Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Thiefs...

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Thiefs...

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 14, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Have you ever had anything stolen during a hunt (from base camp, your parked rig, trail cams, etc.)?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Thiefs...

Postby Roosiebull » 11 14, 2017 •  [Post 2]

I had an Elite GT500 stolen from my pickup while helping a buddy track a bull, only used it that one season....I guess the glass half full was I never cared for the grip on that bow ;)
Attachments
clau bull.jpg
clau bull.jpg (278.6 KiB) Viewed 9899 times
Roosiebull

Postby Roosiebull » 11 14, 2017 •  [Post 3]

.....and a couple t cams
Roosiebull

Postby >>>---WW----> » 11 15, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Had my truck broke into in Denver once . Damn city slickers! But around here, no problem. Everyone knows you don't mess with anyones stuff. It's the code of the west. Besides, you never know who might be hiding in the woods with a gun. :shock:
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 11 15, 2017 •  [Post 5]

I had one of my best tree stands stolen. I am 99% sure I know who did it, but could not prove it. I have also had several drop lines taken. I don't understand why anyone would take a cheap cord. They are a $2 item and if they had asked I would have given them one. Rather than go back to camp one time I decided I could get into my stand carrying my bow and equipment with me as I went up and down. Huge mistake. I fell 12 feet onto my head and shoulders. I had the impact area of my neck X-rayed years later and the doctor said it looks like I was in a bad car wreck. It felt like I was in a bad car wreck for about awhile too.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Magic » 11 15, 2017 •  [Post 6]

I have never had anything stolen, but I do secure things to remove temptation and not make it easy. For example it's easy to put the generator in the locked trailer during the day.
Magic

First Name: Lynn
Last Name: D

Postby Tigger » 11 15, 2017 •  [Post 7]

I have never had anything stolen and I am very thankful. As stated, I remove as much temptation as possible. Out of sight, out of mind.
Tigger

Postby Lefty » 11 15, 2017 •  [Post 8]

40 years back someone took my wallet from my truck. I didnt even know it was gone. Sunday morning some big dude with hair to the center of his back was knocking on my door,..
He had been out on a horse ride and found all my scattered stuff from my wallet.

I rolled my pickup running a trap line, some guy got my camera, 10/22, Ithaca 37-A, Bushnell binos and a Rapela fillet knife. 10 Years later I spotted the car that I saw stop. 64 4-door red Chevy Impala with a white roof. My dad convinced me nothing good would come of it knocking on the door of the house.
A lot of traps and fur stolen when prices were high.
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby wawhitey » 11 15, 2017 •  [Post 9]

Ive had a couple cameras stolen, both in spots i knew were high risk. Unfortunately, this pic is from one of them. I dont even care so much about the camera, as i xare zbout the fsct ghat i cant monitor this wallow anymore. I know who it was too. Xaught him and his buddy returning to the scene of the crime shortly after. Little punk yelled to his buddy "oh s***, he IS here, RUN! I know tgeir names now. And where they live. If thry do anything stupid agsin, theyll regret it.
Attachments
u2pjTq7h-800x600.jpg
u2pjTq7h-800x600.jpg (211.46 KiB) Viewed 9865 times
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Roosiebull » 11 16, 2017 •  [Post 10]

Lefty wrote:10 Years later I spotted the car that I saw stop. 64 4-door red Chevy Impala with a white roof. My dad convinced me nothing good would come of it.

when my bow was stolen, I thought it would end up on craigslist eventually.... after much consideration, I decided not to even look. what would I do if I found it? police likely wouldn't do anything, and I don't need a bow being the cause of an assault charge, and never be able to purchase a firearm again....just wasn't worth it.
Roosiebull

Postby Washington Wapiti » 11 20, 2017 •  [Post 11]

