Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What does a cabin/ house need?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What does a cabin/ house need?

Postby Lefty » 04 16, 2018 •  [Post 1]

I plan to help a buddy build his and his sisters cabins on what is left of their ranch. Both cabins will be used as a 2nd homes. Both home will fence out cows when they dont want th grass knocked down. Higher elevation, lots of snow accessible only by snowmobile December through May.
what little things do you think should be added to a home or part of a home to make it more usable.
He has added suntubes, 220 in the garage, dog doors, outside hotwater hose bibs, garage bathroom, mud room( snowmobile clothing with drying racks ) heated garage for the snowmobiles, lots of exterior yard lighting.

what type of add-ons that a typical place doesnt have
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: What does a cabin/ house need?

Postby Navesgane » 04 16, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Primitive sauna and/or fire-heated hot tub. Have stayed at backcountry skiing huts that had them and it was the highlight of the trip next to the skiing.
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff

Postby Swede » 04 16, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Elk steaks in a good freezer. I would expect they have the cooking equipment, so add some quality steaks. Burgers are good too for variety.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 04 16, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Shooting range. Meat pole. Big telescope. Elk antler chandelier.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Lefty » 04 16, 2018 •  [Post 5]

He really isnt into hunting, however plans to put a .22 range on the back deck for the rest o the family. However there is already a long term meatpole. His wife has the telescope, the chandlers will be ranch cattle and mining related. The beef will be cows from the ranch,.. And I dont know how many freezers they have :shock:
I think they're going to do some sort of "primitive" hot tub and sauna between the cabins. They spent some time in Iceland and want something that will look like a natural hot pool. there was a lot of old growth timber that was cut so they will have a lot of firewood that is one of the projects he plans to do as the snow melts before we start building. They have a number of natural springs and wants to do something with them also . I suggested stocking the beaver ponds, the grandkids lke to fish

They plan on zip lines between cabins the sauna is in the middle,.. but they dont want kids dropping into whatever they build for a Sauna
Lefty

Postby Navesgane » 04 16, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Sounds awesome! Does he need another buddy :lol:
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff

Postby Elkduds » 04 17, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Salt or mineral blocks.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby Lefty » 04 17, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Navesgane wrote:Sounds awesome! Does he need another buddy :lol:

I think my wife and I are their cheap entertainment.
Post by Elkduds » 04 17, 2018
Salt or mineral blocks.

For the past 60 years the salt licks have been about 100 yards from where his sisters house will be buildt.
Lefty

Postby pointysticks » 04 17, 2018 •  [Post 9]

a steep pitched roof.

and a complete watershut off and system drain..internet remote operated would be sick!!

complete outdoor kitchen under a great patio roof, with a pizza oven..wood burning of course.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Lefty » 04 17, 2018 •  [Post 10]

pointysticks wrote:a steep pitched roof.

and a complete watershut off and system drain..internet remote operated would be sick!!

complete outdoor kitchen under a great patio roof, with a pizza oven..wood burning of course.

12:12 metal I already asked for help on that.

I think I will be the internet remote operated water shutoff.
Two full sides and the front elevation deck are covered.

I saw two big grills at his place, Im guessing they are both headed up there in June.
As neat as the pizza oven would be,.. Hes not much of a cook :lol: But Ill still suggest it,.. Ill use it! Maybe next year.

Im going to give them a few house warming trees,.. apple and cherry,.. Maybe deer hunt from the deck,.. or bedroom

I would advise against it anyway. outdoor grill, Traeger grills, gas grills etc all are a female conspiracy :o
Lefty

Postby VT Sasquatch » 04 27, 2018 •  [Post 11]

12:12 metal is a good call. I would say a good-sized barn/pole building. I find that I keep adding small outbuildings at my place for the various equipment that I accumulate.
VT Sasquatch

Postby Heartwood » 04 27, 2018 •  [Post 12]

Make sure the roof design with steel and steep pitch is not putting snow where you don't want it ie. doors ,windows, garage doors etc. I am a builder who lives in a heavy snow area and see homes and cabins all the time that were designed with no thought to snow. As long as you engineer for the snow load, it is always an option to keep the snow on the roof also.
Metal wainscot around base of cabin for protection from snow is also becoming more common. We do snow removal with our equipment in winter and get to see all the worst design details on a daily basis. Snow slides off garage in front of doors and can't get cars out. Dormers hold snow until a giant glacier forms and tears roof up as it slides and on and on.
A good quality wood stove. Gas powered appliances. Upgrades to insulation.
Heartwood

First Name: Matt
Last Name: Houle

Postby Lefty » 04 30, 2018 •  [Post 13]

They wont be getting cars into the area in the winter.

The county building denied the original plans. He was required to have engineered roof system because of the snow load, $3500. The county requires additional roof engineering beyond the truss companies in the higher elevation.
all 2x6 exterior studs.
Hmm I better bring it up about the dormers. I can see those as a real problem. thank you for that!

Hmm I could maybe move up there in the winter to keep those dormers snow free.
Lefty

Postby JKaboom » 04 30, 2018 •  [Post 14]

Man that sounds pretty dang deluxe as it is! I could only add a hot tub of any sort.
JKaboom