Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Highfence, Private ground, Guided, or PUblic land DIYS

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Highfence, Private ground, Guided, or PUblic land DIYS

Postby Lefty » 02 15, 2018 •  [Post 1]

When is a hunt a hunt?

Joe you cant write a word until you settle down,. Maybe a drink or too, maybe not too many either. 8-)

I cant afford a high fence hunt. Including African hunts :lol: . Heck I cant afford a lease either. I have been on hunts with guides. One couple hunts were basically a trespass fee for a group of us to hunt geese. Another was a CWMU hunt in Utah cow depredation hunt/shoot. Nearly 100 % success for a one day hunt.

I have been invited to a Wisconsin private land crossbow hunt,.. the owner guaranteed a 140 plus whitetail each day. I may take hm up on that "hunt",.. just for a bigger white-tail

Wyoming doe antelope hunts,.. great fun with my kids and easy to put meat in the freezer, Could that "hunt" be drug out for two days.

I have also drawn public land hunts ( in Utah) that were shoots. One hunt was a summer depredation hunt . Two does. In that hunt we were the last hunters to kill deer 398 and deer 399. My daughter were young, the weather was nice, both deer dead less than 50 feet from the road. My wife turned the gutting into a biology class.

My first swans I passed on certain opportunities it just didnt feel right.
A buddy and I a few times made successful stalks on thousand of ducks and geese,. then didnt shoot at all.

Ive been asked to "kill" elk ( depredation permit) just not my thing.
We were given permission to hunt a field, a limit of ducks was as fast as pulling the trigger ( think of Argentina doves on steroids)
Ive hunted geese on fields where I knew shooting a limit of geese would only take minutes. A great opportunity for my daughters, well every one I took to that field that year :shock:
For most situations I like my elk hunting backcountry by choice, fewer people, sometimes less elk, more work, way more hiking ,,,, For whatever reason I no longer "need" to fill a tag to have a good or great hunt.
But I do want a public land 350 bull :mrgreen:

Keep it civil
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Highfence, Private ground, Guided, or PUblic land DIYS

Postby Indian Summer » 02 15, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Mmmffmmfnsmbtchnjgffsmmggrrdmt!!!
591CCC2B-CFA3-4A8A-AB94-69A471F6DF8D.jpeg
591CCC2B-CFA3-4A8A-AB94-69A471F6DF8D.jpeg (15.51 KiB) Viewed 3406 times
That’s censorship !!! :evil:
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby saddlesore » 02 15, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I have gone on one guided hunt.That was in Alberta and guide was required. I have killed one elk inside a fence.Ranch about 6 miles from me were taking cull bulls to Denver for slaughter. The ranch foreman called to see if I wanted one before they did so. I was out of meat and preferred elk to beef.Not a hunt, just a meat butchering process.

All the other elk I have tagged have been on Public land, DYI. All antelope, deer have been on friends private land, no fee, DYI
saddlesore

Postby pointysticks » 02 20, 2018 •  [Post 4]

it's all good, and there is truly an ass for every seat.

i think it distills down to where we are in life. at the end there, right before my stepdad died of cancer, we tried to find a high fence operation..somewhere we could plop him down in a blind and let him take a big game animal. he really is hasnt taken one in his life that i know of. he was too sick to go.

i will never debate any legal hunting..some rich guys get great hunts..even they can choose between a posh south TX ranch (rhymes with "BING MANCH" :)) or get some crazy guided hunt where there is a team looking for the animal for him. or they can choose any level of roughing it down to DIY, public land, solo..hunting..hell, even money helps there with logistics and tags. i dont think about any of it.

it would never end!! any aspect..rifle guys vs long range rifle guys vs compound archery vs crossbow vs traditional archery vs...it would never end.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Swede » 02 20, 2018 •  [Post 5]

I do not care how or where a person legally shoots their critter.
When I find a braggart is waxing eloquent about their hunting prowess, and learn that they were in the ranch house, sipping coffee waiting for first light so the could shoot their elk, I would like to remind them that there is a big difference between their type of hunt and the OTC public land hunts. "I hope you did not wake the children up when you shot from the porch."
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 02 20, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Swede wrote:I do not care how or where a person legally shoots their critter.
When I find a braggart is waxing eloquent about their hunting prowess, and learn that they were in the ranch house, sipping coffee waiting for first light so the could shoot their elk, I would like to remind them that there is a big difference between their type of hunt and the OTC public land hunts. "I hope you did not wake the children up when you shot from the porch."

