Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

New guy in WA

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

New guy in WA

Postby Joe Schmo » 12 22, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Just your average "Joe Schmo"...I was thinking about calling myself "Experienced Rookie" because archery hunting always gets me and I find myself making dumb mistakes. However one of the only smart things I've ever done in my life was to buy a buncha stuff from one mister ElkNut!! I religiously listened to his playbook on CD and wouldn't you know it but after 4 set ups cow calling to this guy I gave a very distressed "regathering" call and threw some calf calls in the opposite direction. He came screaming and running from 150 yards out to about 10 yards, I've never seen anything like it!! Then I made a questionable shot and kept hearing Paul say "We wait at least 6 hours on a questionable shot" over and over again in my head. So I got outta there for 6 hours. Came back and he was deader than a doornail, probably dead in 10 minutes (see snow on him), but it ain't worth risking it, eh? THANK YOU ELKNUT!!
20170920_153121_resized_1 (1)_resized_4.jpg
20170920_153121_resized_1 (1)_resized_4.jpg (330.98 KiB) Viewed 3676 times
Joe Schmo

Re: New guy in WA

Postby Tigger » 12 22, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Welcome! We always welcome Elknut disciples! Tell us a little about yourself. Have you been lurking for long? What do you do for a living? Family? Hunting experience/passion? Seahawks fan (if so, we can use small words just for you!)?
Tigger

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 22, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Welcome to the campfire mister. Pull up a log, grab a beverage of choice, and join in the conversations. Send me a note with your mailing info and I'll shoot one of the coveted Wapiti Talk decals your way. RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby wawhitey » 12 22, 2017 •  [Post 4]

That an east side or west side bull? Doesnt really have that roosie look, but the background could easily be west side, or ne corner. Just curious.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Elkduds » 12 22, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Nice pic, nice post, welcome to camp.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby Joe Schmo » 12 23, 2017 •  [Post 6]

Well thank you all. And most importantly it's a ID OTC archery bull.
I'm a salmonologist and I spend much of my summer in central Idaho. I have a family, a wife and 2 and 4 year old daughters. I've lost all interest in sports and fishing since I started getting serious about this hunting thing. I'm pretty big into researching states/stats/units/hunts/areas and then I'm big into planning the actual hunt. Planning to hit WY this year with my 9 points, give it a week (5 days hunting, 2 days driving) and see what I can turn up...
I've got points for most species in WY, CO, OR, WA and I plan on using them over the next few years. However these draw hunts kinda suck because none of my friends have as many (or any) points in these states. Looking forward to a time when we can all just go on OTC or 1 or 2 point hunts.
Joe Schmo

Postby Indian Summer » 12 24, 2017 •  [Post 7]

I want to say welcome aboard but the first thing that comes to mind is dude.... you cannot hunt only 5 days on a 9 point license!!!!! That tag deserves a 10 day effort.

Ok welcome aboard Schmo from another Joe.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Swede » 12 25, 2017 •  [Post 8]

Welcome to the W.T. campfire Joe. I don't know how I missed your introduction for so long, but it is good to have you here. Keep posting, and BTW great bull you have there.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 12 28, 2017 •  [Post 9]

Welcome Welcome

Only Canadians can say eh!
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H