Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

One more day

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

One more day

Postby saddlesore » 12 17, 2017 •  [Post 1]

And then you guyswon't have to put up with me for awhile. Tuesday I am getting a new right shoulder. Don't think I can type with one left hand.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Re: One more day

Postby ElkNut1 » 12 17, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Vince, you're not getting off that easy! (grin) I type regularly with one finger so I know you can do it too! Good luck bud on the surgery, don't give the Docs & Nursers to much trouble! (grin)

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 17, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Best wishes on your procedure Vince. One bionic shoulder on the way! Enjoy that fine hospital chow ;).
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Elkduds » 12 17, 2017 •  [Post 4]

A New Shoulder For Christmas. Sell that story to the Hallmark Channel! I hope the surgery is successful and your recovery is smooth and complete. Maybe Santa will bring you velcro shoes and sweatpants.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby Swede » 12 17, 2017 •  [Post 5]

That is a lame excuse for ignoring us, but best wishes anyway. Don't give the mules too much of a vacation. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby T.B. » 12 18, 2017 •  [Post 6]

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Get back in the saddle soon
T.B.

Postby >>>---WW----> » 12 18, 2017 •  [Post 7]

I'm a one finger search and destroy typer! Ain't no reason you can't do the same! Wishing you a speedy recovery. ;)
>>>---WW---->

Postby Deanmac » 12 18, 2017 •  [Post 8]

hope it goes well, I enjoy your post, use one finger !!!
Deanmac

Postby Tigger » 12 18, 2017 •  [Post 9]

Best wishes Vince! Heal quickly!
Tigger

Postby Magic » 12 18, 2017 •  [Post 10]

I wish you the best and a speedy recovery my friend.
Magic

First Name: Lynn
Last Name: D

Postby Lefty » 12 18, 2017 •  [Post 11]

You will have plenty of time to type with one finger.
I had my rotator cuff and some bone cut out, a nuisance painful recovery. Do all the PT. still took 3 years to shoot from the 3 point line with a basketball
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Elkhntr08 » 12 18, 2017 •  [Post 12]

Had mine rebuilt back in 2013. Not much fun but well worth the time and pain. Yes there was pain! Do the rehab and you’ll be fine.
Took me about 3 months to get back to shooting my bow. Put 50# limbs on a bow to start out. Good luck.
Elkhntr08

Postby Backyard » 12 18, 2017 •  [Post 13]

What a X-mas present!
I've had both rotator cuffs repaired in the last 5 years. I sit at a computer most of the day and I did the peck thing, but I also picked up a trackball mouse for about $25 online. It really helped when I had the right (I'm a righty) done, I'd just hold the mouse in my palm against my torso while it was in the sling and use my thumb and index finger. Works great!
Good luck bud!

https://www.google.com/search?q=trackba ... 2347220595
Backyard

Postby saddlesore » 12 18, 2017 •  [Post 14]

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement from all. I'll talk to you on the flip side. I found out today,I have to be at the hospital at 5AM for 7:15 surgery.

This is a reverse shoulder implant.The surgeon takes the ball and socket out and puts a implant in with the ball in the shoulder and the socket in the arm.
Hoping I will be back shooting elk by next hunting season
saddlesore

Postby Swede » 12 18, 2017 •  [Post 15]

Prayer sent. Get well and keep us in the loop. I am sure there are a lot of elk out there that you will need to give the 54 cal. treatment to.
Swede

Postby Tigger » 12 19, 2017 •  [Post 16]

that is really interesting. I wonder what the reasoning is? I wonder if it will feel different. I can't wait to hear how it goes.

