Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Snow in september

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Snow in september

Postby wawhitey » 09 03, 2017 •  [Post 1]

So its been in the mid 90s up here, makes for an uncomfortable hunt really. I got back to my camp an hour before dark tonight, just couldnt sit in my treestand any longer today. Its been smokey every day, but tonight when i got back up to my camp where i had a view it was REALLY smokey, to the point it was a bit creepy. I was just about to crawl in my tent, pondering the smoke, when what the hell? Snow? Its 80+ degrees.... oh crap. Its snowing ash on me. No phone signal to make any calls or get online and see whats going on, so i decided to bail off the mountain just incase. Sounds like its blowing in from the okanagan area, so i should be okay to head back up tomorrow, but that was a bit spooky, not knowing where that ash was coming from. Decided i was better safe than sorry. Didnt want to wake up dead in the morning. Sure wish wed get a few good days of rain.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Re: Snow in september

Postby Roosiebull » 09 04, 2017 •  [Post 2]

yeah, that sounds a little sketchy not knowing, smart move getting out of dodge just in case, I would have also got out of the mountains. this is the worst I have seen it on the coast here, it was 81 degrees when I left the woods at dark last night, the dirt is desert dry, berries dying and drying on the vine....we have only had a couple decent days so far this season where there was some moisture.

most days it's been mid 60's before daylight, with east wind, crunchy leaves at daylight. I don't mind warm days, but I sure like to see it cool off at night, and have some dew on the grass at daylight. very strange weather for the coast, and the first time I have felt there was actually high fire danger on the coast. supposed to rain a bit Thursday, hopefully the weather patterns stabilize after that.

the times we get good weather, the bulls are active, I think there is some really good hunting coming up, but it's brutal right now, I have never sweat so much in my life. i'm not used to heat, our average summer days are mid-upper 60's for a high. right now it's high 70's-high 80's, makes the coastal canyons feel a bit steeper ;)
Roosiebull

Postby JKaboom » 09 05, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Yikes....

Stay safe out there
JKaboom

Postby Indian Summer » 09 06, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Fire fire everywhere. The Bitterroots are blazing. It sucks! Down the road it'll be good hunting but for now it's really causing problems. Back here in Pa the low was 54 and today's high is 67! Talked to a friend in Jackson Hole last night and he said it's scorching hot and dry there but still lots of snowpack in the Tetons.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby lamrith » 09 07, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Yeah it was snowing all the way here in Tacoma as well and eerie sunlight during the day due to the high altitude ash.
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry