Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Your camp , and packed ready to go!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Your camp , and packed ready to go!

Postby Lefty » 09 07, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Camp doesn't look much different than the truck in the driveway. Maybe a folding chair or table set out for gear and a piece of carpet at the end of the tailgate on the ground.

Post up some pictures of the rigs before they hit the road and other pictures of camp.
20170904_070004.jpg
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Your camp , and packed ready to go!

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 09 07, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Nice.... My camp is in strategic piles in my shop and garage, ready to be loaded tomorrow evening ;). So close to elk hunting I can smell, hear, feel, and taste it 8-)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby wawhitey » 09 07, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Heres my humble deer camp, and a pic of my smokey view. Left camp tonight to attend to some things in the a.m. ill be back up there tomorrow afternoon. I dont know where all the deer are, this is weird. Ive seen 10 bears (and 1 yote and 1 moose) in the last 4 days, but the deer are nowhere to be seen. I spent monday afternoon hiking up above my camp instead of hunting. Just looking around, left my bow, pack, camo etc back at camp. Exploring the cliffs above camp wearing nothing but my boots, my pants, and my 357, getting some sun. A damn bear popped out of the brush 15 yards from me, facing me. We were walking right toward eachother. I had my .357 drawn on it instantly, and my first reaction was shoot it, fill bear tag, easy downhill packout. Then i thought no, that will keep me out of my treestand tomorrow. So i yell at it, and it doesnt run. Instead it looked at me for a second, then made a weird noise. Ive had bears make aggresdive noises at me. This wasnt that. Never heard this, it was a kind of gorilla like noise. A "oonk, oonk, oonk." As soon as it did that 2 big grown cubs popped out and ran to my left, and stopped 30 yards from me. I think oh damn, here we go... i yelled at her again, and she didnt budge. Now im just abput to pull the trigger, cause this is too sketchy. A half second before i let her have it she ran over to the cubs, stood on her hind legs and looked at me, and made the funny gorilla noise again, then all 3 ran off.
Attachments
20170904_182154-600x800.jpg
20170904_182154-600x800.jpg (177.81 KiB) Viewed 7108 times
20170906_185814-600x800.jpg
20170906_185814-600x800.jpg (99.08 KiB) Viewed 7108 times
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 09 07, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Glad you didn't have to go Clint Eastwood on mama bear Dean. Do you think the smoke/fires are screwing with the WT deer?
WapitiTalk1

Postby wawhitey » 09 07, 2017 •  [Post 5]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Glad you didn't have to go Clint Eastwood on mama bear Dean. Do you think the smoke/fires are screwing with the WT deer?

Honestly i dont know whats going on with the deer. All week ive only seen one muley doe and one whitetail doe. The area im hunting has pretty low deer density, but the bucks tend to be big, which is why im there. But to not see a deer for 5 days, thats weird. The wind is perfect at my stand, everything is perfect, and ive had 2 deer, 2 moose, a yote and a whole platoon of bears come through, and not a one of them has busted me. So i know my setup is good, the deer just arent showing. My only possible answer is that the deer have all decided they personally identify as bears, and have undergone species reassignment surgery. I showed my dad a good muley spot, and set up a treestand with him. Its about 1 mile from my whitetail stand. He hasnt used it yet, and hes heading to elk camp tomorrow, so he just greenlighted me to spend a couple days in his stand to give mine a break. Hopefully there will be some deer there.
Attachments
index.jpg
index.jpg (140.24 KiB) Viewed 7101 times
HUNT0028 (2)-800x449.JPG
HUNT0028 (2)-800x449.JPG (105.41 KiB) Viewed 7101 times
wawhitey

Postby Elkhunttoo » 09 07, 2017 •  [Post 6]

Sounds like it was a pretty hairy moment with the bear.... my female lab had puppies this last winter and I couldn't believe some of the sounds I heard her make to her pups.
Elkhunttoo

Postby wawhitey » 09 07, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Elkhunttoo wrote:Sounds like it was a pretty hairy moment with the bear.... my female lab had puppies this last winter and I couldn't believe some of the sounds I heard her make to her pups.

