Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

New Guy On The Mountain

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

New Guy On The Mountain

Postby Split_G3 » 09 23, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Wasn't sure where to stick this so I figured no better place to introduce yourself than around a campfire.....even if it is just a virtual one. Names Pete, live in SE Ohio. Been chasing whitetails for 25+ years and I have been fortunate enough to have some success altho the number of failures still far outweigh the successes. Unlike many of you, I have only been elk hunting twice in my life but I am ate up with it. Both times I went elk hunting, they were DIY OTC hunts and I was fortunate enough to take elk on both.....Elknut himself deserves a lot of credit for both. Looking forward to hanging out and chatting with you guys and learning as much as I can as I'll be heading back to the mountains again next September.
Split_G3

Re: New Guy On The Mountain

Postby Indian Summer » 09 24, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Hey Pete don't just sit there grab a brewski. Where exactly in SE Ohio? Maybe you can hang a stand for me. It's been like 3 or 4 years since I've killed a deer here in Pa. All of my spots have been leveled by housing plans and gas drilling.

So what state are you hunting elk in? It sounds like you're a pretty lucky guy... or one that knows how to make his own luck happen. If you can why don't you post pics of your elk. Welcome aboard and hope to see you here more often.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Lefty » 09 24, 2017 •  [Post 3]

This as good a place as any to introduce yourself.
Kick back and share what you know,..
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Split_G3 » 09 24, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Indian Summer wrote:Hey Pete don't just sit there grab a brewski. Where exactly in SE Ohio? Maybe you can hang a stand for me. It's been like 3 or 4 years since I've killed a deer here in Pa. All of my spots have been leveled by housing plans and gas drilling.

So what state are you hunting elk in? It sounds like you're a pretty lucky guy... or one that knows how to make his own luck happen. If you can why don't you post pics of your elk. Welcome aboard and hope to see you here more often.

Thanks Lefty and Indian Summer.

To answer your questions Indian Summer....SE Ohio, Meigs County. Sucks to hear about your hunting spots, it's becoming common place anymore. Not too mention, the EHD in PA this year seeems to be really devestating in places. I wouldn't be afraid to share a stand with you. As for the elk hunts, next years location is a toss up at the moment between Wyoming and Colorado but likely Colorado again. It's been 10 years since I was last there and the unit I hunted then(62) I've been told is more overrun now in archery season than it was then....and it was getting awfully crowded back then. It's still an option as I know the area of 62 I hunted very well and knowing your hunting grounds is the most important part of elk hunting. I've got a few other units that I am looking into tho and researching that appear to provide me with what I am looking for as well. At the moment I will be going solo, not looking forward to that part but finding a hunting friend that will commit has been tough. As for pics of my past elk hunts, I do not have anything on this particular computer but will locate some and try to post them up. All I have for now is this video that one of my hunting partners put up on youtube shortly after finding my bull. Small raghorn 5X5 from 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSboLa4MXaw
Split_G3

Postby Elkduds » 09 26, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Glad you could join us. 62 is an atv-infested unit and one of the busiest in CO during all seasons. However, that pressure creates opportunities for those who know the territory, right?
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby Swede » 10 02, 2017 •  [Post 6]

Welcome to the W.T. camp Split_G3. You must be doing something right to go 2 for 2 on elk hunts. Anyway join right in the conversations. RJ should be back in camp soon so watch your coffee and chair as he could mess with them. RJ is harmless, but a joker.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Roosiebull » 10 02, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Welcome! Best group of guys on any hunting forum here, look forward to reading your future hunting stories!
Roosiebull