Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Animal Rights

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Animal Rights

Postby Swede » 05 17, 2018 •  [Post 1]

I think all true sportsmen and women hate animal cruelty and even careless wounding of game. Based on the questions we have discussed on this forum, it is obvious we may somewhat disagree on just what is an ethical shot. We all have our own experiences and frame of reference. Still, we never wantonly or negligently condone causing needless pain and suffering.
Recently I have been hearing public discussion about new and existing laws, with an aim to further define, and make illegal different form of animal cruelty. It comes as animal rights. As discussed it was about domestic animals, mainly dogs, cats and horses, but my thought is that we need to be watchful that animal cruelty laws are not passed that will in effect prohibit hunting. After all in forbidding causing pain, suffering, injury, or death to domestic animals or pets it would be real easy to just leave out the word "domestic". I am sure the lawmakers would carve out an exemption for animals raised for food and even research, but what about hunting prey? I don't want to start a panic, but recommend just keeping your eyes open.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Animal Rights

Postby scubohuntr » 05 18, 2018 •  [Post 2]

The people trying to get these things passed are not concerned about pets. You will already do more time for kicking a dog than kicking a kid. It's just like the gun control idiots- what they are claiming to address is already illegal. When they get the concept of "animal rights" firmly established in law, all hunting, fishing, horseback riding, meat, leather, eggs, dairy, pesticides, and even pets are on the way out. In their perfect world, we will all be a bunch of hemp-wearing vegans living in mud huts while all the animals frolic free in a Walt Disney paradise. Starvation and disease will magically go away, and animals will wisely control their own populations. Predators will gratefully eat those animals that die of old age. Until the Plant Rights people get their agenda implemented, whereupon everyone will starve to death, if they don't freeze first.
scubohuntr

Postby Swede » 05 18, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Lets not confuse gun control and animal rights. They are not the same. I personally know even some hunters on both sides of these issues. One hunter's wife worked for the Oregon Dept. of Fish and Wildlife. He is a strong proponent of animal rights, but I never heard him say anything about gun control. I know of several hunters that believe gun rights have gone too far. I see animal rights more nearly a religious conviction than gun control.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby scubohuntr » 05 21, 2018 •  [Post 4]

No, I'm not confusing the two issues, just seeing a lot of parallels. I realize also that there are degrees of both. Not everyone who supports "animal rights" is a wildeyed foaming vegan. There are people who really believe they can support just a "reasonable" interpretation, but there are a lot of people who are working very hard to get some cockeyed Jainist interpretation put on it, and they will take the "reasonable" supporters' money, add them to the numbers they claim, and keep right on with their crusade. I'm all for treating animals with compassion, but let's not call it animal rights. Call it basic decency.
scubohuntr

Postby RAMMONT » 05 21, 2018 •  [Post 5]

I find it funny that a topic is started by saying that, in general, everybody is entitled to their own interpretation of what's right or wrong and then the post morphs in to a comment stating that we need to protect ourselves against some group of people that might take action on what they may feel is right or wrong. This modern attitude that we need to get along with everyone by accepting all points of view as being equally valid is exactly why we have such great division within society. I'm one of those offensive people that actually says that some people simply are idiots and do stupid stuff but I'm also more than willing to agree that I'm wrong when I'm proven so. When and if some group of people actually starts to push for laws that prevent hunting due to the possibility of animal cruelty, then I'll take action.

Regardless, this is a pointless conversation because there isn't a specific issue to discuss. Simply pointing out that MAYBE some unknown group of people MIGHT put forward rules that MIGHT cause hunters problems is a waste of time.
RAMMONT

Postby Lefty » 06 08, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Just dont feed a nearly dead puppy to a turtle
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 666598002/
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H