Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

No More Trail Cams in Nevada

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

No More Trail Cams in Nevada

Postby Rangerz » 07 13, 2018 •  [Post 1]

I had heard Nevada was working on this.

Wondering if other states will do something similar.

<<<New Trail Camera Regulation Now in Effect

Nevada outdoor enthusiasts,

The Nevada Department of Wildlife wants to ensure that all outdoor enthusiasts are aware of the new seasonal restrictions on the use of trail cameras.

Since 2010, trail cameras have been a topic of discussion in Nevada. The regulation was discussed in dozens of open meetings, including County Advisory Boards to Manage Wildlife, the Nevada Board of Wildlife Commission, and the Legislative Commission. The use of trail cameras, the technology associated with them, and the issues surrounding the use of them have all continued to escalate.

Proponents of the regulation raised several significant issues of concern including the growing commercialization of animal location data. New internet businesses have begun buying and selling GPS location data of animals captured on trail cameras. Also, saturating all or most available water sources with trail cameras in a hunt unit not only disrupts the animals ability to obtain water as camera owners come and go from waters that have as many as 25 or more cameras, but also creates hunter congestion and hunter competition issues. The accessibility to our public lands combined with our wildlife’s dependence on our extremely limited water sources make for some real challenges for both wildlife and outdoor enthusiasts. Proponents of the regulation were quick to point out that whether enhanced, protected, or human created water sources (guzzlers), the waters’ primary purpose is to assist in herd health and herd growth, not for placement of a technological device at an animal concentration site that potentially makes it easier to kill trophy animals.

The new trail camera regulation states that a person shall not place, maintain, or use a trail camera or similar device on public land, or private land without permission from the land owner, from August 1 to December 31 of each year, or if the camera is capable of transmitting the images or video, it shall not be used from July 1 to December 31. The regulation does provide some limited exemptions for livestock monitoring, research, and other miscellaneous uses.

NDOW recognizes that there are wholesome and legitimate uses of trail cameras, and unfortunately the use of cameras have been exploited far beyond most sportsmen’s definition of reasonable. If you come across a trail camera on public land from August 1 to December 31, NDOW is asking that you leave the camera alone, and consider calling an NDOW office to report its location.

You can view the complete adopted regulation here.

Sincerely,

Nevada Department of Wildlife

Posted on 7/12/2018 02:25:46 PM>>>
Rangerz

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Poole

Re: No More Trail Cams in Nevada

Postby Swede » 07 13, 2018 •  [Post 2]

I have not heard of any similar plan for Oregon, but there are proponents for restricting hunting at water holes in some of the desert country.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby saddlesore » 07 13, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I think it's a good thing. A person can't go anywhere without running into them.Whatever happened to good old hunting techniques. That is why it is a called hunting. Another I objection is these companies selling hunt data which shows herd locations,migration routes, best area, I have seen too many really good hunting areas ruined by saturation of hunters relying on these companies.Even write ups in outdoor magazines has all but ruined elk hunting in the FlatTop Wilderness of Colorado.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Lsb » 07 13, 2018 •  [Post 4]

saddlesore wrote:I think it's a good thing. A person can't go anywhere without running into them.Whatever happened to good old hunting techniques. That is why it is a called hunting. Another I objection is these companies selling hunt data which shows herd locations,migration routes, best area, I have seen too many really good hunting areas ruined by saturation of hunters relying on these companies.Even write ups in outdoor magazines has all but ruined elk hunting in the FlatTop Wilderness of Colorado.

A few years back Eastman's put out that the area I hunted was the blue ribbon archery elk otc spot in the state. Down to the road number. You can't hardly stir the people with a stick.
Lsb

Postby Lefty » 07 14, 2018 •  [Post 5]

I think it stinks.

Nevada jumped on the shed hunting season because of Utah.
One group of guides get upset with another group of guides using trail cams. I just hope it doesn't spread. I enjoy placing trail cams, just another less expensive part of hunting.

