Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Alarm Bark Or Nervous/Popping Grunt?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Alarm Bark Or Nervous/Popping Grunt?

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 15, 2012 •  [Post 1]

This is a Topic that was barely touched upon below & it's a question that comes up through emails & phone calls regularly! It's no doubt important to know the difference between the two whether you're using it in an elk encounter or are hearing such a sound & need to identify quickly what you're hearing? The Nervous Grunt is a powerful tool/sound when employed at the right time, the reason of it's potency is because it asks something of other elk, elk know what this sound means as they interact throughout the year. This is not just a rutting time sound, it's just when us hunters are in the field the most!

The Alarm Bark is a repetitious sound given several times in a 30 second span! A Nervous/Popping Grunt is given only once then the area is scanned as that elk watches & listens intently for a visual or satisfying sound! It asks for an identification! This is what makes it so deadly when needing to stop an elk in its tracks for a shot opportunity over a cow sound such as a mew or chirp that asks nothing of other elk, it just represents an elk!

Who here has experiences either of these sounds? This can be helpful to those who have not but they will sooner or later! (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Re: Alarm Bark Or Nervous/Popping Grunt?

Postby eltaco » 06 15, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Paul, do you have a sound clip to distinguish the difference? Up until this year, I wasn't aware there was any difference... I'm still not certain that I could distinguish them other than the call frequency.

All I know is how I've witnessed it in the field, and I can say for sure that if I don't react correctly within a couple of seconds, my setup is finished.
eltaco

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 15, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Jeremy, it's not important to distinguish a bark from a nervous grunt! It's not the sound difference you listen for, it's the repetition of the bark or the one note single Grunt! You'll know if it's a bark pronto, they are out of there in a hurry no if ands or buts & the barking continues as they put distance between you & them! (grin) If other elk are in the area they too can start this bark & can be gone! So its barking & running! The Nervous/Popping Grunt is one note & the elk will still stick around most likely giving it several more times in a few minute time span, we've had them stick around for 5-10 minutes trying to see this other elk that they heard or trying to identify a movement they caught! All this taking place with just enough cover not with us standing in the open.

It's just like when we use it in an encounter, we give the nervous grunt once! That's all it takes to get the job done to stop them or get the elk to move just a bit more to get a better look at where we vocalized it!That is our shot right there!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 15, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Just so folks don't get confused, it's the nervous grunt that was being used by this bull the Theelkhunter is referring too, as his buddy kept cow calling this bull wanted this cow to come on out, this is why he gave it over & over yet didn't take off until he realized something was up as the cow didn't show at his requests! Game over! (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 15, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Did, you have the CD sounds By The Elk to show him?

I want to thank you for sharing a great example of a real life elk encounter that showed when the nervous/popping grunt is used they do not immediately run off! If it were an alarm bark & that bull would have immediately run off! Thanks!!!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 15, 2012 •  [Post 6]

LOL!!!
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul