Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Blood Shot Meat

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Blood Shot Meat

Postby Swede » 10 25, 2017 •  [Post 1]

I suppose all of us that have killed many animals with a broad-head have experienced blood shot meat. Has anyone ever had it near the entrance wound? All of mine has been close to the exit wound. What do you consider the cause of blood shot meat? Have any of you gun hunters had blood shot at the entrance? I just don't remember any there either.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Blood Shot Meat

Postby Roosiebull » 10 26, 2017 •  [Post 2]

yes, a couple with arrows, and several rifle hunting. with a rifle, if you hit either side of the scapula, there will be some blood shot, and the bullet construction usually has a lot to do with how much.

it seems on archery shots, it was when I clipped the back of the scapula that caused some blood shot to go under that shoulder. it has always been fairly easy to clean up with a bow...some rifle shots, close range with a soft bullet can get quite messy. I really try to avoid shoulders with a rifle.
Roosiebull

Postby Swede » 12 19, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Interesting. This year I had bloodshot meat in the ham where the arrow exited. I have seen most of the blood shot on the side of the animal outside of the ribs, but have seen it in the shoulder too. In fact I remember throwing one shoulder away that was totally bloodshot.
Swede

Postby Roosiebull » 12 20, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Swede, with arrows, I believe I see the same, mostly just outside of the ribs, and maybe minimal going under the shoulder a bit, but easy to deal with. rifle shot animals I have missed the shoulder, and still have mass bloodshot go under the shoulder, and even between the muscle groups at the base of the neck, I hate that. if distance is reasonable, and I have a good rest, I like to shoot deer in the neck with a rifle. bloodshot (in my experience) doesn't seem to spread much in the neck, just trim away the obvious bullet damage, and bone fragments, and still salvage a good portion of the neck. it's the cleanest shot I have found (not willing to take a head shot on purpose)

the neck shot is a funny thing (obviously a horrible idea with a bow) but with a rifle I have taken a few, and saw several more taken (probably 15 or so, with a couple being elk) I was a little leery of the shot for awhile, what if you don't make contact with bone? I have seen a few not hit bone, and a couple that didn't seem like it would cause the DRT effect, but so far (knock on wood) they all have fallen faster than gravity. I think the hydrostatic shock puts them out even if bone isn't hit. I don't think I would shoot an elk there, they are big hearty animals, and I could see hitting the wind pipe could have really poor results. on deer I will keep taking it when it's a realistic option (good rest inside 200 yds with a known range on the animal unless inside 100 yds) I don't like bloodshot at all. i'm also going to play with monolithic bullets before next year, they sound easy on meat, and shoot well from most rifles. I have barnes ttsx in my AR-15 currently for hunting lions, so hope to do some real world testing really soon ;)
Roosiebull

Postby Lefty » 12 20, 2017 •  [Post 5]

My dad didn't want blood shot game or damaged meat . My parents were freaks about saving all game meat. When they were done processing a deer, the bones looked like the magpies had been on the carcass for a week. Squrrils had to be head shot.
Bullets displace a tremendous amount of energy, and typically that is what we want a bullet to do. Varmit hunting for fur I want to keep a small hole entrance and exit hole. Big game I want an expanding bullet that stays together, shotgun loads I want a larger sized shot, fewer holes in the bird with shot exiting the bird or close up head and neck shots.

A fast dead animal has less blood shot If if is messy it is saved for the dogs
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Tigger » 12 20, 2017 •  [Post 6]

Swede,
The cause of blood shot meat is bleeding.

Your welcome!
Tigger

Postby pointysticks » 12 20, 2017 •  [Post 7]

I’d argue blood shot meat is the result of the shot:)
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Swede » 12 20, 2017 •  [Post 8]

In 1994 I shot a bull on the first morning of the season. It was a small 5X5. The bull was slightly quartering away when it was hit with my arrow, which passed completely through the body and the broadhead lodged in the off side shoulder. The meat outside of the ribs, near the exit, was a huge mess of blood shot slime. The shoulder was turned into something that looked like hamburger with sinews throughout, but zero bloodshot. The bull ran about 200 yards before tipping over. The broadhead had to be cutting and churning as the critter ran off. Why all of the bloodshot outside the ribs next to the thrashed shoulder? Why none in the shoulder? Why am I not getting blood shot at the entrance wound? Are you guys getting blood shot at the entrance? What make me wonder is the elk I shot this year. It had blood shot meat in the offside ham and nowhere else. The spike was quartering to me when shot.
Swede

Postby Roosiebull » 12 20, 2017 •  [Post 9]

I guess I need to start paying closer attention. I don't have enough in my memory to help.

I have heard a few theories on what actually causes bloodshot, but I don't trust any of them enough to even repeat :lol: somebody knows the whole process, and the cause, but it isn't me. it seems consistently inconsistent like many other aspects of killing animals with bullets and arrows. I guess I have never really been a "why?" guy either, I just accept things and move on, don't need to know the details :D
Roosiebull