Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Lions, Tigers, and Elk... OH MY!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Lions, Tigers, and Elk... OH MY!

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 08, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Well, I was had by the king during my ID archery elk hunt this year. Although I didn't bring any meat back to my garage freezer, our camp did get to feast on fresh elk loins and straps for several nights (thanks to one of our camp members). The elk pops in the area I've been hunting for 5-6 years are declining, and, the wolf encroachment has definitely changed their physical mannerisms to include vocalization... I'll leave that story for another thread... Not sure, but I may be looking for a new wapiti hunting area for 2018. Back on track.... I was had by the king! On day 4 or 5 of our elk hunt, we had all just settled in to our tents for a well deserved rest (around 10:00 PM if I remember correctly) and just over the bank from my tent I heard (we all heard) a loud scream that I had heard before in the elk woods (but not so close to my sleeping quarters). From his tent Joe hollered "what the F was that"? I responded with "mountain lion.... she woke me up and I was almost asleep". We didn't hear any other noises that night but a big cat so close to our tents made us take pause before we finally dozed off. Joe and I did a half day hunt the next morning and when we returned to camp we started discussing the screaming we had heard the night before. It seemed too "clear" if that makes any sense. My buddy and I started suspecting there was a rat in camp and we did a sweep below our tents for perhaps a predator call but found nothing. Yep, a few days later old Swede came clean and showed me his instrument that he had placed below our tents. What a jokester! A bit later in the evening he again came clean and told me the elk bugle we had heard down the road from camp on our July scouting trip was made by none other than the same electronic gadget. I admit, I was had..... by the King! 8-)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Lions, Tigers, and Elk... OH MY!

Postby Swede » 10 08, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Old age and treachery are known to be problematic. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Backyard » 10 09, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Now that's funny!
:lol: RJ you knew that by inviting this character into your camp something like this would surely happen?
Backyard

Postby olympushunt » 10 09, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Ya....I'm going to need my call back Swede. I have some yotes around here that need thinning. Oooops.....should I have PMed that??? ;)
olympushunt

Postby Swede » 10 09, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Ya. RJ is going to think we conspired on this little matter.
Swede

Postby olympushunt » 10 09, 2017 •  [Post 6]

RJ thinks I'm an angel though. lol I think he can figure out the problem area here. :lol:
Besides.....since this is a PM he can't see it anyhow!
olympushunt

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 10, 2017 •  [Post 7]

olympushunt wrote:RJ thinks I'm an angel though. lol I think he can figure out the problem area here. :lol:
Besides.....since this is a PM he can't see it anyhow!

Ahh, I see now. The perpetrator in this crime never did say where he obtained "Exhibit A"....Now I know. I'm afraid I have no choice but to tap phones, have operatives emplace surveillance cams at your residences, tree stand sites, etc..... This type of subversive (sedition in a sense) behavior will not be tolerated.. Big Brother is watching you two characters from this point on. .
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby olympushunt » 10 10, 2017 •  [Post 8]

Man.....I was juuuuuust getting on here to say to Swede that RJ and Larry were being awfully quiet and that was making me nervous. Carry on fellas. :lol:
olympushunt

Postby Elkhunttoo » 10 10, 2017 •  [Post 9]

Congrats Swede! You got the elk and the laugh! :D
Elkhunttoo

Postby lamrith » 10 11, 2017 •  [Post 10]

olympushunt wrote:Man.....I was juuuuuust getting on here to say to Swede that RJ and Larry were being awfully quiet and that was making me nervous. Carry on fellas. :lol:

Smart man, always be concerned when it gets deathly quiet.......
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry

Postby Swede » 10 11, 2017 •  [Post 11]

Those that hang out on this forum know I enjoy keeping things on the lighter side and want people to enjoy their experience. When I play a joke in camp I want the victim to get as good of a laugh in the end as anyone. I had one more sound planned that would have spilled the beans so to speak, but RJ got wise to what was happening.
Another joke that failed was different. One night late I got up and took some water and poured it out fairly low on the side of RJ's and Larry's tent. I wanted it to sound like I was relieving myself there, and even added an "aaaah" sound after the water was finished. I went straight back to my sleeping bag a few yards away, but no one woke up. It was a worthless stunt.
Swede