Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Getting Rid Of Trash

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Getting Rid Of Trash

Postby Swede » 10 08, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Getting rid of trash like paper and tin cans is a problem. Even in paid Forest Service campgrounds they have no place to dump your trash.
You could use their outdoor toilets I suppose, but that is rather messy for someone to deal with, not to mention the shock to the next toilet user. Another alternative that seems to be popular, is to just leave it in your camp site. When you take off for home, it stays for the next person to deal with, or not. One guy I heard about tried to dump his in a dumpster behind a restaurant in town. He got caught and ended up taking it back home with him. :oops:
Where I camped there is an old homemade toilet nearby that was left behind. They did not dig a hole, and there was toilet paper all around plus excrement. There was also old carpeting and other items left behind. My brother and I picked up some trash, but the toilet and carpeting are still there.
I found another way that works for me so far. Where I fill up with gas, or when I go into a restaurant to purchase a meal, etc. that I think has a dumpster, I ask what they would charge to leave a sack of garbage. I have been told I can use theirs for free. The most I have paid has been $2.00. I have been told no, but I have always got rid of the garbage somewhere, and not had any issue or embarrassment to deal with.
Any other good ideas or good trash stories?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Getting Rid Of Trash

Postby Lefty » 10 09, 2018 •  [Post 2]

I just toss it out the window driving down the roads gives the convicts something to do

Just kidding

My general sceneries is trash goes to the passenger floor of the pickup
Every so often I put it in my trash at home
Or maybe a bit at the gas station

Durning hunting season my dirty clothes bag ( plastic garbage bag )
From the previous hunt is used as a trash bag

Most times it comes home with me then in our home trash .
I have used a wayside rests dumpsters while on trips
Unlike some greenery (Swede) states other western states have rest area garbage cans or dumpsters
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 10 09, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I knew a fellow that dumped his garbage in the beautiful lawns of the wealthy living in the suburbs. He claimed it was not really littering because as soon as the owners saw the garbage, it was picked up and taken away. Problem solved.
I will mention that he did not care if he was jailed either. In jail he got three hots and a cot. It was a great deal and he was not paying to get out. He had nothing, so there was nothing anyone could get from him either. He was never jailed for his garbage disposal scheme that I know of. I think he was hauled in on some drug charges. For him it was a win-win situation. Free room and board. Life is good. :D
Swede

Postby Jhg » 10 09, 2018 •  [Post 4]

They taught us how to get our trash down to almost nothing when I was a wilderness river guide (7-14 days, 7-30 peeps). Re-package everyrhing that is in its own package into zip locks. The zip locks become handy for gooey trash that somehow appears, or get flattened out. Cans can be cleaned in a fire if thats an option. Prep all your foods ahead- washing, cutting up etc (except garlic OMG!!!). Pre make meals and freeze to be re heated. You will end up with almost no trash. 2 guys 7 days maybe 2 plastic bags like they give you shopping at the grocery store..
Jhg

Postby Swede » 10 09, 2018 •  [Post 5]

A common way I see trash get disposed of around here, is to throw it loose and uncovered in the back of a pickup, then speed down the highway. What is left you can just toss in the waste can outside of the super market. I never see anyone get pulled over for that. Maybe if you drive fast down a rough road, you will arrive at you destination with no trash at all to deal with.
Swede

Postby Magic » 10 09, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Everything goes in heavy duty trash bags in the enclosed utility trailer. Sometimes we find a dumpster on the way home. If not, it comes home with me.
Magic

First Name: Lynn
Last Name: D

Postby Lefty » 10 10, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Our Boy Scout troop trailer we hung hooks to strap industrial trash bags.
Scouts get trash duty if they leave anything around,.. some simple training and the messy gooey stuff that cant be burned goes in the bag.

Jhg mentioned a few things,..as simplistic as it sounds re package or dont bring items that become trash.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H