Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Cool things we saw in the woods this season...

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby Jhg » 09 07, 2018 •  [Post 1]

I was topping out on a bald knob right at daybreak on my way up mountain through open dark timber. I was maybe halfway up slope and had just stepped out into this little opening of rock when a peregrine falcon made a stoop on a migrating dove right over my head. He/she must have finished her dive just a few feet above me- the sound of the air over the wings as the hawk pulled up was amazing. The dove just barely escaped and perched right near me, clearly rattled. I think the hawk pulled up just as it saw me move under its prey, messing up its calculus. A very unexpected and neat encounter I won't soon forget. Love being in the woods as dawn opens up the day.
Jhg

Re: Cool things we saw in the woods this season...

Postby Lefty » 09 09, 2018 •  [Post 2]

W I hope to add a whole lot more before the end of the season.
But so far,..trah-lah
Last night we came upon a seat ,... from something,.. then I saw the bear teeth marks, then suggested we start looking for a bear bait.
Bait barrel, tree stand, safety harness,.. trail cameras, everything appeared new. lots of rotten moldy bait,.. gallon jugs of Bear Masters looks like it had been there since spring and not cleaned up or checked,.. maybe the guy died! Oh and no bear bait tag or I would have had the IDFG give the guy a call. If its still there after the snow flies Il give the CO the location
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby wawhitey » 09 09, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I had a cool bird encounter a few nights ago. Stood up in my stand at last light, putting my wool coat on, i guess the sound of my arm sliding into the sleeves mustve sounded like a squirrel climbing the tree. An owl came straight at my face, and when it got maybe 3 feet away it did a quick reverse beating of its wings, hovered in midair right in front of me for a second looking me in the eye then flew a couple trees over and landed.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Indian Summer » 09 11, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Not me but.... they hired three guys from El Salvador at work. Two barely speak English. Nice guys though and the one I work with is a pretty darn good carpenter. I said something about Wyoming today and the one guy said “I was in Wyoming”. “They have big rabbits with horns” I laughed and so no dude those are called jackalopes, they are fake. Did you see one hanging on a wall somewhere? He said yes but I also saw several of them running on the prairie. I tried telling him that jack rabbits have huge ears and you must have mistaken them for what you saw on the wall. He googled up “rabbits with horns” and proved to me that they were real. Man were we howling our butts off!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Lefty » 09 16, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Found a really neat cabin Thursday morning on FS ground.
Not sure why it was there. Built from cut lumber, manufactured (milled) glass window frame and a door about 66 inches. Inside walls. and nearly 2 cord of wood that hadn't rotted away.

Found a vein of obsidian and 70 head of lost sheep.
Lefty

Postby Navesgane » 09 16, 2018 •  [Post 6]

I found a handgun the other day that may have been used in a crime. Waiting to get the word back from the sheriffs department then I'll post the story and pictures. The gun- Ruger MarkIII had been out there for several years and everything on it was seized up.
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff

Postby Lefty » 09 17, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Navesgane wrote:I found a handgun the other day that may have been used in a crime. Waiting to get the word back from the sheriffs department then I'll post the story and pictures. The gun- Ruger MarkIII had been out there for several years and everything on it was seized up.

Crime scenes burnt or parted cars
Stolen dozers
Plane crashsites
All not so bad finds
But human bones and clothing real creepy
Lefty

Postby Swede » 09 17, 2018 •  [Post 8]

I sure saw a lot of bears this season. I had four come to my stand one morning alone. Then that afternoon my cousin had three bears come to that same place. It seemed everywhere we went we ran into bears. It almost made me wish I had a bear tag.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Magic » 09 18, 2018 •  [Post 9]

Stopped by to visit a friend Friday morning and he said, "you ain't gonna believe this". He had decided Thursday evening to check out his nearby food plot and circled it in his truck. When he approached the elevated box stand he noticed that the door was open. That was strange because he always kept it closed. When he stopped and looked up he could see a boot kinda sticking out so he yelled out. No answer so he shook the ladder. Still nothing so he knew that his buddies had set him up with a joke. He climbed up a few steps, grabbed boot but the boot didn't move. Another step up the ladder and saw that the boot was still attached to someone. A dead someone and he had been there about a week. No missing person alert, no weapon, nor drugs but he did end up with the Sheriff, deputies, constable, first responders, volunteer firemen, & coroner and a long night. He will also have to build a new box stand.

OK, the topic title is "Cool things" and this ain't but we never know what we might encounter when we step into the woods, even on your own property.
Magic

First Name: Lynn
Last Name: D

Postby Lsb » 09 26, 2018 •  [Post 10]

This double rainbow last week was pretty cool. No gold, or elk at the bottom that we could find.
Attachments
rainbow0.jpg
rainbow0.jpg (179.5 KiB) Viewed 7445 times
Lsb

Postby Jesse208 » 09 29, 2018 •  [Post 11]