When my dad was a kid he catered to those type of guys on the farm he worked near Lafayette Minnesota. He shot their pheasants and ducks and they would go home and brag :roll:

pointysticks wrote:it's all good, and there is truly an ass for every seat.
i think it distills down to where we are in life. at the end there, right before my stepdad died of cancer, we tried to find a high fence operation..somewhere we could plop him down in a blind and let him take a big game animal. he really is hasnt taken one in his life that i know of. he was too sick to go.
i will never debate any legal hunting..some rich guys get great hunts..even they can choose between a posh south TX ranch (rhymes with "BING MANCH" :)) or get some crazy guided hunt where there is a team looking for the animal for him. or they can choose any level of roughing it down to DIY, public land, solo..hunting..hell, even money helps there with logistics and tags. i dont think about any of it.
it would never end!! any aspect..rifle guys vs long range rifle guys vs compound archery vs crossbow vs traditional archery vs...it would never end.

Over all pretty much where Im at..
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 02 20, 2018 •  [Post 7]

On the elk forum I am one of a few that said he would butcher out a bull found dead that was salvageable, and ultimately tag it. I would not brag about it. I just have too much respect for the animal to let it go to waste.
I sort of bragged about getting two animals with one shot one time.
I killed a nice bull elk and took it to the butcher shop. When I went to pick it up, I paid for the butchering and a kid, about 18 went into the cold storage and brought out two boxes of meat. I opened my large cooler in the trailer and dumped the meat in and closed the lid. I handed back the cardboard boxes and did not think anything about it. When I got home my wife had the freezer ready so we took the cooler to the basement to put the meat in. I was going to put steaks in one area and hamburger into another, so we started reading the labels. All of a sudden I saw package after package of antelope. There was a full antelope in one box and most of the elk was still at the locker. It was Saturday evening when I got home, so I waited until Monday morning to call the butcher. I told them about the mistake, and they said they would hold the elk until I picked it up. And by the way I got to keep the antelope. It was much better than any antelope we ever had before. Anyway that is my two big game animals with one shot story. I have wondered about how the butcher dealt with the antelope hunter that brought in his prize? "Kid, go out and get us an antelope right now!" :o
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Roosiebull » 02 24, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Swede, you are a lucky guy! I would take a freebie antelope any day! that is my favorite, and haven't had a chance to hunt them (planning on Wyoming this year)

who am I to say what is a hunt and what isn't? I honestly don't care what another calls a hunt. high fence, baiting, whatever, call it what you want, as long as it's legal, I won't argue.

some things aren't my cup of tea, I have never hunted with a guide, and I have never hunted exclusive private land. I have never drawn an elk or deer tag (other than the late cow tag extension on my regular tag) i'm content with OTC DIY public land hunting.

it's not a competition to me, someone killing a massive animal inside a fence over bait doesn't lessen my hunts, I think that's where people get upset, they think a high fence deer shouldn't be compared to their deer (even when they killed their deer on a huge farm they bought and turned it into a deer magnet in every way :lol: ) who cares??!!

if people are out enjoying the woods, I think that's great, we all have different skill levels and opportunities, there is no reason to try to compete against fellow hunters. my competition is real, I compete against myself and the game I pursue, that's enough hunting competition for me.

the whole commercialization of hunting has made me lose interest in BIG antlers, I like them like the next guy, but try not to focus on them, or use them as personal calibration, because I never want to turn into that type of hunter, I enjoy all of the raw aspects of hunting, and will hold onto that tight.

i'm happy for any hunter that finds success legally, whether over a huge pile of bait, behind a 50' fence, with a crossbow during archery season, whatever..... doesn't effect me, and I don't need to compare my hunting to another's to try to make myself look "more special" :D
Roosiebull

Postby Brendan » 02 25, 2018 •  [Post 9]

I went to Florida to visit family a year or two ago. I had a morning off so I booked a half day Hog "Hunt" at a fenced preserve. They trap wild hogs, and let them loose in this place. Thick as snot, but they set up feeders.

Got to sit in a stand, watch all sorts of stocked exotic animals, and then ultimately stalk in on a group of hogs on the ground and shoot one with my bow.

Not sure I'd call it a hunt, but I still had to stalk in, get in range, and then make a good shot on a smaller target than I'm used to, that was moving around a lot more than I'm used to. Pretty sure I had to draw and let down 3-4 times. Good practice, and got 30-40 pounds of meat out of the deal.

I'd do it again, fun, good practice, but not a hunt like when I'm out for deer or elk on public land.

I've hunted private land for Whitetail where I see a lot more deer, but seeing and getting a shooter in range is still pretty damn hard.
Brendan

First Name: Brendan

Postby Elkhntr08 » 02 25, 2018 •  [Post 10]

Went to Africa a few years ago. It was the trip of a lifetime. Was joined in the blind by my wife which made it extra special. I enjoyed it, but feel like something important was missing. After the shot, I tracked and found my game, but then someone else took over. Field dressing and skinning was done by the crew. I chose to be dropped off and left so it wasn’t like a guide was telling me which animal to shoot, but it wasn’t totally fulfilling. The work/pain after the shot is a big part of the story.
Elkhntr08