Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What in the heck..... is that smell?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What in the heck..... is that smell?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 09, 2017 •  [Post 1]

On the tail of Saddlesore's post in the pack cleaning thread ("I had a nasty smell in my upland game coat; I had left two doves in there unnoticed for a year in my gear shed"). I'd like to talk nasty smells that we have encountered over our time on this planet. I remember, quite clearly, a time in our small house in Libby, MT where I'd left a couple of brookies in an old wicker creel in my closet for a good week (nope, I don't remember why the creel was in my closet).... Well, once my mom finally ordered me to find what she was smelling in the boys room and I opened and stuck my nose in that creel, to 100% confirm the pin point location of said bad smell.... it was a smell that I will never forget (well, at least until the next worst smell). I think Foxworthy may have on to something here.......

Tell us about some bad smells you've had the pleasure of experiencing :D
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: What in the heck..... is that smell?

Postby wawhitey » 12 09, 2017 •  [Post 2]

You ever leave home for 3 months and forget to take the trash out first? :mrgreen:
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby wawhitey » 12 09, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Speaking of the fish rj, our chairs in the wheelhouses of our boats are mounted on a 4" diameter polished steel pipe. One of the guys snuck onto another boat, unscrewed the chair, filled the chair "leg" up with raw fish, and put the chair back. It took some time for the crew of that boat to finally locate the smell. Pure genius. Almost as good as the guys that trapped a live porcupine and released it in the captains head on another boat while it was tied up at a dock.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 09, 2017 •  [Post 4]

wawhitey wrote:You ever leave home for 3 months and forget to take the trash out first? :mrgreen:

Possibly, but maybe not for 3 months :shock:. Holy hell.....
WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 09, 2017 •  [Post 5]

wawhitey wrote:Speaking of the fish rj, our chairs in the wheelhouses of our boats are mounted on a 4" diameter polished steel pipe. One of the guys snuck onto another boat, unscrewed the chair, filled the chair "leg" up with raw fish, and put the chair back. It took some time for the crew of that boat to finally locate the smell. Pure genius. Almost

Brilliant! A well thought out plan for sure.
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 12 09, 2017 •  [Post 6]

I had a dead mouse in the car heater duct work. I knew where it was, but it was not easy to get to. There certainly was an incentive to get it out.
Probably the worst around hunting camp came from one of the guys who went home early and left parts of an elk carcass way too close to where we were camping. I think it was my brother that went out back and buried it. Note to others: just because you are leaving soon is no reason to just go out a short way behind the camp to get rid or unwanted carcass parts.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Roosiebull » 12 10, 2017 •  [Post 7]

When I was younger, I had a 4runner, and in the fall when I was fishing a lot, stuff always got left in there...that rig was a perpetual "what's that smell?"
Roosiebull

Postby saddlesore » 12 10, 2017 •  [Post 8]

Friend of mine had bear meat in his freezer in the garage. His kids were playing out there and must have unplugged the freezer. It was that way for about a month.He asked me to come over and help clean it out .We would pull a few packs of meat out and puke,pull a few packs out and puke.The freezer went to the dump. We could not get that smell out

Another friend got on a blood trial of an elk that someone else had shot and not followed up on. After about 3 hours in the dark,we lost the trail in the country below the snow line. Four of us went back the next morning and found the trail. We found the elk dead about a 1/2 mile away.It had been gut shot.When we rolled it over, all that gut gas and spoiled meat smell escaped.More puking
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Tigger » 12 11, 2017 •  [Post 9]

Dad went to pick up our venison brats from the butcher long ago. Little did he know, on the way back, a package rolled under his seat. This being December in Minnesota, it stayed frozen until April or May. By then he had forgot about the meat of course. Boy did that stink!

But that pales in comparison to this next little ordeal. My dad and his uncle went in on some property together. Years later they wanted to sell so they put a semi-trailer with the "For Sale" details on a little field road that was next to the freeway. They knew the neighbor was a jerk, but never in a million years did they think this guy would throw 6 deer carcasses in the back of that old trailer. Along about June, they went to get the trailer and found a mess of goo, bones, insects and yuk from those 6 deer. I am so happy I didn't have to deal with that one.
Tigger

Postby Lefty » 12 11, 2017 •  [Post 10]

I had a litter of opossums crawl into some crab pots,..

A litter of skunks got into the pit blinds, By October they didnt smell too bad

We found a grizzlie killed black bear while we were working a bull, ( that got downwind and busted us.)
A muskrat slid under the seat of our boat, by spring it was bad.
A carp that got missed in the boat after bowfishing,. 3 hot days yee-ow-wee
I use to spray the back- passenger tire with fox urine before asking permissions, mostly kept the mean dogs entertained
Caught a coyote in the Gifford Pinchot National forest. I think it had been rolling in rotten salmon for weeks,.

Spilled milk from baby bottles in two different new cars :roll:

I found a number of dead animals by the smell including a wolf that may have gotten stuck in the mud.

Since I use to make a lot of trapping lures and baits, while most of what we made we didnt want to get rank just a bit tainted.
We did use a lot of skunk essence

Our carcass pile , only happened one year. What didnt get eaten by the birds all winter our carcass pile got strong by March, If the wind was wrong( or right) that odor carried a long ways.
We eventually wised up.. dug a hole in October and covered with dirt as soon as we could in the spring.

