Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Incredible hunt.

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Incredible hunt.

Postby Lefty » 12 31, 2017 •  [Post 1]

I was thinking of placing this on the small game forums. But this "hunt " really wasn't about the game. More about some unique experiences.
while the sky's were cloudy above me I could see that distant mountain ranges 70-to over 100 miles away. The mirage effect was impressive
The Pahsimeroi Range had a neat cloud cap the snow on the Lemhis and Lost river was a glowing orange from the mornings sunrise. Big butte seemed closer and bigger than ever.
I did get a worthless picture, an eagle sort of harassing a goose. the goose rocketing past me in the pit wingtip high above the ground, I passed on the shot. the goose seemed to have the speed of a peregrine falcon as it rocked past.
I had a flock of 8 geese try to land three different times bt a crow refused to let them land. Ive never seen those aeronautic displays by crows or geese before, Next time Im killing the crow.
Yesterday I saw a white-tailed kite,, saw one last year 20 miles away. They shouldn't be in this part of Idaho. And today scouting for geese on my way to church a pair of coyotes parked their backsides on the snow just 80 yards from a flock of geese. I stopped my pickup,.. they didnt seem to mind m watching them.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Incredible hunt.

Postby Swede » 12 31, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Good campfire discussion Lefty. You draw a great word picture.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby ishy » 01 04, 2018 •  [Post 3]

So lefty, does this mean your packing heat to church now? I saw one just off I-15 just north of Pocatello last week. Looked like easy picking, but is probably on private.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Lefty » 01 04, 2018 •  [Post 4]

ishy wrote:So lefty, does this mean your packing heat to church now? I saw one just off I-15 just north of Pocatello last week. Looked like easy picking, but is probably on private.

Likely Fort Hall reservation.

a long time ago our congregation was very rural and part on the reservation, The new church building was built on the res. 6 miles from our house,.. and I tend to take to long route to church anyway. those yotes get almost no pressure. I thin very winter early morning run its is easy to see one two or three.
Lefty

Postby Roosiebull » 01 06, 2018 •  [Post 5]

One of the great things about hunting (same goes with fishing) you never know what your day has in store for you. Sounds like some cool encounters!
Roosiebull

Postby Lefty » 01 09, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Today we had some cool things happen. 80 family groups of Trumpeter swans flew over our spread 5-10 yards high in small groups for nearly and hour. Many close enough we could feel the draft and hear the buzz from their wings.
And a coyote tackled one of my goose decoys,.. and somehow manage to escape the decoy spread alive
Lefty