Nevada lost me as a customer, and I guess Ill share this,.. but my wife and I spent more money evry year in Nevada outside out home state,.. all outdoor related recreational . Most folks are clueless what a gem Nevada was/is.
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby lamrith » 07 18, 2018 •  [Post 6]

To me it sounds like they went with the knee jerk over-reaction in terms of banning like they did. Obviously based on the notification from the state things were grossly out of hand and needed to be curbed, but I think they took the overly easy route rather than trying to find a good balance.

I see the issues as a two fold.
#1 over saturating water/animal congregation locations. Not too hard of a solution, set the regs so the cams can be no closer than X to a watering hole location. These sites are limited locations, so it is not like they are every 100ft. Set a 100yrd, 200yrd, 300yrd min distance.

#2 GPS/wireless exploitation. Pretty simple, do not allow the use of any wireless capable or GPS cams, that will kill 2 birds with one stone. People cannot just drop a cam way out someplace and never go back again, or sell the location info. If they are not able/willing to maintain their cam, then they should not put it out there, and will not be able to effectively sell animal info since it is not "live" data...
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry

Postby Lefty » 07 19, 2018 •  [Post 7]

lamrith wrote:To me it sounds like they went with the knee jerk over-reaction in terms of banning like they did. Obviously based on the notification from the state things were grossly out of hand and needed to be curbed, but I think they took the overly easy route rather than trying to find a good balance..

Im just worried the restrictions will spread across the nation.

Do we need to licensing for commercial use. Or register sites . Identify owner?

I have a tag on my bear bait,.. Identification on my blind, a two rod fishing permit, a trapping license, trapper ID number, HIP registration
Lefty

Postby lamrith » 07 20, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Lefty wrote:
lamrith wrote:To me it sounds like they went with the knee jerk over-reaction in terms of banning like they did. Obviously based on the notification from the state things were grossly out of hand and needed to be curbed, but I think they took the overly easy route rather than trying to find a good balance..

Im just worried the restrictions will spread across the nation.

Do we need to licensing for commercial use. Or register sites . Identify owner?

I have a tag on my bear bait,.. Identification on my blind, a two rod fishing permit, a trapping license, trapper ID number, HIP registration

Yes I too am very worried, in this day in age, everything seems to be based on precedence. One place does it then "IT MUST WORK, SO WE WILL TOO!"

I could see some sort of registration making sense, but honestly, as sportsmen we are already taxed, licensed(charged), fee'd and restricted pretty significantly. Last thing I want to do is offer up a solution that further lines the Govt's coffers and adds us to another database to be tracked.
100Gr. G5 montecs

lamrith

Postby Lefty » 07 20, 2018 •  [Post 9]

lamrith wrote:I could see some sort of registration making sense, but honestly, as sportsmen we are already taxed, licensed(charged), fee'd and restricted pretty significantly. Last thing I want to do is offer up a solution that further lines the Govt's coffers and adds us to another database to be tracked.

My trapper ID had no cost,.. in a number of states,
But maybe that doesn't solve the real problem.
There are some goofy regulations regarding photography and video on public lands. Some of that has changed in recent years. Seems someone bends the right politicians ear and then there in more regulation.

Or perceived :roll: problem
Lefty

Postby lamrith » 07 20, 2018 •  [Post 10]

Lefty wrote:
lamrith wrote:I could see some sort of registration making sense, but honestly, as sportsmen we are already taxed, licensed(charged), fee'd and restricted pretty significantly. Last thing I want to do is offer up a solution that further lines the Govt's coffers and adds us to another database to be tracked.

My trapper ID had no cost,.. in a number of states,
But maybe that doesn't solve the real problem.
There are some goofy regulations regarding photography and video on public lands. Some of that has changed in recent years. Seems someone bends the right politicians ear and then there in more regulation.

Or perceived :roll: problem

YUP!

You would be (or maybe not) surprised at how some people feel about cams in General. I am on another hunting board were some are not bashful at all about proclaiming if they see your cam, they are turning it away from the trail, deleting pictures on the card, etc. I can understand not wanting picture taken, but it not a big enough deal that I would touch someone else's equipment or maliciously mess with it. I have had that happen to a cam we had placed. Came into camp day before the hunt to find the sd card missing completely.
100Gr. G5 montecs

lamrith