Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Road trip

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Road trip

Postby wawhitey » 06 02, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Gettin a case of itchyfoot. I think end of july i want to do a little road trip, hit some touristy places like virginia city, deadwood etc. Maybe do a bit of scouting in montana. What else would be worth seeing along that route from WA - SD? Not interested in doing the yellowstone thing. Figure ill camp out of my truck for the most part, get a cheap motel maybe every 3rd day so i can get cleaned up. Any other historical frontier towns worth checking out along the way? Cool museums?
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Re: Road trip

Postby Lsb » 06 02, 2018 •  [Post 2]

I'm on I90 stop in for a meal.
Lsb

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 03, 2018 •  [Post 3]

There are a handful of places to see in NW Montana and then south. Have u been to the Custer battlefield yet?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Roosiebull » 06 04, 2018 •  [Post 4]

that has potential to be awesome!

I am of NO help. I have never been to a state/province that didn't border the mighty pacific. I have been to about 20 miles of cali, up through Washington, costal Canada/BC, and Alaska. I need to get out more. keeping the trend alive in Oct, going to Hawaii with my wife to celebrate our 10th (and yes, i'm bringing my bow ;) )
Roosiebull

Postby wawhitey » 06 04, 2018 •  [Post 5]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:There are a handful of places to see in NW Montana and then south. Have u been to the Custer battlefield yet?

Never been. Thinking i may check it out though. Read a biography on the guy a while back.
wawhitey

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 05, 2018 •  [Post 6]

wawhitey wrote:
WapitiTalk1 wrote:There are a handful of places to see in NW Montana and then south. Have u been to the Custer battlefield yet?

Never been. Thinking i may check it out though. Read a biography on the guy a while back.

Ya, pretty epic story. I had to do a "battle report" for my First Sergeant Course in the Army and I chose the Custer Battle. While many others chose various Vietnam, WW1/II, Korea, etc. battles to do a report/presentation on, I chose Custer and myself and my class were not disappointed. I'll see if I can find my PPoint slide show and send to you. In NW MT where I grew up/spent my young adult life, there are quite a few places worth visiting. By Libby/Troy, Ross Creek Cedars, the Swinging Bridge over the Kootenai River, Libby Dam, and out of Kalispell, obviously Glacier Park but I really like the Hungry Horse Reservoir area..... you cross the Hungry Horse Dam and can drive all the way around the Reservoir, touch a jump off spot into "the Bob" at Spotted Bear, and back around the Res to the beginning of your trek in Martin City. From there, a guy could head down to SW MT, into NW WY, and back up thru ID past a couple of wilderness areas to NE WA.

HH Res.jpg
HH Res.jpg (323.64 KiB) Viewed 2350 times
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Lefty » 06 08, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Have you left yet?
RMEF Grant Creek Rd, Missoula, MT , right off the highway
In Jackson Hole the National Elk refuge
Cody a few Buffalo Bill Center of the West
Museum of the Plains Indian
Cody Firearms Museum then watch the rodeo each night
Buffalo Jumps and Devils tower, look for those whitetail around Devils tower in the eving
AAnd some neat stuff in the Black hills, the bison and prairie dogs,.. the grass might be too high for a good shoot
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby wawhitey » 06 09, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Not yet, looking at end of july. Leaving monday for the arctic for a month or so.
wawhitey