Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

2019 family vacation. Need help

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

2019 family vacation. Need help

Postby Fridaythe13th » 08 15, 2018 •  [Post 1]

2 couple's, 4 kids ( ages 7-14 ) are going to Yellowstone in early August 2019. Just started looking places and thing to see and do while finding fun kids activities. Right now the tentative plan is to leave Friday mid afternoon from Minnesota and staying in Mitchell SD and from there a long drive to Cody WY to hit the rodeo Saturday night, Sunday morning, buffalo bill UTCmuseum, than make are way to through Yellowstone to the west gate for 3 or 4 night. Does any know of a place to stay that is reasonable? The hotels are $250 to $500 a night.. ouch. Looking into VRBO or cabins.
For the last part of the trip is to spend a couple of days around Jackson Hole visiting the Teton. Again super expensive.
I'm looking for place to stay that are clean, things to do to make the kids happy and not to break the bank.
Myself, I could walk the mountains everyday look at wildlife and sleep in a tent, but I dont think momma bear or kid would be that happy.
Does anybody have help for the Griswold's
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Re: 2019 family vacation. Need help

Postby Tigger » 08 15, 2018 •  [Post 2]

first buy some wood grain panel siding for your vehicle...

the museum in Cody will take more time than you can possibly allot for it, so keep that in mind. Your ticket is (or was the last time I was there) good for 2 days because you cannot possibly see all of it in 1 day.

West Yellowstone is a nice town to visit and the bear center is really cool.

Check out the camper cabins at various campgrounds. A camper cabin is a small cabin with or without running water. Very small, like 12X16. bunks. maybe a bathroom maybe not. Those are much cheaper.
Tigger

Postby Fridaythe13th » 08 15, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Tigger wrote:first buy some wood grain panel siding for your vehicle...

the museum in Cody will take more time than you can possibly allot for it, so keep that in mind. Your ticket is (or was the last time I was there) good for 2 days because you cannot possibly see all of it in 1 day.

West Yellowstone is a nice town to visit and the bear center is really cool.

Check out the camper cabins at various campgrounds. A camper cabin is a small cabin with or without running water. Very small, like 12X16. bunks. maybe a bathroom maybe not. Those are much cheaper.

Lol. I like the idea of the wood panel. Its been 35 years since I've been to the museum in cody.
Fridaythe13th

Postby saddlesore » 08 15, 2018 •  [Post 4]

My wife and I spent a lot of time in Yellowstone back in the 80's photographing wildlife.However,that was usually in late September,but crowds were still heavy.We mostly stayed in Gardner just outside the North entrance.It was considerably less expensive.
Traveling thru the park takes good bit of time,especially going in from Cody, so build that into you schedule , plus crowds jamming the road when wildlife is close or a herd of bison decides to camp out on the road.

Can't help much on the todo's as we spent most of our time on trails
I an only give advice on two counts. First keep your sense of humor, and the second is practice and enormous amount of patience.You will get the idea that tourist check their brains at the park entrance
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Fridaythe13th » 08 16, 2018 •  [Post 5]

[quote="saddlesore"]tourist check their brains at the park entrance[/quote

To funny. I'll try to remember my patient pants.
Thank for the insight on Gardner I'll check it out.
Fridaythe13th

Postby Indian Summer » 08 16, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Al’s Westward Ho Motel. Clean and sufficient. Literally 100 yards from the west gate and in walking distance to everything including the wolf and grizzly recovery center. Most affordable hotel in West Yellowstone. I stayed there last week.

http://alswestwardhomotel.net

Breakfast: Running Bear Pancake House. Dinner: Bullwinkles
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Indian Summer » 08 16, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Jackson is expensive! A huckleberry milkshake at Jackson Drug is $10. (But worth it) If you don’t mind a beautiful 40 mile ride along the Snake River the Bull Moose Inn in Alpine has rooms at a decent price. I love the Flying Saddle for a little more. Most comfortable beds in Wyoming! Breakfast down there at the Yankee Doodle Cafe.

Halfway between Jackson and Alpine is Hoback Junction. You can rent kayaks or rafts there. Affordable fun. Take a fishing rod the trout are everywhere.

3-4 days in Yellowstone is a lot. 3 ok 4 too many.
Indian Summer

Postby Lefty » 08 16, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Jackson, Teatons, West Yellowstone are high price
There are enough places to eat reasonably , unfortunately lodging is high
Hit the western Art museum north of Jackson and the elk refuge center
Also the interpritive center in Teton is a good stop too
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Lefty » 08 16, 2018 •  [Post 9]

Indian Summer wrote:Jackson is expensive! A huckleberry milkshake at Jackson Drug is $10. (But worth it) If you don’t mind a beautiful 40 mile ride along the Snake River the Bull Moose Inn in Alpine has rooms at a decent price. I love the Flying Saddle for a little more. Most comfortable beds in Wyoming! Breakfast down there at the Yankee Doodle Cafe.

Halfway between Jackson and Alpine is Hoback Junction. You can rent kayaks or rafts there. Affordable fun. Take a fishing rid the trout are everywhere.

