Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Leaving the mountains

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Leaving the mountains

Postby Navesgane » 09 24, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Well I've enjoyed my time living in the Colorado mountains for the last six years but due to unforeseen circumstances we'll be moving at the end of next month to... Ohio :cry: On the bright side I'll be able to hunt whitetail throughout the winter. So anyone have any private land in Ohio?? :D
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff

Re: Leaving the mountains

Postby Deanmac » 09 24, 2018 •  [Post 2]

lots of public land in OHIO, folks from my area go every year. I almost went this year but did not have a chance to do a scouting trip.
Deanmac

Postby Elkduds » 09 24, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Hate to see you go. Best of luck in future adventures, hope you find your way back to the Centennial State.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby Lefty » 09 25, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Will September elk be calling you back west?
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Fridaythe13th » 09 25, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Welcome to the midwest. Colorado offer a life time tag it's a no-brainer. Big bucks in Ohio. :D
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Navesgane » 09 25, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Thanks! And yes Lefty I'll most certainly be writing "must have at least two weeks off in September" on all of my job applications I'll be filling out soon. :D
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

Postby Swede » 09 25, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Best wishes on your new ventures in Ohio. Colorado is not going anywhere, so you can always go back for hunting or to live.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 09 25, 2018 •  [Post 8]

As you probably know there are some big bucks in Ohio. But numbers are relatively low compared to say Pennsylvania. It’s a bit of an all or nothing state to hunt. Private land isn’t easy to get on and not cheap to lease. Pa guys have made the price go up for sure because not only is it close but also we can hunt Sundays there. So it’s a better deal for guys who can only hunt weekends. I love the very end of bow season on a really cold winter when the big boys are forced to drop their guard and go to feed while it’s still light enough to shoot. Otherwise many of the monsters are very nocturnal. What part of Ohio are you moving to? Some areas are much better than others.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Navesgane » 09 25, 2018 •  [Post 9]

NE Ohio around Geneva on the lake, close to the PA border. We actually found a sweet house right on the lake to rent for the winter and early spring, then it's a vacation rental after that so we'll either find something else or plan our next move. Not sure of our long term plans after then- it's all up to my wife right now as she put her career path on hold while we were here in this small mountain town and I kept us here about three years longer than she/we were planning. Her dad has 100 acres around there that's never been hunted tho so I'll be spending some time buttering him up helping him out on the property and hopefully he'll let me hunt it. :D also looking forward to doing some turkey and bird hunting as I haven't really done a whole lot of that yet.
Is there much public land hunting in PA? You can't hunt there an Sunday's?
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane