Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Go now, or wait?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Go now, or wait?

Postby wawhitey » 11 18, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Well, i knew it was time to make a move yesterday, but i second guessed myself. At about 4pm i saw a big buck run along the crest of a low ridge about 1000 yards away or so. Saw him through my 15x binos and could see he was clearly big even from that range. The sighting lasted all of 2 seconds, and he vanished into some brush.
I knew that was my opportunity to hustle over there, but i hesitated. Started wondering if he didnt drop down the back side of the ridge, maybe i should give it a minute and see where he comes out, which way hes going, i have a lot of ground to cover. Well, like a fool i waited. And waited. 20 minutes later he pops out of the brush right where he went in and just stood there facing my direction, surveying his domain for another 10 minutes. Then i hustled. At the end of legal shooting light i was 450 yards from him and could barely see him. If i would have just made my move right off the bat, i would have ended up with an easy 200-300 yard shot on him with plenty of light, but i hesitated, second guessing myself.
Dont think i spooked him though. Waiting for daylight now. Hoping i see him again today. This time i wont hesitate, ill make my move as soon as possible. Need a closer look, but pretty much positive this was a buck id want to put my raffle tag on.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Re: Go now, or wait?

Postby Tigger » 11 18, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Don't have regrets ! You made the best decision you could have with the information you had at the time. Hindsight is always perfect.
Tigger

Postby Swede » 11 18, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Wouldn't things be different if we did not make the wrong choice quite so often? Good luck getting him.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Roosiebull » 11 19, 2017 •  [Post 4]

in hunting, there is ALWAYS hindsight when something doesn't pan out. there was no clear decision to be made, you reacted to your immediate instinct, it could have just as easily been the wise decision to make...just a hindsight thing, good luck with him!
Roosiebull

Postby wawhitey » 11 19, 2017 •  [Post 5]

2 more days freezing my butt off and no sign of him. Hoping hes just making the rounds, and will return in next few days. Camped out sleeping in the bed of my truck at 4k+ ft. Cold as hell, wind is HOWLING. I aint goin nowhere. I have a good feeling that hell be back around before too long. Lots of studies done with collared bucks that show them doing circuits during the rut. How far / long the circuits are generally depending on doe density. Pretty dang low density here, being in high elevation timberland with no agriculture, so i might be in for a long, cold, discouraging wait. Im gonna tough it out for a few days. Time is on my side. Been seeing more mule deer than whitetail, but thats to be expected in an area like this.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Roosiebull » 11 21, 2017 •  [Post 6]

good luck! it will feel good if you get him.
Roosiebull