3-4 days in Yellowstone is a lot. 3 ok 4 too many.

We take quite a few day trips .
You could easily spend all summer and all your money.

I would suggest a guided trip on the Snake your first round

Think about a horse back trail ride Yellowstone is still fair priced.
Slip over to Ashton , much cheaper for a night Bear World is fun for most then swing through Driggs and back up Alpine.
Alpine is finishing up a bunch of lodging I suspect it will be Half the price or less than Jackson

Hit the tram at Teton
I’m sure Rockefeller is priced high but not being Yellowstone Teton or Jackson it may be less

Pres Oboma made some comment that Yellstone is an affordable vacation for Americans;I suspect I’m not part of most Americans :roll:

Smart to start planning now before everything is booked
Once you have an idea I can give you more things to do.
Lefty

Postby Fridaythe13th » 08 16, 2018 •  [Post 10]

Super, I love the help. I called al's westward, not taking reservations till November for next year.
A family rafting trip sounds fun. Is it fast whitewater?
I have never been on a horse. It would be good practice for that guided elk or mule deer hunt that I hope to take someday. I have 10 points for mule deer Colorado.
Fridaythe13th

Postby Indian Summer » 08 16, 2018 •  [Post 11]

You have options for the type of water you raft. From Jackson to Hoback is pretty smooth water. North of Jackson to the lake is so slow you have to row to cover any ground. From Hoback to Alpine there are some “exciting spots”. Nothing too extreme or unsafe for families. Tell them how old your kids are and you’ll be fine.

All of the horses used for tourists are very easy going. I think your family would really enjoy a short ride. It’s a great way to get out of the vehicle and see some things without having to hike.

You are right about rates in Alpine Lefty. Rooms are around $129. Jackson ranges from about $225 for Motel 6 to your first born child. I see they are building a new place in Alpine. Not sure what it’s going to be.

Further down the Star Valley toward Afton prices drop for sure. I do love Alpine though.
Indian Summer

Postby Lefty » 08 16, 2018 •  [Post 12]

Indian Summer wrote:You are right about rates in Alpine Lefty. Rooms are around $129. Jackson ranges from about $225 for Motel 6 to your first born child. I see they are building a new place in Alpine. Not sure what it’s going to be.
Further down the Star Valley toward Afton prices drop for sure. I do love Alpine though.

Weve stayed in the older place in Alpine,.... $65.00

We Also have stayed just out of Jackson in February 3,4 years back breakfast, a sleigh ride in the refuge and the night were $100
I totally spaced out the flatter water above and below town.

I was only thinking of whitewater,a few people die every year and generally it is mid and late season.

Harriman State park in Idaho is a good place to ride,.. http://www.dryridge.com/trips-yellowstone.php
Lefty

Postby Fridaythe13th » 08 17, 2018 •  [Post 13]

We started looking into Alpine that might be the ticket, great ride to Jackson for some horseback riding or rafting or both, from there getting a hotel in Riverton on the way back to MN. Thanks fellas a plan is starting to come together.
Fridaythe13th

Postby Tigger » 08 17, 2018 •  [Post 14]

We went on a horseback ride just north of Jackson for my honeymoon. Those horses were anything but gentle and bucked me off! It was a fantastic bucking display, it is just too bad I wasn't around to see it as I flew off on buck #1! Then the dumb horse got his feet caught in a 1 foot wide muddy creek and fell over on me. I am confident that it is long enough ago that the horse has certainly died, and that makes me smile! :o
Tigger

Postby Lefty » 08 17, 2018 •  [Post 15]

Tigger wrote:We went on a horseback ride just north of Jackson for my honeymoon. Those horses were anything but gentle and bucked me off! It was a fantastic bucking display, it is just too bad I wasn't around to see it as I flew off on buck #1! Then the dumb horse got his feet caught in a 1 foot wide muddy creek and fell over on me. I am confident that it is long enough ago that the horse has certainly died, and that makes me smile! :o

My youth experiences with horses was similar. Kicked, bit, thrown,
When I got married my brother-in-law said he had had some "good" horses that needed a tune-up. Coming from southern Mn. I had know idea what that meant. My wife and I tried to go for a ride. 600 yards from the pasture both horse want back. As barn sour as they get. And I wasnt a good enough rider at he time to know what to do. My BIL hopped,.. and he went for a ride... straight up ,,.. then down,..but the horse was no longer below him :lol:
There are two kinds of horse, horses that are a joy to ride,.. and the opposite.

With that said most outfitters and this late in the season the horses will be "good". My wife and daughter have horses,.. I just take care of them water the pasture, feed, fix fence and pay for new tac. :roll:
My daughters horse has had thousands of hours of seat time and almost as much bareback. The horse is perfect with my daughter and myself. Last night she brought a cowboy over ,with the saddle in the trailer, he made it 300 yards before "Monet" (paint/quarter) showed him he wasnt the boss.

Just tell the wrangler you cant ride.
Lefty

Postby Fridaythe13th » 08 17, 2018 •  [Post 16]

Soooooooo horses are as crazy as the people riding them. Lol
Fridaythe13th