Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

^%*&&$% new shoulder

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

^%*&&$% new shoulder

Postby saddlesore » 03 24, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Last Sunday,my store bought shoulder dislocated. That will make tears come to your eyes.Even worse putting it back in. Twice. So I am at the docs office 8 AM Monday morning,and they won't see me.Told me to come back at 3PM Tuesday. Finally get in and only a nurse can see me .Docs too busy.So they take some x-rays and tell me they will call me in the AM. Wednesday, they say come back and get a sling and don't take it off except for PT for 3 weeks.I go in to pick up the sling and they asked me how I got it back in place. I told them I did it myself.They then explain that normal procedure is to go to the ER where they put you to sleep to put it back in place. That sure would have been good to know ahead of time. I might have taught my wife some new words during the process. :x
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Re: ^%*&&$% new shoulder

Postby Swede » 03 24, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Is your shoulder going to stay in place after you are healed, or is this a long term dilemma? Best wishes. You are as tough as your mules.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 24, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Geezus, hope it heals up after that train wreck. It’s amazing you couldn’t see a doc, sounds like your health care system there could stand some improvement.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby saddlesore » 03 25, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Swede wrote:Is your shoulder going to stay in place after you are healed, or is this a long term dilemma? Best wishes. You are as tough as your mules.

That is the big question Swede.If this aggressive therapy does not work other options are not good at all
saddlesore

Postby Lefty » 03 25, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Yikes I can only feel some of your pain.
When my shoulder was reworked My surgeon was doing lots of hunters shoulders, he taught me how to properly draw my bow, after surgery to also avoid pulling out of place,.. :o And for me there was one exercise to strengthen some upper back shoulder muscles that made a tremendous change,.. It took 21 times at the therapist to be able to learn how to work an individual muscle,.. a muscle my body didnt know how to use.
As much fun as you know these surgeries are physical therapy and building more muscle helps.
My new hip components are great,.. ,.The doc encouraged me to ride my ATV standing, and encouraged me to ride a "good" horse as part of my therapy. This past winter with my nephropathy I was was told more walking and hiking,..While the nephropathy is only getting worse building strength I can walk stand and balance better than I could a year ago. A great excuse to go hunting and hiking .

Are we going to need to move this thread to the GEAR section ;)
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Indian Summer » 03 25, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Holy crap Saddlesore I have tears in my eyes just reading that!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Elkduds » 03 25, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Saddlesore, I'm sorry to hear it and hope it turns out for the better. When I move my right shoulder much, it hurts and pops. From your example, I'm glad it moves, and I'll get used to the pain.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby Deanmac » 03 26, 2018 •  [Post 8]

makes he hurt just thinking about it

Hope it is stays in place now
Deanmac

Postby >>>---WW----> » 03 26, 2018 •  [Post 9]

I'm with Elkduds. Heard too many horror stories about bad shoulders. I'll just deal with the pain. And I darn sure ain't going to the emergency room here. :shock:
>>>---WW---->

Postby saddlesore » 03 26, 2018 •  [Post 10]

>>>---WW----> wrote:I'm with Elkduds. Heard too many horror stories about bad shoulders. I'll just deal with the pain. And I darn sure ain't going to the emergency room here. :shock:

Hey, I spent few hours in the Craig ER 3-4 years ago.I will say one thing.They are familiar with horse/mule /hunting related accidents.
My shoulder wasn't so much the pain although there was more than enough,but it flat out stopped working in different modes.Got so I could not lift my saddle or an elk quarter. My brain would tell it to lift, but it hung there like it was someone else's.
saddlesore

Postby Tigger » 03 26, 2018 •  [Post 11]

Just reading that I almost ran and got an Ibuprofen! Doctors can be so frustrating. It amazes me that an auto mechanic, dentist, vet, chiropractor, etc can manage their time almost to the minute, but a doctor can be an hour late by 8:30 in the morning and shrug it off like they are special and nobody else's time is important compared to theirs.

Saddle(very)sore, you may need to invest in a friend who is 20 some years old to help you with the heavy lifting! Trade some of their brute strength for your knowledge.

My buddy in high school was the running back. I was the quarterback. He dislocated his shoulder in a game and popped it back in himself. Told me all passes had to hit him in the other hand for the rest of the game. Okey Dokie! I think he had 11 catches that game! Tough guy!
Tigger

Postby Roosiebull » 03 26, 2018 •  [Post 12]

Saddlesore, that sucks man. I truly hope it heals right and you don't have to deal with that. I cannot say I know the pain you describe, but I have arthritis forming in my shoulder (at 34yrs old) from work. When it starts hurting me, I realize shoulder pain really sucks, and I would imagine my pain is extremely mild compared to you dislocating yours.

That kind of stuff takes the fun out of days.
Roosiebull