Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Too old to hunt?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Too old to hunt?

Postby Lefty » 10 13, 2017 •  [Post 1]

My father in law has been hunting for over 75 years, Hes killed hundreds of deer, dozens over 30 inches. He knows of 21 bull elk, desert sheep , Mountain goats, he has tagged along moose hunting as a 83 and 86 year old with my youngest daughter and myself, . He was along for the shot last year when a nephew killed a big Utah bull.
This year at 88 years old he obtained a disabled hunters permit.
Tuesday my wife went deer hunting with him. I gave my wife instruction, "Dont let him walk" Well they just walked a short distance, and he missed a buck at 75 yards. He stated it was the 2nd time hes had "buck fever".
Then killed a 25 inch 4x4 an hour later.
With my wifes help they began gutting the deer. My wife said he began sucking air, my wife made him lay down for an hour. during that time he said he was done hunting,... for good. He gave my wife an old bolt action 30-06 and now only owns two long rifles .264, and 7 mm.

A few year back I always would meet an elderly gentle man the Opening day of Idaho waterfowl.
I went to check on him late in the afternoon. He should have been gone by that time for a Saturday evening church meeting. He stated it was his last hunt, and he was staying until sunset.

Just wondering how did your dad, friend or hunting budding end or their last hunt?
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Too old to hunt?

Postby ElkNut1 » 10 14, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Dennis, what a stud of a man there! I wish I could last a fraction of his time & success! He's definitely a warrior in my book!

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Swede » 10 14, 2017 •  [Post 3]

The last time I hunted with dad I got a buck. We gutted and skinned it near a road. All the time we were working on it dad was talking about future hunts he was looking forward to. That was his last season, and I am not sure he got out again with someone else or by himself. You may never know when the sun sets on a day, if it will be your last. Enjoy every outing as if it is your last.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 10 14, 2017 •  [Post 4]

ElkNut1 wrote:Dennis, what a stud of a man there! I wish I could last a fraction of his time & success! He's definitely a warrior in my book! ElkNut/Paul
Paul: he was hunting with a bow in the 50's, He killed a Mt goat and some sort of sheep in the 60's with a bow.
The man got out there and did it. He has a lot of real hunting related stories that will disappear when he dies. enough for a number of books. a "paid hunter" for wild game for food as a kid, Hunting Africa while on a Mormon mission. Rescuing people, finding dead frozen hunters, With hounds he tackled grizzlies, bank robbers and murderers. Surviving and keeping others alive on back country hunts.
One time they had to roll up their sheep hides/capes and cut them selves out the next day. As a bet he shot two running caribou on two consecutive shots at 650 yards, while he was standing.
He has plenty of stupid too. Now I need to write this story. He had an uncle that worked construction in Yellowstone. So he was in on opening the main Old faithful lodge a number of years , and most years bears were inside and they would run them out. Some years they killed a bear or two( or Three) inside the lodge. In the main lodge if you look up at those double logs about 30 feet up he killed a 2 year old bear with a ball pien hammer.
You mentioned warrior,.. I always think of the military,.. The army and air force caught him three times trying to enlist. He really wanted to fly,.. but he couldnt pass his medical.

My father had lung cancer his last few years. The local game warden set him up with a crossbow. My dad had a friend cut corn and leave standing corn so he could sit in the truck in standing corn field.My dad passed from cancer at 57. Other than archery hunting that last year, we were convinced he wanted to go while running traps. He made a better catch than most trappers ever make, and actually made headways on his declining health. I did get him out for a short day of fishing the week before he passed in the spring.
Lefty

Postby Elkhntr08 » 10 14, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Sounds like my kind of guy, never say die. My father in law had a double lung transplant and within a year was back out fishing. The man never gave up until the end and then went out on his own terms. The don't make many guys like that anymore.
Elkhntr08

Postby ishy » 10 15, 2017 •  [Post 6]

Been a year or two, but I asked a 95 year old patient how he was in February "Wish I was elk hunting!" was his response. He went on to tell me he had passed on a shot that year across a canyon due to feeling under gunned. So at 95 as soon as he got back went straight to Cabelas and bought a new 300 WM. to be ready for next year. He gave me a whole new level of hope when my 41 year old body feels like it's heading downhill.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Lefty » 10 15, 2017 •  [Post 7]

ishy wrote:Been a year or two, but I asked a 95 year old patient how he was in February "Wish I was elk hunting!" was his response. He went on to tell me he had passed on a shot that year across a canyon due to feeling under gunned. So at 95 as soon as he got back went straight to Cabelas and bought a new 300 WM. to be ready for next year. He gave me a whole new level of hope when my 41 year old body feels like it's heading downhill.

95 !! thats incredible
Lefty