In an area we have hunted for as long as I can remember, we have not seen physical wolves. Seen track and scat, not very often, but always wondered and we never heard howls. In a drainage that we pulled two bulls out of this year, we were still hearing bugles in the early morning dark and trying to fill one more tag. At sunrise we made our way up to a draw that one of the carcasses was in for about 2 weeks now, following nice bear tracks all the way to it. Hopeful because we had bear tags, but still prioritizing elk. After bumping two golden eagles that live up there (last year we watched them attack a spike) we tucked into the trees on the side of an opening near the carcass and let out a few cow calls then a location bugle. Not 5 minutes later I look down thinking I saw a color phase bear moving in, roughly 60 yards on the trail below us. I saw the tail, and then the face, and realized that a week before I had seen this wolf running silently through the trees in that very same draw, but I was unsure of what i saw. He saw us about the time we recognized him and he turned and trotted off. Awesome to see a wolf that close, but also disappointing in your “honey hole” and we will now be packing wolf tags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jesse208

Postby Swede » 09 30, 2018 •  [Post 12]

I guess this is cool or just maybe stupid. I am not sure which. I was parked out on this rough rocky native surfaced road, and along came two guys riding on Harley motorcycles. They went on past, but in about ten minutes I see they are heading back to the paved road about 1/2 mile away. I am nearly certain they were lost, and it finally dawned on them they were headed the wrong way. Cool Dude. :D
Swede

Postby Elkduds » 09 30, 2018 •  [Post 13]

Looking for elk, this was a surprise. CO, very dry, 10K elevation.
mooseaspensmall.jpg
mooseaspensmall.jpg (169.19 KiB) Viewed 7395 times
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby Elkhunttoo » 10 01, 2018 •  [Post 14]

Last week my wife and I had a calf elk bed down by us (25 yards) for our afternoon nap. I thought that was pretty cool until the shade was gone the the sun was beeming on us and my legs were cramped up from being uncomfortable. All in all it was a neat experience
Elkhunttoo

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 05, 2018 •  [Post 15]

I saw (and acquired) this unusual little critter. Found it in a granite field on top of a burned mountain in the Frank in Idaho a few weeks ago. It almost looks as if a machine carved the point out, and, you can see the darkening inside the object from multiple fires/smoke over the years. I'm hoping it's a rare XXXX carrot diamond and I can finally buy that remote hunting lodge I've always wanted ;).
Fire Quartz Crystal.png
Fire Quartz Crystal.png (607.05 KiB) Viewed 7357 times
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 10 05, 2018 •  [Post 16]

RJ, there was a fellow on here offering a remote cabin on some acreage in Alaska. You could offer him your jewel as earnest on the place. It never hurts to try. :D
Swede

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 05, 2018 •  [Post 17]

Swede wrote:RJ, there was a fellow on here offering a remote cabin on some acreage in Alaska. You could offer him your jewel as earnest on the place. It never hurts to try. :D

Ha, good idea :D
WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 25, 2018 •  [Post 18]

Not cool, but a bit strange. Found this in my new black tail area last week. It's about 3 miles back in on a gates road........ It's perched just like I found it. ]

Odd.jpg
Odd.jpg (45.76 KiB) Viewed 7274 times
WapitiTalk1

Postby Lsb » 10 25, 2018 •  [Post 19]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Not cool, but a bit strange. Found this in my new black tail area last week. It's about 3 miles back in on a gates road........ It's perched just like I found it. ]

Odd.jpg

There's got to be one heck of a story behind that
Lsb

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 28, 2018 •  [Post 20]

Lsb wrote:
WapitiTalk1 wrote:Not cool, but a bit strange. Found this in my new black tail area last week. It's about 3 miles back in on a gates road........ It's perched just like I found it. ]

Odd.jpg

There's got to be one heck of a story behind that

Weird thing I saw 3 spike elk within a hundred yards of that thing while black tail hunting this morning ;)
WapitiTalk1

Postby Lefty » 10 31, 2018 •  [Post 21]

Yesterday coming back from the woods I saw a dead fox pup barely furred out,.. must have been born in September
Ran across some geologist. While the mines havent operated in years the gold mine is really locking out other claims in the area.

Reminds me I did see a bastard red fox in the desert,.. black fur, white soxs and tipped tail,.. really cool looking
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 11 04, 2018 •  [Post 22]

Yesterday I found a 42 inch crowbar. didnt look like it had been used,.. and had been laying out for 50 or more years.
Maybe some BLM worker of miner had it on the tailgate!
Lefty

Postby Jhg » 11 04, 2018 •  [Post 23]

Not this year, but back East where I grew up I came across a granite foundation slab that was still sitting in the parent rock it had been (hand tools) split from. There was a piece the size of a softball propping it up. It must have been 2000lbs. They never came back for it after all that work. The forest had long ago reclaimed the nearby homestead. I still wonder about the back story that goes with it.
Jhg

Postby >>>---WW----> » 11 04, 2018 •  [Post 24]

Not this year but a few years back, I found a 1879 silver dollar in mint condition.
>>>---WW---->

Postby Fridaythe13th » 11 05, 2018 •  [Post 25]

One time in the elk woods I saw a big tan thing with horns growing out of its head. He was laughing at me as he walk away, you had to be there. Lol
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby muzzyelk » 11 14, 2018 •  [Post 26]

this is the cool thing i saw...piebald blacktail
Attachments
rsz_piebald_2.jpg
rsz_piebald_2.jpg (115.78 KiB) Viewed 7093 times
muzzyelk