This topic chaps my hide. I don't mess other people's crap, I expect the same courtesy. Yep, I just joined the ranks last year after 7 years of peaceful co-existence. Last year it was a trail cam and my whole treestand rig... M100U, screw in steps, drop-line, and Life Line. The Millennium stands aren't cheap either. This year it was the same plus another trail cam. However, this year I got smart. I put a Spypoint cell cam out and when they came to take it...it snapped some pics and sent them to my cell. Instantly busted. I thought I was playing it safe cable locking my stand along with the cams, but all they did was shoot them off with a 9mm. These people are locals, and a disappointment to find out that they are folks I run into regularly there while scouting and checking cams. Usually a pleasant hello in passing. The night before opening the kids brought the stuff back plus an apology note and a couple hundred dollars stuffed into the housing of the Spypoint. It was an uncomfortable confrontation to say the least, 9:30 at night. My brother and I reamed them a bit and then I shaked their hand and thanked them for doing the right thing and bringing it back. They didn't cop to the stuff last from last year, when I flat-out asked them. But my Life Line from last year's set up was in with all the other stuff (don't know if they knew that or not), so I know for a fact it was them. It's unfortunately going to change how I prepare and scout the area from now on. Not sure what I'll do next year exactly, but it's no longer safe to put cams out or treestands in advance anymore. Some people live by an "interesting" code.
The only time I've hugged a tree is to hang a stand.
Washington Wapiti

First Name: SHAWN

Postby Tigger » 11 21, 2017 •  [Post 12]

One thing we all should do is write identifying info (name?) somewhere hard to find. Using the example of a tree stand, how would you legally identify it? Well, officer, why don't you take that screw out and lift up the seat....see my name there? That is my stand. Cuff'em!
Tigger

Postby >>>---WW----> » 11 21, 2017 •  [Post 13]

I guess I'm a thief! Well, not really. It was a rainy/chilly morning and I was soaked to the bone with early signs of hypothermia. (Bet I won't go without my rain gear again)!!!!!!!! Anyhow I was lucky enough to stumble upon another guys camp. It was easy to tell that he hadn't been there for quite awhile. Probably a weekend hunter. In his little two man tent was a sleeping bag, a two burner Coleman stove, and a Coleman lantern. I was cold and wet and in serious condition so I peeled off my clothes and hopped in his sleeping bag and lit the stove and lantern for warmth.

When I finally got home, I ask around and found out who the camp belonged to. So I went to his house and explained what I had done and I took a gallon of Coleman fuel to replace more than I had used. So in a way, I suppose I did take some of his property (fuel) but at least I had the decency to own up to it and replace it with more than I had taken.
>>>---WW---->

Postby Tigger » 11 21, 2017 •  [Post 14]

WW,
That isn't being a thief! I have a kinda similar story.

Rocky Mtn National Park. My wife and I had our 6 month old little girl and we went on an easy, but long hike. Had the baby in one of those backpack things. On the last stretch back to the campground, a whole herd of cows came off the slope to our left onto the road we were walking down. This being Elktember, I had my head on a swivel looking for the bull. It was really thick and sure enough, the bull pops out on the road ahead of us...with his cows behind us. He turns and comes right at us. Luckily, there was a Jeep parked in a little pullout right next to us. I gently urged (wait, it might have been a little more than gentle and way more intense than urged!) my wife to get over by the Jeep. Here came the bull right at us! I told her, "Get in the Jeep"! The bull stopped at the back of the Jeep for a long time looking at us. After the herd (and bull) walked away, we started walking back to camp. Not 5 minutes later the guy in the Jeep drove past us. We waved, but he kept going. We didn't take or use anything other than his Jeep for shelter from a rutted up bull. I am sure glad that Jeep was there.
Tigger

Postby elkhuntfever » 12 01, 2017 •  [Post 15]

Someone pried the wing window open on my '74 Dodge van and stole a .22 rifle while I was deer hunting. I am almost over it.
elkhuntfever

Postby Lefty » 12 01, 2017 •  [Post 16]

I just spoke to a fellow this morning. Someone broke into their place, took firearms , Swarovski bino and scope and some other hunting related items while they were out for dinner.
The only reason the guy was out hunting this morning the thief missed his gun behind the door.
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Roosiebull » 12 03, 2017 •  [Post 17]

