Re: Lion attack

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 05 19, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Not good...
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 19, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Heard about that a bit earlier. Nasty damn cat.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Lsb » 05 20, 2018 •  [Post 6]

At least they got the cat.
Lsb

Postby Swede » 05 20, 2018 •  [Post 7]

The wildlife officials say this incident is very rare. Are they sure? We have hikers and other outdoors people that are lost or missing every year. It probably happens in every State. Mountain lions are very secretive. How many missing hikers were taken down by a big cat and buried? I am not trying to scare anyone, but I am not convinced the wildlife authorities are correct in their assessment.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby wawhitey » 05 20, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Swede wrote:The wildlife officials say this incident is very rare. Are they sure? We have hikers and other outdoors people that are lost or missing every year. It probably happens in every State. Mountain lions are very secretive. How many missing hikers were taken down by a big cat and buried? I am not trying to scare anyone, but I am not convinced the wildlife authorities are correct in their assessment.

Exactly what i always think. Oh, no official confirmed lion/ wolf kills in 80+ years? Well how many unsolved missing persons cases? Just cause they werent confirmed, doesnt mean much. Especially in the early part of the 20th century, and especially before that, during early frontier settler days. A lot of loggers, trappers, hunters and frontiersmen could have vanished without anybody ever even knowing they were missing.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 20, 2018 •  [Post 9]

Terrible loss of life for sure. Too bad one or both of the bikers weren't packing a pistol; perhaps that would have resulted in a different outcome.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby scubohuntr » 05 21, 2018 •  [Post 10]

The second man fled into the woods to escape the cougar

The article says they did everything right. I'm assuming that means before they were attacked. The survivor "looked back and saw his friend, and the cougar was attacking his friend. He wasn't able to go back and help him." Not judging, since I wasn't there, but I'd like to think I'd go back. From the article, it sounds like the only time the cat attacked was when it could get one or the other singled out, which makes sense from a cougar perspective. If they had stayed off the bikes and close together while backing out, it may not have attacked. Getting back on the bike and fleeing the area is almost certainly going to trigger a pursuit reflex. Of course, non-hunters have been hearing for generations how cougars never attack people, so they have no idea how to deal with it. Certainly a tragedy, and I hope it doesn't sound like I'm trying to blame the victim, but I hope we can learn from it.
scubohuntr

Postby Lefty » 05 21, 2018 •  [Post 11]

While lions do send a chill up my spine and raise my hackles; more of an adrenaline rush than fear.

Sadly the death may have been preventable.
On the news this morning they said the first attack the bikers were together and the cat retreated when they used their bikes as a shield. The cat was malnourished, and likely desperate. Unfortunately the guys separated.

The past week lions have been spotted and relocated in Pocatello up on ISU campus and seen buy the Stephens Performing arts and LDS Institute/church buildings. Ive seen cats crossing the interstate at that same location. At one time there was a small lion feeding on cats and dogs. Currently the deer are up higher so I dont know why the cat would be there. While big cat are curious more often than not they slink away from people.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby lamrith » 05 21, 2018 •  [Post 12]

Swede wrote:The wildlife officials say this incident is very rare. Are they sure? We have hikers and other outdoors people that are lost or missing every year. It probably happens in every State. Mountain lions are very secretive. How many missing hikers were taken down by a big cat and buried? I am not trying to scare anyone, but I am not convinced the wildlife authorities are correct in their assessment.

You hit the nail on the head Swede! Just like building one of your tree stand ladders..

I heard some kitty hugger on a gun forum of all place expressing how disappointed he was that the cat was killed. I just shook my head and let it go, but I really wanted to lay him out as he was obviously clueless about wildlife management (OR COMPLETE LACK THEREOF) here in WA.

This cat showed very clearly that our practices are out of wack and not only are Cats overpopulated, but they no longer have fear of people. Both are a dangerous combination. Sounds like they had a standoff with it, and were able to drive it away with their bikes as barrier/weapon. Then it returned (did not see info on timeframe or if they got on bikes and took off) and attacked one of them. The second person then fled and the cat left the 1st victim and ran down the second person and killed them. Pure chase reflex kicked in.

I fully believe if one of them had been carrying it would have ended without loss of human life. Heck even a good easy to reach knife could have helped. This is exactly why I suffer the extra weight and carry when I bow hunt, lots of critters out there bigger and strong than we hairless waterbags are.
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry

Postby pointysticks » 05 22, 2018 •  [Post 13]

last year a cat went after my friend. it happens. i think i happens more than you think. my buddies incident didnt make the news.
cat died from an arrow wound for it's troubles. fish and game descended armed to the teeth to recover the cat..no luck.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l