Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Nevada

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Nevada

Postby Elkhunttoo » 03 03, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Nevada just closed there shed hunting from Jan 1-April 30. I know Utah closed down last year. I don't know why we created new laws that can't be upheld when they don't already stay on top of the laws that are in place. It's illegal to harass wild game. If this was enforced they would take care of any problems that exist. Instead we create new laws that they won't uphold. I hope people actually obey the laws but I have very little to no faith that they will. IMO this just gives the dishonest people $$$. I hope Idaho doesn't change what we have.
Elkhunttoo

Re: Nevada

Postby Navesgane » 03 03, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Did they prohibit other ways of possible harassment such as skiing, hiking, birdwatching, snowmobiling, snowshoeing etc? Or is there an underlying agenda? I know Colorado has or has talked about charging for a shed hunting license.
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff

Postby Elkhunttoo » 03 03, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Nope! There will still be people all over on there atv's and dirt bikes, it's almost impossible to regulate.

To me sheds are different, once they fall off of the animal I don't really understand what gives the wildlife group authority to say you can't pick them up. Also, those that know anything about shed hunting leave the animals alone, the longer they hold up in an area the less distance between horns.

I know the fish and game here in Idaho just used a helicopter to run elk from a guys hay stack. They moved them almost 30 miles, yet people out walking around picking up horns is bad ???? The harassment rules are already in place, if that was truly regulated there would be no need for more unregulated laws :roll:
Elkhunttoo

Postby Lefty » 03 04, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Elkhunttoo wrote:Nevada just closed there shed hunting from Jan 1-April 30. I know Utah closed down last year. I don't know why we created new laws that can't be upheld when they don't already stay on top of the laws that are in place. It's illegal to harass wild game. If this was enforced they would take care of any problems that exist. Instead we create new laws that they won't uphold. I hope people actually obey the laws but I have very little to no faith that they will. IMO this just gives the dishonest people $$$. I hope Idaho doesn't change what we have.

I had been holding my breath and keeping my head down since November on what was going to happen. I was ready to head to a location on the east side for 4- or 5 days to shed hunt, setting up a rack for the dogs on the ATV, packed the trailer bearings, and set my bed up in the shell Friday . I know that by May the area will be picked clean by other users, and Ill be bear hunting. My wife was even going to spend 3 nights with the dogs and I.
Utah's law really messed up Nevada. Lots of abuse in Utah. Some of those "poachers" moved into Nevada last year, And all those sheds came off of private land in Utah,.. year -right :roll: :twisted:

ATVing and hiking are still open :roll: Its not like there are that many people, just diligent shed hunter.

Ever been to the Mt ranges or winter elk range in Nevada? Auto traffic on the highways are elks biggest problem!!! Unlike many of Utahs area elk are being pushed around in deep snow.

My wife was talking should there be a license to gather? I know Im opposed, but maybe a simple registration like waterfowl HIP require to pick up and sell? I just hate another restriction.
Where I was headed the snow will be 1000 feet and miles above where they dropped. Other areas the elk are so spread out there is not "winter" range or summer range just wide spread highland habitat. Nevada is not Utah
Why not just have protected wildlife habitat, wintering, and calving/fawning area,.. of no use ( Utah has that also). That to me would make sense.
some of the upland desert ranges cows are being moved into,.. And cattle and cattlemen are different!
The poachers will be out there hiding and stacking horns
I guess now Ill join the crowds here in Idaho
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Lefty » 03 04, 2018 •  [Post 5]

My wife is even complaining, she said I had one foot out the door to head where I was going to hunt. I think :lol: she just wanted me gone for a week
Lefty

Postby Elkhunttoo » 03 06, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Welcome to the great state of Nevada!!! While you Are here gamble as much money as you want to spend! Poker, black jack, 21, slot machines, we got it all!!! When done with that go on down to the night club for a strip show! Hey, if you want, prostitution is legal here too, that's right, make your way on down to the bunny ranch for what ever you want!!! And last but not least, top off your stay by recreationaly smoking marijuana!!! Oh, that is legal here too!!! Enjoy you stay!!!!

**** disclaimer**** to all of the tourist visiting our great state, be sure not to pick up any shed antlers until may 1st, that is an Arrestable offense here in Nevada!! :roll: :roll:

Puts a little perspective on this brilliant law
Elkhunttoo

Postby Lefty » 03 06, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Elkhunttoo wrote:Welcome to the great state of Nevada!!! While you Are here gamble as much money as you want to spend! Poker, black jack, 21, slot machines, we got it all!!! When done with that go on down to the night club for a strip show! Hey, if you want, prostitution is legal here too, that's right, make your way on down to the bunny ranch for what ever you want!!! And last but not least, top off your stay by recreationaly smoking marijuana!!! Oh, that is legal here too!!! Enjoy you stay!!!!

**** disclaimer**** to all of the tourist visiting our great state, be sure not to pick up any shed antlers until may 1st, that is an Arrestable offense here in Nevada!! :roll: :roll:
Puts a little perspective on this brilliant law

The last three years we have drifted through, camped or ATV ed in Nevada in March.
I think the shed laws are misguided too. I believe some area need to be protected during wintering and calving. How ever all activities should not be allowed in those areas.
Last year Ranchers were driving cows up on public rangelands , hikers on one wintering ground,..but cant pick up sheds.

Today I called Idaho fish and game,.. I was nice about it. but was told they really dont want shed hunters in winter range, then something to the effect other states regulate shed hunting and how shed hunters disrupt , and I should nt take my dogs. I think Idaho wants to play follow the leader
Lefty