Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Terrible weekend-my dog died

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Terrible weekend-my dog died

Postby Tigger » 08 13, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Last weekend was maybe the worst weekend of my life. On Friday night, our 2.5 year old yellow lab died of heat stroke. It was a fluke event as it wasn't even that hot and she wasn't working too hard for too long. But after chasing a few balls in the shade, she started limping. She went steadily downhill from there and passed away at 3 am in the morning. Telling your kids their dog died is one of the hardest things I have ever done. They were absolutely devastated.

I talked to a vet about it and he said that sometimes the stars align and you have no way of knowing what is going on. It doesn't have to be a super hot day, the dog doesn't need to be overworked, it just happens. he lost a dog once doing water retrieves in 70 degree weather. Be careful with your dogs!
Tigger

Re: Terrible weekend-my dog died

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 13, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Dean, so very sorry to hear about your pup. Prayers sent so you and your family so you may get through these tough times. They "are" like family and its never easy when we lose one of our four legged friends. RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 08 13, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I too am sorry to read about the loss of your dog. We sure can get attached to our four legged friends.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby pointysticks » 08 13, 2018 •  [Post 4]

NOOO!!

sorry for the terrible loss!

my mutt loves to fetch and he doesnt know how to back off his throttle. he has two speeds..Stop and FAST.

i keep the fetch sessions short in the heat. did the vet say anything? lessons learned for the rest of us? what to look for, and more importantly, what to do if it does happen? IV fluids? what.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Indian Summer » 08 13, 2018 •  [Post 5]

The exact same thing happened to my nehews English bulldog last year. Chasing a ball in a small level yard and he suddenly became lethargic and seemingly paralyzed then died. They said it was heat stroke. He has 4 year old twins, a boy and a girl who had spent their entire lives with that dog. He was their big brother. Devastating.

Very sorry for your loss Dean. Go get a lively little puppy bud it’ll bring some much needed joy to your family.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby saddlesore » 08 13, 2018 •  [Post 6]

That is a tough deal.So Sorry for your loss.Our dogs are our family. Kids are grown and gone. Out last two dogs passed on and it was a lot of grief. They leave big hole in your heart. After a year,we took in lab cross rescue.Happiest dog we ever had.Maybe because she had a rough earlier life. She has filled that hole,but I hope I pass on before she does as I don't want to go thru it again .
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Elkduds » 08 13, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Condolences for a terrible loss. Like those above, this hits me n a sad and painful nerve.

“The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.”

― Mark Twain

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”

― Will Rogers
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby Tigger » 08 14, 2018 •  [Post 8]

yes, the vet had a lot to say. It doesn't take a hot day. It doesn't take a prolonged time. It doesn't take a lot of doggie effort. Sometimes it just happens. If it does, submerge in cool water asap. stay in the water for a long time. It takes a long time to get coolness through that muscle mass to the organs. Look for any signs that something isn't right. Mine started with a slight limp in the back left leg. If they vomit, treat as an emergency. If diarrhea too, treat as a double emergency.
Tigger

Postby Lefty » 08 14, 2018 •  [Post 9]

So sorry to hear of your families loss. We do seem to get too attached to our furry companions.
A new puppy wont cure the grief,.. but it will keep you distracted.

My old lab is having a tough time. Her day I expect will be soon. Monday I had to lift her from her bed She doesnt seem to be in pain.
I didnt expect her to be this healthy , this old. Last fall I dug her hole in the pasture and kept a dozen pails of dirt to fill the hole when needed.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby ishy » 08 28, 2018 •  [Post 10]

So sorry, those unexpected ones are the worst.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby pointysticks » 08 28, 2018 •  [Post 11]

Tigger wrote:yes, the vet had a lot to say. It doesn't take a hot day. It doesn't take a prolonged time. It doesn't take a lot of doggie effort. Sometimes it just happens. If it does, submerge in cool water asap. stay in the water for a long time. It takes a long time to get coolness through that muscle mass to the organs. Look for any signs that something isn't right. Mine started with a slight limp in the back left leg. If they vomit, treat as an emergency. If diarrhea too, treat as a double emergency.

thanks for the information.

my dog gets like this "runner's high" he gets so excited he just squats and shoot diarrhea.

i'll keep close tabs.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Roosiebull » 08 28, 2018 •  [Post 12]

Man, I'm sorry, that was sad to read. The only downside to dog ownership, they don't live long enough. Even worse when they leave before their time is up.
Roosiebull

Postby Wapiti » 08 29, 2018 •  [Post 13]

I'm very sorry to hear of your dog's early passing. I lost my girl 2 years ago at 16 years of age and it still hurts. They are truly family and she was to me one of my most cherished family members !
Wapiti River Outdoors
780-876-6170
http://www.wapitiriveroutdoors.com
Wapiti
Site Sponsor

First Name: Travis
Last Name: O'Shea