Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Hunting bucket list or dumb luck, or plain stupid!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Hunting bucket list or dumb luck, or plain stupid!

Postby Lefty » 09 25, 2018 •  [Post 1]

What are some things you would like to do or have happen hunting.

I ran with a guy whose goal was to kill an Oregon Archery elk, bear and deer in one day.
For years he managed to kill two of the three,.. Im sure he has done that by now.

Years ago (41) I had plans of jumping on a deer and tagging it. I figured I could just drop down from above,,..Plenty stupid, I know.
What about you and your crew,.. whats on the list, what has happened, stupid , lucky, or just a challenge :o
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Hunting bucket list or dumb luck, or plain stupid!

Postby Lsb » 09 25, 2018 •  [Post 2]

I got my mountain goat and she's a non typical.
Lsb

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 09 25, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I have set my sights on very over sided (for species) fish a fair number of times, and struck gold. It got to the point that all my family could talk about me to people was about my fishcapades. I can't say that God smiles on me quite the same way in hunting, although my only bull elk to date was with a longbow and big enough to mount.

Someday I want to kill a bighorn ram with a trad bow though. Call that my bucket list.

Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby Fridaythe13th » 09 26, 2018 •  [Post 4]

After reading paul (elknut) story.
Now picture a teenager stomping there foot and saying in a whinny voice. "I want to be run over by a heard bull like paul." Lol

This might be a little corny, but I would love to take my boy out elk hunting. He is 9 and I'm 46. He has CP and I hope he can shoot a crossbow and walk side hills. His legs get tired really fast. I'm 90 percent sure it well happen.
Other bucket list is Canada moose hunt. And to ride a horse to a camp miles back in the mountains and burn up my mule deer points. 10 points Colorado so far.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Swede » 09 26, 2018 •  [Post 5]

I used to find fawns in the forest and run them down and catch them. I can't and wouldn't do that anymore, but it was something I did just for the challenge. One time several deer were walking toward me, as the logging cat (bulldozer came back to be hooked to another turn of logs. I caught the last doe that passed by as I stood still in the skid road. Sure it was stupid, but I doubt it had any affect on the deer.
I have not thought about a bucket list, but to hunt until I am 80 seems to be a worthy goal. After that I may want to tell you young whipper snappers what hunting was like in the old days. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 09 27, 2018 •  [Post 6]

My brother thought a mature deer would kick the not right out of a guy

I released an antelope from a fence lots of spunk and flying hooves tossed again out of an irrigation ditch but it was so tired it didn’t have much fight in it
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H