Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Who's The Cook?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Who's The Cook?

Postby Swede » 03 15, 2018 •  [Post 1]

If you camp and hunt alone, you are obviously the cook. But if you camp with someone else, who cooks? How do you decide.

I hunt about 1/2 of the time alone. When I hunt with Oly I do most of the cooking, but with my brother or cousin, they generally cook.
When I just hunted with my cousin and his friend, we determined that I would cook until someone complained. The agreement was, they were taking over if there was any griping. Well after awhile I got tired of cooking and decided it was time for a change. I made them a side of soup for dinner one day. The broth was water, deer poop and elk duds, stirred to a broth with a base of stale deer tripe. As you might have already guessed, my cousin spit out his soup, choked, and gaged. "This tastes like #$%&" he said and threw his out. I handed him the hot glove and said, "lets see you do better". My cousin's friend said something along the same lines, but very quickly followed up with, "but it's good", so he avoided the cook chores
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Who's The Cook?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 16, 2018 •  [Post 2]

It's usually a team effort at my basecamps. Each participant plays to their individual skills ;). Since Swede was our guest last year, we (Joe, myself, and Larry) assumed most all of the dinner prep duties. Sounds like that was a good idea in light of the post I just read. I did notice that the camp chipmunks were mysteriously disappearing as the hunt went on, particularly the ones previously spotted close to Swede's tent.... hmmmmm, maybe that's where the extra meat in the stews was coming from. :shock:
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby >>>---WW----> » 03 16, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Reminds me of a couple of times where I used to work. We had a little break room with a fridg and a mini sink. Old Don generally brought a pint of chocolate milk for his lunch and placed it in the fridg. It got to be a habit that someone was stealing his chocolate milk. So finally Don got tired of it and mixed up some ExLax good and strong in the milk. It didn't take long to find out who the culpurt was. :shock:

Another time there was one crew that always left their dirty dishes in the sink for the next crew to clean up. I just made up a sign that said, "If you get the s@&ts from the way I do your dishes, try doing your own next time"! That took care of the dirty dishes problem.

Then another time one of the guys brought in some chocolate covered deer crap and set it on the break room table. He ended up getting sued over that deal. Funny part was, he was the same guy that was stealing Don's milk. :lol:

But, to get back on track, I always hunt by myself. So that explains who does the cooking for me. However, one time I went on a pig hunt in Texas whit 4 other guys. We all chipped in $20 bucks and Colorado Russ took care of the menu and did all the cooking. He enjoys doing that.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby pointysticks » 03 16, 2018 •  [Post 4]

50/50 between me and my brother.

we dont do much of the cleanup. the eaters do the cleanup. fair is fair.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Tigger » 03 16, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Someday when I go with RJ, he will be doing all the cooking. I played him like a fiddle in an earlier thread and got him to banish me from all cooking duties!!

We all pretty much split it. Everybody brings a meal and cooks their meal. One year my dad went along as camp cook. that was awesome!
Tigger

Postby Indian Summer » 03 17, 2018 •  [Post 6]

When you eat Mountain House meals it’s every man for himself. We fire up the Jetboils and talk about the days events for 8-9 minutes while dinner prepares itself.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Swede » 03 17, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Summer, MH and Paleo Meals to Go are easy, but I am wondering how long you can go with them before you need a regular meal? When I am alone, I heat up a lot of canned food. It is not great, but it is quick and hot.
About 60 years ago I was introduced to canned tamales. They were not fit to eat, and I wondered what people saw in Mexican food. This past hunting season I decided the canned tamales must have improved over the years and bought another couple of cans. They are no better. In fact I would rather go with MH or Paleo Meals to Go any day.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 03 17, 2018 •  [Post 8]

The few times Dave hunted with me we brought and shared our foods, hi liked my apples, egg sandwiches and granola bards, I liked his snickers and I didnt want any part of his MT houses.

When solo hunting and with my daughter very few times do we even warm foods, but home made stews and canned soup.
we physically hunt hard and are ready for some food and sleep.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Indian Summer » 03 19, 2018 •  [Post 9]

Swede you make a valid point. I could actually eat MH or Paleo Meals for an entire week if I had to. But usually about twice a week we take a drive into town for a beer and a burger or steak or whatever catches my eye on the menu. A girl at Field and Stream last night told me the new chicken and dumplings is pretty good. I love that so maybe I’m good for another day. They were out of it though.n
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Swede » 03 19, 2018 •  [Post 10]

Thanks Joe. I found a lot to like in the Paleo Meals to Go, and I can enjoy a MH. I will probably get more for this next season just in case I head out for several days.
Swede

Postby Deanmac » 03 20, 2018 •  [Post 11]

I do the majority of the cooking, try to do meals at home and freeze for quick and easy preparation. Usually I vacuum seal, so you just have to put in boiling water and don't even have a dirty pot to cleanup. On non hunting days, we eat a little better with time to prepare breakfast and dinner.
Deanmac

Postby pointysticks » 03 21, 2018 •  [Post 12]

Swede wrote:Summer, MH and Paleo Meals to Go are easy, but I am wondering how long you can go with them before you need a regular meal? When I am alone, I heat up a lot of canned food. It is not great, but it is quick and hot.
About 60 years ago I was introduced to canned tamales. They were not fit to eat, and I wondered what people saw in Mexican food. This past hunting season I decided the canned tamales must have improved over the years and bought another couple of cans. They are no better. In fact I would rather go with MH or Paleo Meals to Go any day.

canned tamales?! oh boy..they sound awful.

i find very few canned items acceptable. life is too short. i precook and bag awesome meals for car camping. one time, car camping solo..i ate a fresh burger every day. i had plenty of bread and frozen patties (i ground my own meat and hand formed the patties and froze them solid individually)
packing in..mixture of lightweight processed foods and MH. every man for themselves.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Swede » 03 21, 2018 •  [Post 13]

For everyone's information: Canned tamales are individually wrapped in PAPER. And that is the best part. The next time I have a can of tamales, I am going to eat the paper and throw away the core. :lol:
Another canned disaster is Stagg's Two Bean Chili. I had gas so bad I had to go outside and walk around for two hours in the night just so I could get away from myself. Fortunately I was hunting alone at the time.
Swede

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 21, 2018 •  [Post 14]

I second the “avoid Stagg chili” note. I’ve grabbed a few cans of it over the years for camp and regretted it....wow :0
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