Im certain the noises momma bear made were telling her cubs that danger was near. Those noises were not directed at me/threatening. First time ive heard that. When a bear is trying to intimidate you, youll know it. But still, when a sow with cubs is within a split second charging distance of you, and not backing down after you yell at it twice, its time to consider taking action! A pissed off mama bear can cover 15 yards in the blink of an eye. Better make your first shot count, cause its probably the only one youll get. Ive only shot a bear in self defense once, at 8ft with a .44mag, but ive drawn on, and been very close to shooting, several other. This is just one more "almost pulled the trigger" situation. Its a hard judgement call to make, and if i dont WANT to kill a bear, i give it every opportunity to show me its ass, but theres always a point where you have to decide to make a move, and id rather be safe than sorry. Im not waiting until half my face is ripped off to pull the trigger. There are lots of bears out there, but there is only one of me. My safety comes first.
wawhitey

Postby Elkhunttoo » 09 08, 2017 •  [Post 8]

I'm completely with you on that
Elkhunttoo

Postby sasquatch » 09 08, 2017 •  [Post 9]

[img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170909/4c49cdeae7bf6423c7549a89881a07da.jpg[/img][img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170909/63a6b872bd187a50c32a92333f6951da.jpg[/img]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blake
sasquatch

Postby sasquatch » 09 08, 2017 •  [Post 10]

[img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170909/9863a000c7b25beeac9e57f7e1b3b3f6.jpg[/img]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blake
sasquatch

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 09 08, 2017 •  [Post 11]

Good gawd, it's been a roller coaster of a year (and this week) but finally, big red 2 is ready to pull the little trailer over the hills and through the smoke......to the elk woods I go tomorrow.
Attachments
IMG_4425.JPG
WapitiTalk1

Postby six » 09 09, 2017 •  [Post 12]

Wapiti 17
IMG_2273.JPG
IMG_2273.JPG (126.64 KiB) Viewed 6963 times
Elk are where you find em...
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Postby Lefty » 09 09, 2017 •  [Post 13]

Six. What fly/tarp are you using
Last week we saw a fellow still camped on the Continental divide trail.
We had a bit of rain last night, less smoke,
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby six » 09 10, 2017 •  [Post 14]

Lefty wrote:Six. What fly/tarp are you using

I'm not sure what the brand is. I ordered it through Sportsman's Guide several years ago. It works great for early season. Just spray it down with camp dry every couple years.
Elk are where you find em...
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Postby Rangerz » 09 11, 2017 •  [Post 15]

Nevada Main Camp 2017.

Wapiti talk Camp.jpg
Wapiti talk Camp.jpg (212.26 KiB) Viewed 6919 times
Rangerz

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Poole

Postby Tigger » 09 11, 2017 •  [Post 16]

Dean (awesome name by the way!),
the bears are reportedly really active where we are going this year. Unfortunately, there are blackies like you have and grizzlies. Would you have shot that bear if it was a grizzly and not a black bear? how much more (or less) time to you give a black vs a grizzly? I will be toting spray and a .40 S&W. The spray comes first, then the pistola. Unless I shoot a warning shot as I am backing up. Or unless it charges and I shoot my brother in the knee so I can outrun him! :o

No camp pictures from me yet. We leave in a few days.
Tigger

Postby wawhitey » 09 11, 2017 •  [Post 17]

Tigger wrote:Dean (awesome name by the way!),
the bears are reportedly really active where we are going this year. Unfortunately, there are blackies like you have and grizzlies. Would you have shot that bear if it was a grizzly and not a black bear? how much more (or less) time to you give a black vs a grizzly? I will be toting spray and a .40 S&W. The spray comes first, then the pistola. Unless I shoot a warning shot as I am backing up. Or unless it charges and I shoot my brother in the knee so I can outrun him! :o

No camp pictures from me yet. We leave in a few days.

If it had been a momma grizz refusing to back down when i yelled, i absolutely wouldve shot sooner. Not that black bears dont deserve our respect, but ive been close to a lot of them and they just dont instill the healthy fear in me that a grizz would. Id call .40s&w very marginal for black bear defense, and wouldnt even consider relying on it in grizz country. Its an anti human round really. Not to derail the thread with the much hashed put bear/gun debate, but i figure in a shtf situation, youll probably only get one shot, so mag capacity doesnt trump a powerful cartridge in my book. But i do carry an 8 round .357, instead of a 6 round, just cause i can.
wawhitey