Now the peasure of smelling. Fox prices were very high. We often gang set 3-5 traps very close. One location held a skunk with two trapped fox within feet. I still dont mind the mild fragrance :) of skunk ( or mink or beaver castor)

And that nasty kid I had to wrestle,.. his singlet had to be the worst ever
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Elkhntr08 » 12 11, 2017 •  [Post 11]

Had a couple move out of one of our rentals a couple days before I left for Colorado. Two weeks later, home and not one thought about the house. A month later, the guy calls about his deposit. Go in to check the place out. Nobody cleaned out the fridge and the power was shut off. Told the guy I wanted a new fridge and the old one gone. Him and his buddy puked before they got it duct taped up and out the door. Almost felt bad sitting in the truck watching, almost.
Elkhntr08

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 11, 2017 •  [Post 12]

Holy hell.....better (or worse) than I was hoping for :/.
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 12 11, 2017 •  [Post 13]

I have a friend that was the head mechanic at a Chevrolet garage. One day a new car was brought back for some for some repair. The trunk was full of putrid rotting salmon. My friend had to clean out the car so it could be taken into the garage and worked on. I understand the business owner told the car buyer not to bring the car in like that again, but still it was rough duty cleaning up there. I wonder how the car owner could stand to drive it.

I did a stupid stunt as a kid. There was a dead bloated cow not far away. It was not nearly far enough away for what I did. I had my 6.5 Swede Mauser and shot into the grossly bloated carcass that was up wind of my brother and me. We did not get sprayed, but there was a terrible stench that exploded out of that dead animal. My brother still reminds me of that incident from over 55 years in our past. He reminds me that he told me not to do it.
Swede

Postby Roosiebull » 12 12, 2017 •  [Post 14]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Holy hell.....better (or worse) than I was hoping for :/.

you asked the right group of people about bad smells :lol:

the list is long for me, from mentioned above, to forgotten bait coolers, to leaving the buckets of scrap meat from processing a deer or elk, go to work for a week, come back and walk in my shop....eeeewwwww!

fish carcasses forgotten in a cooler for a long time is about the most putrid, I have tossed a couple coolers because of that mistake.
Roosiebull

Postby Lefty » 12 12, 2017 •  [Post 15]

I posted this when it happened years back
2AM I could see headlights ion the 2 track Im camped on . I ready to get into my truck . I see taillights and they are gone. The next morning I find freezer tied shut that reaks bad. Do I go find cell service and call the sheriff. I could only think it was a body.
I cut the rope,.. open the lid,.. full of dead birds

Every spring running a trap line for beaver there were alway s big dead animals that sat all winter, horses, cows pigs, deer, dog,
Lefty

Postby pointysticks » 12 13, 2017 •  [Post 16]

my BIL..is special.

(i cant believe i still bought him his first handgun)

anyways. he was fishing for rockfish on a party boat. they did well; even got some crab from traps. he called me and asked me what to do.

"you have an ice chest right?"
"no"
"okay, go to a hardware store, or grocery store and buy one of those cheapie styrofoam icechest - get the fish in there ASAP!, come over later and i'll help you clean everything"
"okay, got it."

he comes meandering in hours later. plops an icechest on my kitchen counter with that "i brought fresh meat!" look on his face.

i open the ice chest and WOOF! i look at him and said, "you didnt buy ice?!"

i was dumbfounded how any adult could have such a lack of common sense..i simply walked away..my wife made him take it to a church dumpster. the fish was all slimy and ooozy..just floating in this liquid.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 14, 2017 •  [Post 17]

pointysticks wrote:my BIL..is special.

(i cant believe i still bought him his first handgun)

anyways. he was fishing for rockfish on a party boat. they did well; even got some crab from traps. he called me and asked me what to do.

"you have an ice chest right?"
"no"
"okay, go to a hardware store, or grocery store and buy one of those cheapie styrofoam icechest - get the fish in there ASAP!, come over later and i'll help you clean everything"
"okay, got it."

he comes meandering in hours later. plops an icechest on my kitchen counter with that "i brought fresh meat!" look on his face.

i open the ice chest and WOOF! i look at him and said, "you didnt buy ice?!"

i was dumbfounded how any adult could have such a lack of common sense..i simply walked away..my wife made him take it to a church dumpster. the fish was all slimy and ooozy..just floating in this liquid.

That's just nasty right there :shock:
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 12 14, 2017 •  [Post 18]

pointysticks wrote:my wife made him take it to a church dumpster.

Did you folks get the sermon on not using the Church dumpster as a receptacle for rotten fish? On my list of jobs at the Church is a line for being the janitor. You would not believe what people dump.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 12 28, 2017 •  [Post 19]

Swede wrote:. You would not believe what people dump.
I do a little security type work for our church farms,
Tuesday I watched a fellow drive in the parking lot right to the dumpster and start dumping, which made me think of your post. just Christmas wrapping
Lefty

Postby pointysticks » 12 29, 2017 •  [Post 20]

Jesus was a fisherman..i think he understood.

i actually have zero clue where the dude dumped it. my garbage was off limits.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l