for kids to take part in! And how many kids took part in those activities might you ask? An astounding 2,180 registered kids! The event went extremely smooth thanks to all the volunteers and activity providers. I didn’t hear one complaint the entire day and there is no way that I could count the compliments! It never ceases to amaze me the time, effort, and money that all of the volunteers put into this event. This has really turned into a big event with over 4,000 people on site. We had over 300 volunteers and 110 businesses or organizations take part. To me, the most amazing aspect of this event is that it is free. Completely free. Again this year, we pushed the inexperienced adults to shoot archery or trap with their kids. Over 250 adults did just that, bringing them together with their son or daughter in an activity. So many of the activity providers made comments that many of the kids had never even tried that activity that I lost track. That is both disheartening that kids aren’t being exposed to outdoor activities, but also promising that they are now getting that chance. Here is a link to the local newspaper article: Youth Outdoor Activity Day keeps drawing record crowds | Echo Press
Tigger