Uh, it is too late, but I hope you wrote "THIS ONE - OPERATE HERE" on the correct shoulder! I wouldn't want them to replace one of your legs! :lol:
Tigger

Postby Roosiebull » 12 19, 2017 •  [Post 17]

>>>---WW----> wrote:I'm a one finger search and destroy typer! Ain't no reason you can't do the same! Wishing you a speedy recovery. ;)

me too :lol:

SaddleSore, hope it goes perfect, and you heal fast. a good friend of mine had shoulder surgery this fall, I watched him shoot a buck about 2 weeks later! I had to pack the rifle, and his buck, but it was cool that he made it out and got it done so quick. he is doing pretty well now, almost full use minus some strength he will have to work for.

good luck man!
Roosiebull

Postby Tigger » 12 28, 2017 •  [Post 18]

How about an update Vince? Still got both of your wings? I hope it is going well for you.
Tigger

Postby Swede » 12 28, 2017 •  [Post 19]

Tigger wrote:How about an update Vince? Still got both of your wings? I hope it is going well for you.

Sorry, but Saddlesore is too busy posting on the elk forum to give updates on how his new limb works. :D
Swede

Postby saddlesore » 12 29, 2017 •  [Post 20]

Initial surgery went well. I had severe reaction to the nerve block and it caused my diaphragm to quit working on my right side so I couln't breathe but 1/2 a lung. I went home the day after surgery, ,but was back in an ER the next day, then spent another day in a hospital under cardiac observation as my blood/oxygen content went down to 75%. Now I have weak heart valve that they don't know if the lack of oxygen caused it or it was always that way.

Pretty scary for a few days, but I am on the mend. Still only typing with on finger, left handed. I am in sling for 4 weeks, but started PT yesterday. That was worse than the surgery. I'm sore today, but have to keep doing the exersizes. 8 weeks of PT ahead of me, 4 months healing. Doc said in 6 months I should be 90%, but doesn't know if I will progress past that or even get there due to the damage in the joint.

I now have plastic socket in my shoulder where the ball use to be and a titanium ball in my arm where the socket use to be. Not much pain except for the PT. Thanks for asking
saddlesore

Postby Tigger » 12 29, 2017 •  [Post 21]

Man, I really wish I could do something to help you out in some small way. No elk hunter should have to go through that stuff. If there is anything I can do (or I bet others here would help too), please don't hesitate to ask.

I could send you a hockey stick.... :lol:

Just like when RJ was gone we, um, re-decorated his prized muscle car, we would love to help you out. Painting your mules hooves pink might be a start..... :o
Tigger

Postby saddlesore » 12 29, 2017 •  [Post 22]

No worries, I'll gitter done
saddlesore

Postby Elkhntr08 » 12 29, 2017 •  [Post 23]

I’ve heard that 60-90% crap a couple times in my life. Proved them wrong every time. Keep on top of the PT and you’ll make it through. Got you in my thoughts cause I know what you’re going through.
Elkhntr08

Postby Roosiebull » 12 30, 2017 •  [Post 24]

Tigger wrote:we would love to help you out. Painting your mules hooves pink might be a start..... :o

Now that's a heck of an idea! Never seen a pack mule with pink hooves.

Saddlesore, glad you are on the mend, sounds like a stressful few days, and I'm sure you are like me and wouldn't have went back unless you absolutely had to.

Glad to hear you are taking the PT seriously, people go through all the hassle of "getting fixed" don't take the PT seriously and then complain the Dr did a poor job. Keep it up, and keep us posted.
Roosiebull

Postby >>>---WW----> » 12 30, 2017 •  [Post 25]

Yes, please keep us posted. I may end up doing the same thing. I can relate to your problems. Had my knee replaced 2 years ago. Went home the day after and back in the ER the next day. But for a much longer stay. I also had a reaction and they OD'ed me in the hospital to the point that I was completely unresponsive. I actually saw my lord and savior Jesus Christ. That's about as close as you get to the end. But somehow through his grace, I was sent back.

But on the brighter side, I was talking to a guy the other day that had his shoulder replaced 6 months ago and he is good as new. His Dr. gave him a full release and told him he could do anything he wanted. No restrictions!
>>>---WW---->

Postby Swede » 12 30, 2017 •  [Post 26]

Saddlesore and WW: Maybe you can get a new TV show about your lives. It would be something like "Bionic Elk Hunters". Never mind; I just heard there were some shows years ago about some bionics changed people. Anyway I am glad you are both doing well and making progress.
Swede