Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

A knife story , or two

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

A knife story , or two

Postby Lefty » 01 01, 2018 •  [Post 1]

I might start a series of stories with the hope that other will have stories.
Give a a story or two about knives.
We wore them to High school. all the cool outdoorsy types, wanbies, and cool guys wore a buck folding knife on their hip.Some sort of status symbol.
The potheads wore a jean jacket over florescent orange sweatshirt, and if they were pothead farm boys it was a florescent orange seed sweatshirt under the jean jacket .

The biggest knife problem was boys sharpening pencils in class and leaving pencil shavings on the floor.
and in grade school playing mumbley-peg during recess.

Oh and the cool scar on my thumb still shows quite well even after 55 years, the scar from the tread holes are easy to count. I told my mom I wanted that knife when she passed, an old Cutco bread knife.
We never did find it after she passed.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: A knife story , or two

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 01, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Pop gave me a whittling knife when I was 11 or so, believe it was an old Old Timer he'd had for years. After a huge safety briefing I went out to whittle and ended up cutting my left index finger to the bone. Never went to the doc for stitches and never saw that knife again. Second memorable knife in my life was a full sized Morseth with leather sheath my grandpa gave me when I was a teen. It dressed out elk, deer, bear, skinned rats, mink, bobcat, and yotes. I made a huge mistake in my mid 20s when I realized what it's monetary value was. One of the dumbest things I've ever done.

IMG_4682.JPG
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby PublicLandCarnivore » 01 01, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I'm a total knife junky too. I collect knives like my wife collects shoes. When I was a kid we use to go to a flea market every weekend and their were a couple old guys there that sold and swapped used knives. They would see me coming and break out their latest finds. My dad always carried an Old Timer so that's what he bought me when I was 12. An Old Timer hunting knife with a 4 inch blade. I have carried it since he gave it to me. Last year I bought my son the same model. It's my go to knife for cleaning fish. I've lost it dozens of times in the woods and it always seems to find its way home. I even dropped it at my secret fishing hole- then 2 weeks later, a buddy found it laying next to the lake and returned it. Just something about a good knife.
PublicLandCarnivore

Postby Tigger » 01 02, 2018 •  [Post 4]

My dad gave me a Buck 118 fixed blade for Christmas when I was 11 (so I would be ready for deer hunting when I was 12). About 2 years later, I got out of my stand, took a whiz, and walked back to my uncles place. Upon getting there, I found my belt hanging where I had forgot to fasten it and my knife was gone. Instant, total, adrenaline-fueled panic. I was on my hands and knees backtracking myself across a plowed field (no snow either!). Black sheath and black soil. About halfway across, I found it. Over the years I have accumulated a lot of knives, but that is still my best and my go-to knife!
Tigger

Postby pointysticks » 01 02, 2018 •  [Post 5]

i have gotten where i can recognize a large number of blades by look. scary.

i got my first knife when i was 8. it was a Case. if i had to guess, it was a Stockman. i know it had those yellow Delorin plastic handles. my grandad gave it to me. this is a BIG deal, since i'm a chinese city-kid. i didnt work on a farm, or do much outdoorsy stuff at that age. but i had a KNIFE!! so what did i do with that knife? i watched my grandad put an edge on it with some unknown, gray-black stone.

i dropped it into my pocket and ran off. either my brother or I decided it was a good idea to shoot my my aunt's new broom handle. POP! the BB embedded into the handle. no problem! i took out the knife and tried to pry it out. that knife, immediately folded onto my thumb. one side of my thumb looked like a partially peeled banana..very minor looking back..but at that age, i thought i was gonna die. i screamed!!

in my mind, i think i got and lost that knife on the same day. my mom made it disappear. never saw it again.

(i did buy one about 4 years ago..hehe.)
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby >>>---WW----> » 01 03, 2018 •  [Post 6]

I like knives so much that I started making a few. I only do a couple a year. I have sold a few, but mostly give them to special friends and relatives. Here is one I just completed for my great grandson. Hope I can make the picture work. Hopefully he will think of me when he uses it. This one is mule deer antler on a Helle blade.
Attachments
thumbnail_20171227_160028.jpg
thumbnail_20171227_160028.jpg (147.2 KiB) Viewed 3178 times
>>>---WW---->

Postby Swede » 01 03, 2018 •  [Post 7]

I too have had knives since my age was counted in single digits. I still have my Western Boulder hunting knife dad gave me. I have nicked my fingers on occasion, but the worst was only a few years ago.
I was finishing gutting an elk. I had my razor sharp knife up in the chest cavity cutting off the diaphragm. Suddenly I was stung by a Yellow Jacket. Instantly I jerked my hand back into the blade of my knife. That required a trip into the doctor to get a finger sewed back together.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 03, 2018 •  [Post 8]

>>>---WW----> wrote:I like knives so much that I started making a few. I only do a couple a year. I have sold a few, but mostly give them to special friends and relatives. Here is one I just completed for my great grandson. Hope I can make the picture work. Hopefully he will think of me when he uses it. This one is mule deer antler on a Helle blade.

Damn awesome knife Bill!
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Lefty » 01 04, 2018 •  [Post 9]

Bill do you get your supplies from a knife supply place or use band come up with scrap specialty steels!

Sure is a beauty !!
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby >>>---WW----> » 01 05, 2018 •  [Post 10]

Check your PM Lefty
>>>---WW---->