Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

50 $ bucks $

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

50 $ bucks $

Postby Fridaythe13th » 06 21, 2018 •  [Post 1]

I keep getting these fliers in the mailbox for pheasants forever, Rocky Mountain elk Federation, National Rifle Association, Whitetail Unlimited and I'm sure there is many more.
If you only have $50 left after all the other bills life give you.
Where's your hard earned cash going?

I think NRA is where my money will go. What about you?
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Re: 50 $ bucks $

Postby Lefty » 06 21, 2018 •  [Post 2]

On the good years I bought life memberships.
While living in Mn I was a member of a couple conservation clubs. but mostly for access to shooting ranges and water access :oops:
In the early 80's I bought Life memberships to NRA, Minnesota and National Trapper Associations.
When first moving to Idaho I bought a life membership to the Waterfowl Assn.
Some years I attend banquets to many of the organizations. But Im not much of a raffle/auction guy.

Without a lot of extra income Ive spent most of my "extra" money on projects. Mostly gas money and time. Maintaining fences, assisting in keeping trails closed, nesting sites, planting trees and shrubs, assisting Conservation officers and trapping predators on management areas and Refuges.
When weather was decent they were activities I did with my wife and kids.

While money is important,.. volunteer time is even more so.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Tigger » 06 21, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I am members of Pheasants Forever, RMEF, Backcountry Hunters and Anglers and a local conservation group. I volunteer a lot of time for PF and the local group. $50 is a little steep, PF is only $35 and I think RMEF is the same. All of these organizations are great groups and accomplish a lot.
Tigger

Postby Elkhntr08 » 06 21, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Tough one, but I’d have to go with the RMEF. They’ve all pissed me off at one time or another. I’m happy they booted David Allen. Maybe they’ll get back to the basics. National banquet has went to heck in the last couple years. Told a couple board members that this years was are last and they assured us things are going to change.
Elkhntr08

Postby Lsb » 06 21, 2018 •  [Post 5]

I'm going to step on some toes here. While wildlife and hunting organizations do do good things they are some of the biggest anti private property rights groups going. While I don't directly own much property now, that's a big issue for me.

I would give that $50 to 4-H. I donate countless hours to this organization. I am a club leader, council member, county swine superintendent, level 2 nfaa Archery instructor, the 2017 & 2018 coach for the MT Olympic recurve team shooting at Nationals, and am on nearly all county 4-H committees. I also travel the state giving feeding clinics and help with shows. I'm not tooting my own horn, just saying that 4-H is an organization worth donating time and money to in my opinion.
Lsb

Postby Fridaythe13th » 06 22, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Lsb wrote:I'm going to step on some toes here. While wildlife and hunting organizations do do good things they are some of the biggest anti private property rights groups going. While I don't directly own much property now, that's a big issue for me.

I would give that $50 to 4-H. I donate countless hours to this organization. I am a club leader, council member, county swine superintendent, level 2 nfaa Archery instructor, the 2017 & 2018 coach for the MT Olympic recurve team shooting at Nationals, and am on nearly all county 4-H committees. I also travel the state giving feeding clinics and help with shows. I'm not tooting my own horn, just saying that 4-H is an organization worth donating time and money to in my opinion.

My sis in law would agree with you. She is the president of the local 4H club
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby BrentLaBere » 06 22, 2018 •  [Post 7]

RMEF and Mule Deer Foundation have been the top of mine recently.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby Indian Summer » 06 25, 2018 •  [Post 8]

No question RMEF since when I die I’m sure I’m coming back as a bull elk. Bugle magazine alone is worth the money. Aside from that I give to our local homeless vets.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro