Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What is it?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What is it?

Postby Where's Bruce? » 10 12, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Can anyone here tell me what the "spirit of archery" is? I could not find a definition and being relatively new to bow hunting, am unfamiliar with the term. :roll:
Thanks.
Bowhunting isn't something I do...it is something I am.
Where's Bruce?

First Name: Bruce

Re: What is it?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 12, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Stranger, danger! Hide your kids, ferrets, and valuables. Please help me welcome WB to our humble campfire. He's one of us lost hunting souls from the W side of the big river. Not sure about your question Bruce, sounds like a Disney Movie ;).
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 10 12, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Certainly a big welcome Where's. It is good to have you at the campfire. Please don't ask those tough questions. It is like asking the meaning of life, or how big is God. I have only been shooting a bow since about 1971, so I may be too new to the sport to know the answer to tough questions about the spirit of archery.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Where's Bruce? » 10 12, 2017 •  [Post 4]

I've been led to believe it's a common knowledge kinda thing, is this true?

I appreciate the warm welcome, thank you. Just wondering if those bringing up this "spirit" thing are pullin' my chain.
Where's Bruce?

Postby Navesgane » 10 12, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Not sure but there's a book titled "Zen in the art of archery"
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff

Postby Fridaythe13th » 10 13, 2017 •  [Post 6]

Welcome: If I was every crazy enough to buy a big boat it sounds like a great name. "Spirit of Archery" port of the Rocky mountains.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Swede » 10 13, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Bruce, it sounds to me like you have someone that wants you to believe they are on a higher mountain than you are resting on. It is possible that someone invented the term by writing something somewhere, now your friend(s) are consumed by it. Just go hunting.
Swede

Postby Where's Bruce? » 10 13, 2017 •  [Post 8]

I sorta suspected it was hogwash from the start but it does sound "like a real thing" right? Anyway...I finally found it online. Here is the spirit of archery.

He does the right thing for the right reasons.
Where's Bruce?

Postby Swede » 10 13, 2017 •  [Post 9]

Who would have thunk it? :lol:
Swede

Postby >>>---WW----> » 10 13, 2017 •  [Post 10]

The Spirit of Archery!! HMMMMM! Sounds like something Ted Nugent would come up with! :lol:
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Roosiebull » 10 14, 2017 •  [Post 11]

Bruce, you have to consider the source ;) don't worry about it, make your own moral guidelines, and enjoy hunting at your pace. some people are so caught up in themselves, they actually believe their opinion is a fact....don't worry about them.

welcome to WT! super good group of folks here, tons of knowledge, and no (well maybe a little :lol: .....BS)
Roosiebull

Postby Where's Bruce? » 10 17, 2017 •  [Post 12]

Roosiebull wrote:Bruce, you have to consider the source ;) don't worry about it, make your own moral guidelines, and enjoy hunting at your pace. some people are so caught up in themselves, they actually believe their opinion is a fact....don't worry about them.

welcome to WT! super good group of folks here, tons of knowledge, and no (well maybe a little :lol: .....BS)

Because of the endless working days I have (75-90 hrs a week for the first 3 weeks of every mo) I have precious little time for much else so these little distractions (visits to hunting/outdoors forums) are my "recreational breaks" during the day. I take 6 or 8 five to ten minute cyber breaks each day to clear my head and focus on things I love. When such a forum becomes confrontational, argumentative or in some other way becomes "unappealing" I just move on. There are a billion such mental watering holes for people like me... this forum is one of them. I received a nice invitation to participate here a while back and when "that other site" lost its attraction it was a simple decision to move her. I will read more than post here for awhile, get a feel for the place and the players and go from there. As for those who "...are so caught up in themselves, they actually believe their opinion is fact..." I pity those who cannot easily remove them from their life as I did. Life is too short to allow asshats to adversely impact your mood. So far this feels like a genuinely more gregarious group...haven't spotted any egomaniacs yet. Well, besides me.

HA! Made ya smile.
Where's Bruce?

Postby Swede » 10 17, 2017 •  [Post 13]

Roosiebull wrote:welcome to WT! super good group of folks here, tons of knowledge, and no (well maybe a little .....BS)

This is all true. Even the part about things Roosie calls BS. I will call them misunderstandings. We see something once, twice or even three or more times and believe we understand what is going on. Sometimes we are right. Occasionally we are wrong. It is best not to be too dogmatic or too critical. If we keep our words sweet, they are easier for us to eat later. That is something I need to remind myself of frequently.
Swede

Postby Where's Bruce? » 10 18, 2017 •  [Post 14]

I cannot begin to understand the desire to operate a forum...the whole business model boggles my mind and it just seems like a venture ideal for someone seeking an excuse to drink. The balancing act must get old...moderation in moderation seems quite challenging but you guys appear to do a fine job of it. No doubt the role of horse tail to swat away the flies that arrive from time to time can be tedious but it is essential to such a place. I'll try not to miscommunicate. ;)
Where's Bruce?