Washington Wapiti wrote:This topic chaps my hide. I don't mess other people's crap, I expect the same courtesy. Yep, I just joined the ranks last year after 7 years of peaceful co-existence. Last year it was a trail cam and my whole treestand rig... M100U, screw in steps, drop-line, and Life Line. The Millennium stands aren't cheap either. This year it was the same plus another trail cam. However, this year I got smart. I put a Spypoint cell cam out and when they came to take it...it snapped some pics and sent them to my cell. Instantly busted. I thought I was playing it safe cable locking my stand along with the cams, but all they did was shoot them off with a 9mm. These people are locals, and a disappointment to find out that they are folks I run into regularly there while scouting and checking cams. Usually a pleasant hello in passing. The night before opening the kids brought the stuff back plus an apology note and a couple hundred dollars stuffed into the housing of the Spypoint. It was an uncomfortable confrontation to say the least, 9:30 at night. My brother and I reamed them a bit and then I shaked their hand and thanked them for doing the right thing and bringing it back. They didn't cop to the stuff last from last year, when I flat-out asked them. But my Life Line from last year's set up was in with all the other stuff (don't know if they knew that or not), so I know for a fact it was them. It's unfortunately going to change how I prepare and scout the area from now on. Not sure what I'll do next year exactly, but it's no longer safe to put cams out or treestands in advance anymore. Some people live by an "interesting" code.

very well handled on your end! glad you got some of your stuff back, and it seems it would be safe to put your stands back up there, I don't see them repeating that mistake after everything that happened.

but I could be wrong.
Roosiebull

Postby Washington Wapiti » 12 04, 2017 •  [Post 18]

Roosiebull wrote:
Washington Wapiti wrote:This topic chaps my hide. I don't mess other people's crap, I expect the same courtesy. Yep, I just joined the ranks last year after 7 years of peaceful co-existence. Last year it was a trail cam and my whole treestand rig... M100U, screw in steps, drop-line, and Life Line. The Millennium stands aren't cheap either. This year it was the same plus another trail cam. However, this year I got smart. I put a Spypoint cell cam out and when they came to take it...it snapped some pics and sent them to my cell. Instantly busted. I thought I was playing it safe cable locking my stand along with the cams, but all they did was shoot them off with a 9mm. These people are locals, and a disappointment to find out that they are folks I run into regularly there while scouting and checking cams. Usually a pleasant hello in passing. The night before opening the kids brought the stuff back plus an apology note and a couple hundred dollars stuffed into the housing of the Spypoint. It was an uncomfortable confrontation to say the least, 9:30 at night. My brother and I reamed them a bit and then I shaked their hand and thanked them for doing the right thing and bringing it back. They didn't cop to the stuff last from last year, when I flat-out asked them. But my Life Line from last year's set up was in with all the other stuff (don't know if they knew that or not), so I know for a fact it was them. It's unfortunately going to change how I prepare and scout the area from now on. Not sure what I'll do next year exactly, but it's no longer safe to put cams out or treestands in advance anymore. Some people live by an "interesting" code.

very well handled on your end! glad you got some of your stuff back, and it seems it would be safe to put your stands back up there, I don't see them repeating that mistake after everything that happened.

but I could be wrong.

Thanks Roosiebull. Logically, I would also think that as well. And you may be right! Not sure exactly what I'll do. I guess I have some time to think about it. Maybe put a cheap camera up to test the waters.
The only time I've hugged a tree is to hang a stand.
Washington Wapiti

First Name: SHAWN

Postby PublicLandCarnivore » 01 01, 2018 •  [Post 19]

12-13 years ago, I came up light on moose meat from a game processor. He told me a lot of the meat had spoiled- but the bull had been on ice for 12 hours after I shot it. Found out later that he was skimming meat for his wild game jerky business. That was the first and last animal I took to a processor. I'm sure their are a lot of excellent game processors, but now my kids are old enough so I have free labor.
PublicLandCarnivore

Postby stringunner » 01 07, 2018 •  [Post 20]

Nothing during hunting season, but this past summer I had a nice stihl chainsaw stolen from the back of my pickup while the family and I just stopped briefly for an ice cream on the way home from a camping trip. It really irked me.
stringunner