Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Battle Scars?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Battle Scars?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 29, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Have any of you cats gotten a critter that has obvious battle scars? Below is a pic of a Montana whitetail that had been mixing it up to the point he knocked off his right eye guard. Post up a pic of anything you have with a battle scar.

Battle.png
Battle.png (151.47 KiB) Viewed 2001 times
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Battle Scars?

Postby >>>---WW----> » 04 29, 2018 •  [Post 2]

No picture but I shot a muley several years ago that had the tip of a broken off antler about 3/4 of an inch long embedded in his forehead.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Lefty » 04 29, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Ive trapped lots of beaver with scars that must have incredible stories behind them.
While some what usual for many old beaver but one beaver tail in particular was full of holes and rips.
Another beaver was so scarred from fighting the pelt had little value.
One of the three heaviest red fox i ever trapped had been through a hay mower 2 years earlier as a pup. Its whole right rear leg had been torn off, healed well and the fox was much bigger than typical fox and still weighed in at just over 17 lbs
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Mathewsz7-elkridge » 04 30, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Shot a white buck that I got mounted and the taxidermist said it had a bunch of antler holes in it head and neck.
Also shot one with a puncture hole in the hind quarter. Luckily it wasn't infected yet.
Mathewsz7-elkridge

Postby Roosiebull » 04 30, 2018 •  [Post 5]

2 bears were pretty beat up, both big boars. one had a big scar above his eye, as well as several smaller ones.

another one my taxi thought had recently been shot, 2 holes in the hide, I texted him pics of the carcass in that area, best we could figure was a recent fight.

I shot a little rag bull a few years ago (3x4) and he got pretty tore up by a lion. he had lacerations on his hind quarter, and stomach (ones in the stomach were bad, but healing) and his whole neck was really chewed up. it looked like it had gotten infected but was healing. it was bad enough I lost most of the neck meat.

must have been one heck of a scrap, and looks like it lasted awhile. later that fall I found a fairly fresh cow elk lion kill in that same area, and that particular cat was not very big, my guess by the track was adult female (100ish lbs)

nature is pretty crazy!

of course I have killed some bucks with split ears and stuff as well. surprisingly, the 3 lions I have killed looked pretty flawless, no major scars or anything, I would think they would sport some battle scars.
Roosiebull

Postby lamrith » 05 02, 2018 •  [Post 6]

My bear last year had some scratches on his snout from fighting.

The real gem came when I got him back from taxidermist. Taxi pointed out that he had been shot in the head at some point. Nice crease in his cranium, that must have hurt a good bit.[img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180503/eb03b6fc413dfb41615d435907fd1fe8.jpg[/img][img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180503/8e4efdbaa096e04a099c41514acbeca5.jpg[/img]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry