Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

I need more food choices

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

I need more food choices

Postby Lefty » 08 30, 2017 •  [Post 1]

I use to eat good fresh food, some junk food, some convenience food.
But I was places on a low carb diet.

Lots of nuts, less granola bars. More tuna, even some of the small pack spam, but gone are the HO-hos, fruit juice,Cheetos dumpling soup, creamed soups, and maybe excessive Mt Dews.
And bagle-something-or-another-sandwiches. No more "wraps" or tortilla shells, fruit cups, and fresh fruit I did add some home-made jerky and cheese sticks.

Those of you on some sort of restrictive diets what are you eating?
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: I need more food choices

Postby BobcatJerry » 08 30, 2017 •  [Post 2]

I go low carb. No bread, potatoes, pasta, basically few sugars. Do it for weight control and because it makes me feel better. Special treats are Whipped cream couple of shots now and then, only has 1 g sugar. Pork rinds mid day. I like Italian sausage with low sugar marinara sauce adn lots of cheese, some carbs in moderation but mainly complex carbs. Haven't had a sugar soda in 30 years. For my birthdays my girls make me Raspberry Jello sugar free, with raspberries in it and smothered in whip cream made with Stevia. The only carbs and sugar comes from the berries. I fall back on the carbs every now and then, especially after being on it all summer, but go back when the pounds start coming back. I like the Cracker Barrels double meat breakfast, with double sausage. No gravy, and when I feeling like getting a little wild I eat a piece of corn bread smothered in Butter. Been low carb for 20 years other wise I'd be a balloon.
BobcatJerry

First Name: Jerry
Last Name: F

Postby scubohuntr » 09 05, 2017 •  [Post 3]

You can get low-carb wraps; I forget what they're called though. I used to eat them a lot, they're not bad. Jerky (not teriyaki style). String cheese. Precooked bacon from Costco. Atkins candy bars/trail mix and protein shakes from any pharmacy department. I discovered that the Campbells Cream of Mushroom with Chicken soup is a lot lower carb than either the Cream of Mushroom or Cream of Chicken soups. I used to heat up a can and melt in a half pound of Kroger Processed Cheese with Jalapenos. Makes two decent meals with pretty low carbs. There are also cheese crisps, made with just cheese, no grains. Costco was demoing them on Sunday here, pretty good. I'm figuring on doing up a big batch of Landjager sausage next year (no venison yet for this year) for low-carb hunting snacks.
scubohuntr

Postby Lefty » 09 05, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Thanks guys
For a few months I was less than 20 carbs a day, dropped nearly 40 lbs.
Lefty

Postby Elkhunttoo » 09 06, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Lefty wrote:Thanks guys

Congrats!!! That is awesome
Elkhunttoo

Postby Lovehunt11 » 09 07, 2017 •  [Post 6]

Elkhunttoo wrote:
Lefty wrote:Thanks guys

I try to gain weight to eat what ever I can but I still skinny
Lovehunt11

Postby Lefty » 09 07, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Lovehunt11 wrote:[quote="Elkhunttoo"
I try to gain weight to eat what ever I can but I still skinny
[/quote]

I use to eat huge amounts of calories, 5-6000 calories a day and no measurable body fat in 85 and 86
Lefty

Postby wawhitey » 09 07, 2017 •  [Post 8]

I found shelled spicy pumpkin seeds at safeway. Look at the nutrition label. 0 sugars, good protein etc etc. Awesome healthy snack for a low carb diet. Hard boiled eggs too. And easy on the beers. Ive been watching my intake too, and have dropped 30 lbs this summer. Going to have to get rid of a fortune in first lite/kuiu etc type clothes that are too big for me now, as i have no intention of ever getting the weight back. But i now am able to wear clothes that have been sitting in my closet for a few years cause they were too tight, now theyre borderline too big.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby BullRun » 09 24, 2017 •  [Post 9]

Congrats on the weight loss! I eat almost exclusively Paleo (very few starchy carbs). I eat meat and veggies. There are a ton of Paleo books out there. One of my favorites is called Well Fed - Paleo Recipes for People Who Love to Eat. I'm 48 and maintain a lean 175 most of the year (usually gain a few around the holidays :D ). Anyway...Paleo doesn't feel overly restrictive to me anymore. I still crave bread and cheesecake every now and again...and sometimes I give in...but as long as Im pretty consistent with the Paleo, it's not a big deal.

Good luck!
BullRun