Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

At What Elevation Do Deer Become Elk?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

At What Elevation Do Deer Become Elk?

Postby Swede » 05 07, 2018 •  [Post 1]

At what elevation do deer become elk? That is pretty crazy alright, but there are other crazy questions and comments we have heard over the years.

We had a deer with a broken leg hobbling around the neighborhood. It also has a visible hole in the leg from what appeared to be a gun shot. I was asked if the fish and wildlife department could outfit the deer with a prosthesis?
Ok, what have you heard that caused you to smile and wonder?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: At What Elevation Do Deer Become Elk?

Postby saddlesore » 05 08, 2018 •  [Post 2]

We were in Yellowstone one year and heard a tourist ask a park ranger what time did they turn the animals loose
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Fridaythe13th » 05 08, 2018 •  [Post 3]

This lady is famous. I'm sure most of you have heard this.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9K3MoxlCaJ4
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Elkduds » 05 08, 2018 •  [Post 4]

"Where is the elevator to the top of [name mountain here]?"
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 08, 2018 •  [Post 5]

It always amazes me how many folks think coyotes and bobcats are hugely "dangerous" creatures to humans. Many folks I've known over the years who work on my Army base (whether active or retired) tell me stories about seeing a coyote on a run or hike and how they "got the heck out of there" as quick as possible ;).
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Lefty » 05 08, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Yellowstone is flaming ludicrous with wildlife experts.
If its not a black colored bear its a grizzle. My advise on grizzlies,.. no selfies :lol:
I quite enjoy seeing coyotes,.. the Yellowstone expert only see wolves.
While hunting I enjoy close encounters with bull elk in the woods,.. but Im never under 50 yards from a bull bison or elk unless they is 100s of people in between.
I had some gals ride horse right next to my decoy spread, they asked how I got them (decoys) so tame.
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby pointysticks » 05 09, 2018 •  [Post 7]

okay, sorry, but i am gonna be "that guy"

not everyone is outdoorsy..whatever.

i cant program an iphone app. i dont imagine a bunch of computer freaks sitting around saying,.."pfft, that guy doesnt know what a terrbyte is!". .we all do what we do. just do it well..i cant fault a person that isnt that interested in knowing stuff.

technically, Elk is one of the "deer species" :D
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Kevin Paul » 05 09, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Lefty wrote:My advise on grizzlies,.. no selfies :lol:

Apparently, this fellow didn't get your memo.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/05e04d7e-1ae0-3fd5-8a4f-5f8e8aa7578b/ss_man-mauled-to-death-by-bear.html
Kevin Paul

Postby pointysticks » 05 10, 2018 •  [Post 9]

i read that the buffalo pounds down way more tourist than bears.

taa-tonka!
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Indian Summer » 05 10, 2018 •  [Post 10]

Okaaaay???
Attachments
7CD7E9D2-697A-47C7-AAF1-A37A159202DA.jpeg
7CD7E9D2-697A-47C7-AAF1-A37A159202DA.jpeg (57.01 KiB) Viewed 4672 times
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Roosiebull » 05 10, 2018 •  [Post 11]

pointysticks wrote:okay, sorry, but i am gonna be "that guy"

not everyone is outdoorsy..whatever.

i cant program an iphone app. i dont imagine a bunch of computer freaks sitting around saying,.."pfft, that guy doesnt know what a terrbyte is!". .we all do what we do. just do it well..i cant fault a person that isnt that interested in knowing stuff.

technically, Elk is one of the "deer species" :D

I completely agree with your assessment. I do find it a little sad hearing and reading that type of stuff, how far many humans have disconnected with the wilderness, it's a shame.

there are lots of topics I know nothing about, and talking to someone knowledgeable on the subject, I may come off pretty clueless...... but ONLY because I am :lol:
Roosiebull

Postby Swede » 05 11, 2018 •  [Post 12]

I remember being dispatched to go to a wildfire in central Oregon. Everyone in the van had loaded up a pack full of stuff. All but one knew the "stuff" in the packs was our clothing and supplies for staying out for up to two weeks. Usually if we were required to stay longer, we were taken into town to wash our clothing and pickup anything we could have run low on. We were about five hours from our home ranger station when this young lady asked when we were going to be turning back? She said she was not prepared to stay for the night. In all of our training fire fighters were told what to expect and to keep their packs at the ready for a two week dispatch.
Over the years I have noticed that there are some that just never get the word, or just never figure it out. This was likely the young lady's first time away on a fire assignment, but she had gone to fire school. She had observed others come and go on fire assignments. She had seen men come back unshaven and stinking like a goat.

These stories here are intended to be funny. No names are given so if they are true, it will not become a point of offence. Some people just never can connect the obvious dots. Whether you are talking about deer turning into elk or meat being made in a grocery store, certainly a high school basic biology class should have been sufficient to educate the numbest brains in 9th grade.
BTW: I am no computer geek or nuclear physicist, but if I ever put myself into their realm, it is ok if they get a good laugh at my expense.
I was lucky yesterday that I was working alone. I was putting up my grandson's basketball hoop. I started following the instructions from first to last. Before realizing what things were really needed, I was attaching the roof mount parts for a backboard that was going to be set on a pole. :oops:
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 05 11, 2018 •  [Post 13]

pointysticks wrote:i read that the buffalo pounds down way more tourist than bears. taa-tonka!

Read " Death in Yellowstone" lots of stupid.
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Tigger » 05 11, 2018 •  [Post 14]

In Rocky Mountain National Park last year I had a family ask me if the black bear we were looking at was a hyena. Really.
Tigger

Postby Gypsumreaper » 05 12, 2018 •  [Post 15]

We do horseback rides in Colorado all summer. I don't get as many of these questions as I used to, but I've had some good ones over the years, wish I was writing them down or keeping a journal of my outfitting career cause I could have wrote a book. A lot of our questions pertained to horses but we still got the ones about wildlife.
The most famous is the subject of this thread, now I think there is a lot more of a push for the outdoors so people know a little more again. But some of the really true city folk have no idea as they've never seen anything but the concrete mostly.

Someone once asked my brother why some of the horses were born with Saddles on (the ones standing waiting to be ridden) and some horses weren't born with a saddle (ones in the corral with the day off).

I've been asked how many times I've been attacked by coyotes, mountain lions and bears. Have to explain that they don't really attack people unless provoked and horses usually scare them off quickly with their size.

Last year I had a client on my ride she booked with our outfitting company, and had researched our website seen our horseback riding pictures and that's why she booked with us, about 1/2 way into the ride she started making comments about hunters and how they're blood thirsty, and anyone who supports hunting is disgusting, I looked back and simply said ma'am you know we're an outfitting company our main business is hunting trips, she threw a fit and demanded we turn back immediately and she was not going to pay for her ride, because she would not support someone or something who supported hunting. That was a pretty quiet ride back to the trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gypsumreaper

First Name: Josh
Last Name: Wamboldt

Postby Mathewsz7-elkridge » 05 12, 2018 •  [Post 16]

"Did you catch anything" :lol:
Mathewsz7-elkridge