Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

The Out Of State Hunter

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

The Out Of State Hunter

Postby Swede » 11 01, 2017 •  [Post 1]

It seems the out of State hunter is disliked by many and blamed for many in State hunter's lack of success. Over the years I have hunted with seven out of State hunters, as best I can remember, while hunting in Oregon. When hunting Out of State, including Canada, the number goes significantly higher. My observation is that out of State hunters are law abiding, and careful to reflect the best in being sportsmanship. I have read of some that crossed the legal line, but can't say I have ever observed it.
As a general rule, and I know of some exceptions, they have been skilled and accomplished hunters that hunt hard and give it their best every day they are out. Most are very friendly and easy to talk to.
So, why the blame game? Why do in State hunters feel they are a problem or the problem?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: The Out Of State Hunter

Postby wawhitey » 11 01, 2017 •  [Post 2]

We dont really have out of state hunters here, as the non resident fees dont really line up with the opportunities. Here we hate the coasties!
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Tigger » 11 02, 2017 •  [Post 3]

I am the out of state hunter. I have hunted CO, WY, ID, ND, SD, and MT. Fortunately for me, I try and go where other hunters don't go so I really don't cross paths with many other hunters. When I have crossed paths with other hunters in the field, I have always had nice conversations and both gave and received advice.

However, it is real. I have felt it in the towns. I really felt it asking permission in ND. In fact, of all the places I have hunted, the rudest people by far have been ND landowners.

On the flip side, I have asked 1 landowner in WY and met some of the nicest people on the planet. I wanted to stay and talk to them for hours!

I have observed some very questionable and unethical hunting by resident hunters. In WY, we were glassing a piece of public land and some nut sack roared his pickup right in front of us and cut us off.
Tigger

Postby Lefty » 11 02, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Ive lived and have been a resident of a few different states.
"locals" tend to blame their problems on out of state drivers, or Californians, or out of state hunters.
Take a look at those locals that are complaining.
I help manage hunters on an LDS Church Welfare Farm. Over 1/2 of the hunters are Utahans ( put a derogatory voice inflection here :roll: ) There are a handfull of locals with the same respect to the property.
There is an overwhelming problem with an extremely high percentage of "locals";Hunting without permission, driving on fields and wet fields, leaving trash including alcoholic beverage containers, setting up in safety zones too close to houses.

I tend believe in most hunting situations the OOS is more likely to be more respectful.
When we use to commercially fur trap we were always in "someone elses" trapping area. Believe me the local guys felt threatened by non locals. Three violations and you lost your hunting trapping, and fishing. That could mean tree un-tagged traps or three traps on private property.
Of course there are some that hunt the backwoods or the wild west and think they can do as they please. But its the local guys that hunts 3 5 10 times days a year that is most often the culprit and complainer.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Navesgane » 11 02, 2017 •  [Post 5]

I've found that a lot (most) of the people that complain about non residents being part of their lack of hunting success are the same ones that blame predators on their lack of hunting success-in other words, they're just looking for any excuse to put the blame on except themselves.
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff

Postby Elkduds » 11 02, 2017 •  [Post 6]

I used to be biased against nonresidents, it went like this:
1. Not from here, out of state.
2. From where? TX, CA were the worst because they are most numerous.
3. In my camping area.
4. In my hunting area.
5. Unsafe: campfire, drunk, bad driving, dangerous shooting.
5. Bad neighbors: run generator all night, race around on atvs, theft.
6. Slob hunters: wound/lose game, shoot over closer hunters @ long range game, atvs off trails.
7. Dickish personalities.

My mind has changed some:

1. They are paying for my CPW and keeping my fees lower. If they were all from here, this state would be unlivable. They bring $ from low elevations to high elevations, drop it off, then go home. And the clincher, THEY CAN SUPPORT OR OPPOSE PUBLIC LANDS so we need them on our side.
2. Every state has Dbags, including mine and yours.
3. Still not OK, but I have options.
4. Ditto.
5, 6, 7. See #2 above.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby Deanmac » 11 02, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Elkduds wrote:I used to be biased against nonresidents, it went like this:
3. In my camping area.
4. In my hunting area.
6. Slob hunters: wound/lose game, shoot over closer hunters @ long range game, atvs off trails.

1. They are paying for my CPW and keeping my fees lower. If they were all from here, this state would be unlivable. They bring $ from low elevations to high elevations, drop it off, then go home. And the clincher, THEY CAN SUPPORT OR OPPOSE PUBLIC LANDS so we need them on our side.
4. Ditto.
5, 6, 7. See #2 above.

Which category do I fall into in the 1 to 7 above?
Deanmac

Postby Elkduds » 11 02, 2017 •  [Post 8]

Deanmac wrote:
3. In my camping area.
4. In my hunting area.

4. Ditto.
5, 6, 7. See #2 above.

A category all your own, the opposite of all my misconceptions. Hunting w you 2 helped w changing my mind. I wish everyone I hunted around did like you do :!:
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby Deanmac » 11 03, 2017 •  [Post 9]

Elkduds wrote:
Deanmac wrote:
3. In my camping area.
4. In my hunting area.

4. Ditto.
5, 6, 7. See #2 above.

A category all your own, the opposite of all my misconceptions. Hunting w you 2 helped w changing my mind. I wish everyone I hunted around did like you do :!:

Thank you, I feel like I made a good friend on that trip last year!!!
Deanmac

Postby Where's Bruce? » 11 04, 2017 •  [Post 10]

I hunt outta state alot and have never been mistreated out west or in Canada. But I do know that residents in CO have real issues with NR hunters and deal with some real hillbilly crap especially when archery and muzzleloader seasons overlap. Best rule of thumb is to avoid high traffic areas of units...get away from the crowd. Being a subject residing in the People's Republik of Mexifornia I kinda expect to get attitude whenever I admit where I'm from but haven't had anyone give me a hard time yet. Quite the opposite actually.
Bowhunting isn't something I do...it is something I am.
Where's Bruce?

First Name: Bruce

Postby >>>---WW----> » 11 08, 2017 •  [Post 11]

Seeing as how I have been a hunting guide, a national forest campground host, and a part time employee for the Colorado CPW, I think I have just about seen it all. And to be down right honest about it, out of state hunters aren't half bad when compared to a lot of the resident hunters from the big cities on the eastern slope.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics