Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Very last moment prep

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Very last moment prep

Postby Lefty » 08 21, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Some of my good gear just had one last washing, underwear and socks received a mico silver rinse. Everything in its box ready to go.
New batteries, checked arrows , cleaned all my glass, range finder, binos and spotting scope.
the wind checks been full since spring.
What little last moment little things do you have going on???
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Very last moment prep

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 21, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Still toying with the new Darton a bit.... I have it dialed in well out to 40 with BH's but getd little sporadic at 50/60; that's just me though. The bow is tuned like Ted Nugent with his guitars before a concert but I still am not quite zipping my BH's in at 50 like I want... got a few more weeks to get the farther pins good to go for that second/follow on shot. Looking at my list, I still gotta: inventory all batteries, wash the hunt clothes, charge the little Canon camera batts, charge my little action VID camera BATTS in case Swede wants to VID his TS kill, but really..... I'm almost there! Come on 9 September!!!!!!!!!
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Elkhunttoo » 08 21, 2017 •  [Post 3]

RJ, how long are you staying in Idaho and why did you chose those days? My brother in law is coming in from out of state this year and his first day will be the ninth also... he was asking the best time three months ago to get time off so I was just wondering why you chose the dates you will be hunting?

Today I shot the bow, need to was clothes and wait for the 30th to get here!
Elkhunttoo

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 21, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Elkhunt2, long story short.... I'm retired Army but still work as a DoD Civil Service cat. I save my meager paid leave up throughout the course of a few years pretty much take three weeks in SEP to hunt elk. In the past, I've split it up as a week in WA and two weeks in ID or MT. This year, the WA season dates really blow pond water through a straw (starts on the 9th I think and runs for only two weeks, missing the peak of the rut) and I decided to nix WA and just hunt ID. If I really had the allowed time off from work to pick and choose which three weeks to hunt, it would be the first week of SEP (gathering/herding up period; IME the the bulls are prime for the picking) and the last two week starting around the 20th of SEP where most of the cows are coming into their estrus cycle which makes for some exciting times in the elk woods. I roll over on the 9th and will hunt through the 30th... Elk noses will hit the dirt! 8-)
WapitiTalk1

Postby saddlesore » 08 21, 2017 •  [Post 5]

I have been retired since 2003 so I have a few vacation days left this year. :lol: I pretty much have everything ready,except putting ice in the coolers, loading groceries, and filling the water tanks in the trailer. I check the zero on the ML today. Three shots at 75 yards, 1.5 inch group, FO sights, dead on elevation, about 1"to the left. My bum shoulder said that was good enough.
My last task is pulling old shoes on two mules and putting new shoes back on..That is a big one for me.I do it as late as I can for ML season so I don't have to rest them for rifle season in mid Oct .That takes me about four days to do and then I need to recuperate for a few days.

Not bad as last January I figured I wouldn't be able to hunt , but I will have to use shooting sticks to hold the rifle up.
saddlesore

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 21, 2017 •  [Post 6]

Godspeed Vince. Should I warn the Wapiti you're coming for them again this year, its only fair........
WapitiTalk1

Postby Tigger » 08 22, 2017 •  [Post 7]

They know RJ. They know. Deep down some instinct is telling them that one of them will leave the mountain on a horse due to Vince hunting this year. Which one will it be?

I have a lot to do yet. I will start on Monday.
Tigger

Postby Old school » 08 22, 2017 •  [Post 8]

Sitting in the eye surgeons office now waiting for them to clean up the scar tissue from my cataract surgery a couple years ago. Complete blurry vision in my right eye. This should take care of it so I'll be good to go in a few weeks - at least that's what I'm hoping for. Haven't been shooting the bow much since the target is completely blurred. Will have a lot to get done before I leave.

--Mitch
Old school

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 23, 2017 •  [Post 9]

Hope all goes with your eyeball tune up today Mitch and you're back to slinging arrows downrange soon!
WapitiTalk1

Postby Lefty » 08 23, 2017 •  [Post 10]

Yesterday I had a couple arrows fly wild about 8 inches a serving string broke.
Headed up to check the trail cam Friday.
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Njdiverdan » 08 29, 2017 •  [Post 11]

Lefty,

Are you hunting the same area this year as last? I have moved to the west side of the highway.
Njdiverdan

First Name: Dan
Last Name: Smith