Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

I just needed to take a leak.

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

I just needed to take a leak.

Postby Lefty » 05 25, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Ive made some great outdoor discoveries while taking a leak or "Contemplating Homer". Ive spotted gold on a sand bar, the biggest buck Ive ever seen slipped away while my zipper was down, Ive had bifg bucks walk past, and the two best finds of ginseng while releaving myself even found a .22 rifle
Once while fishing. My dad pulled the boat up to shore with a 2 fold mission, but mostly to find bait worms.As a 7 year old I jumped out, took care of business and was going to search for fishing worms, in a pile of old logs a pipe was sticking out. I still have that rifle.
Yesterday at first light I slid out of pickup, put my old dog on the ground, walked a short distance,.. and a bugle rang out
Grabbing the binos and spotted a bull clearing a nearby hill. I sat on the tailgate, then a cow mewed 250 yards away, the hillside was smattered with cow elk. Over the next 15 minutes all the elk moved off.But what a great end of May wake-up call.

There has got to be some good "outdoor bathroom" stories and discoveries.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: I just needed to take a leak.

Postby Deanmac » 05 25, 2018 •  [Post 2]

I was hog hunting on Ossabaw Island (barrier island off the GA coast) Those pigs are still similar to ones brought over by the Spaniards. I had hunted hard for three days and had already taken 4 pigs. The last morning I was exploring a new area and had done a bunch of walking. Nature called and I leaned my rifle up against a tree and began to strip down the layers. I am standing there taking care of business and and a huge boar broke out of the palmettos and started running away from me. I guess the closeness and the smell got to the ole boy. With my pants down at my ankles I hobbled over to my gun and threw up and shot the boar running threw the underbrush. I would have to say the best shot I have ever made. I hit the boar in the back of the head and he dropped in his tracks. He is mounted on the wall behind me as I type this post. He had about 5" cutters and was over 10 years old.
Deanmac

Postby Swede » 05 29, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I squatted down to relieve myself in back of camp. While there I found Stringunner's barbeque hid out under the limbs of a White fir tree. After covering the hole I had dug, I got the barbeque and took it in to my camp where I cleaned it all up nice and tidy. When Stringunner arrived in camp at a later date I returned it to him. I am glad I cleaned it well as we ate food prepared on it soon after.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby pointysticks » 05 29, 2018 •  [Post 4]

i climbed the biggest mountain in Animas NM.

this was our FIRST ever deer hunt. my brother and i, we had NO clue what we were doing. none. we were just young and dumb.

it just seemed obvious to climb up high. we were so high we saw the local resident group of bighorn sheep! i had to take a squat.

being a newb, i forgot toilet paper. i was squatting and contemplating what to use. i saw a deer. a big deer. i went running back to by brother with one sleeve of my t-shirt torn off. he dribbled water from his camelback and with campsuds, i washed my hands..yes..i had campsuds. no TP.

i made a far shot and knocked that deer over. which was my second biggest mistake. we had to drop down a nasty cliffside, climb up the opposite one to find that deer. we didnt know anybetter so we dragged it.

man, that year was full of dumb. today, i would have TP and would have passed on that deer because of where he was standing.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Lsb » 05 29, 2018 •  [Post 5]

pointysticks wrote:i climbed the biggest mountain in Animas NM.

this was our FIRST ever deer hunt. my brother and i, we had NO clue what we were doing. none. we were just young and dumb.

it just seemed obvious to climb up high. we were so high we saw the local resident group of bighorn sheep! i had to take a squat.

being a newb, i forgot toilet paper. i was squatting and contemplating what to use. i saw a deer. a big deer. i went running back to by brother with one sleeve of my t-shirt torn off. he dribbled water from his camelback and with campsuds, i washed my hands..yes..i had campsuds. no TP.

i made a far shot and knocked that deer over. which was my second biggest mistake. we had to drop down a nasty cliffside, climb up the opposite one to find that deer. we didnt know anybetter so we dragged it.

man, that year was full of dumb. today, i would have TP and would have passed on that deer because of where he was standing.

You got a picture of that deer?
Lsb

Postby pointysticks » 05 29, 2018 •  [Post 6]

I don’t think I do. It would be an actual photo from back then.
pointysticks

Postby Lsb » 05 30, 2018 •  [Post 7]

I used to hunt around Animas
Lsb

Postby pointysticks » 05 30, 2018 •  [Post 8]

I went back the last two years.

Some great quail and cottontail action to fill the gaps
pointysticks

Postby Lsb » 05 31, 2018 •  [Post 9]

Many coues deer?
Lsb

Postby pointysticks » 05 31, 2018 •  [Post 10]

none. i was in 27 and the whitetail are in the other unit across the highway: unit 26. (or i could have the units flipped)

i only had mulies to go after. we had landowner private land access.
pointysticks

Postby Lsb » 05 31, 2018 •  [Post 11]

My cousin is border patrol down there in a Blackhawk. He says coues numbers are down
Lsb