Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk whining?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Re: Elk whining?

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 15, 2012 •  [Post 1]

I feel chuckling is exactly what you heard! It comes in various forms & volumes especially when you consider age of bull differences. I would guess you had cow called within your scenario & he was calling to you with the whining type chuckles, it's not an intimidation sound but an asking you to come over his way! It's possible he got to a spot where he could see the source of the calling & saw nothing therefore he hung up right there wanting you to come the rest of the way! (the cow)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Elktracker » 06 15, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I recall paul talking about doing a whiney repetative bugle when things just arent happening to simulate a lone bull or satelite. I have tried this and after a while I finally got a location bugle in response after about ten minutes of doing this off and on. Almost as if the other bull was telling me to be quiet :) it was nearing dark when I got the response so I couldnt act on it but I got a response when nothing else was working!

I was thinking while doing this whiney squeely bugle for long periods of time " I hope no one is listening to me!" I actually was suprised I didnt call in a predater with this calling!

Josh
Elktracker

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 15, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Good stuff there, another great example of the types of sounds any elk can use when showing excitement and trying to bring this cow his way, many times they will also pant & give a moan type groan there too. I've used these sounds with my voice as they are very tough to imitate with a physical call!

ElKNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby westaner » 06 15, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I heard the sound Theelkhunter is refering to, its a bulls high pitch moans,sort of like a cows whine. You can hear it also before a bull does a advertising bugle some times. kind of wavy in pitch. If I can figure this computer out ive got a youtube video with it. It always seems the bull is courting/sniffing the cows .He just wants to keep low key.
westaner

First Name: K.C.

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 16, 2012 •  [Post 5]

westaner, that would be great, I'd love to see it! If it's a youtube clip check out the Thread about "Embedding A Video"

ElKNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby >>>---WW----> » 06 16, 2012 •  [Post 6]

I can't honestly say that I have heard the sounds you guys are referring to here and I have been hunting elk for close to 35 years. Could be that I have heard it but just didn't relate it as a whining type of sound.

However, I have heard a bull make a true whine. It was exactly like a small puppy begging for something but only about half as loud. You had to be real close to even hear it.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Buglemaster » 06 16, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Ol WW cant hear himself fart most of the time. :P I've heard them do it pretty frequently over the years.Like Bill said, it is alot like a pup whining. Always thought it sounded like a frustrated vocalization call when he's intimidated by the larger bulls & afraid to say enough to upset the big boy. Billy, just kiddin! You know I'm the one who cant hear shat.
Buglemaster

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Shaklee

Postby >>>---WW----> » 06 16, 2012 •  [Post 8]

OK OK Bungle OOPS! I mean Buglemaster. Really guys, Dave and I are good friends. At least we were ! LOL!

I know for sure what the whining bull I heard wanted. In this particular case, it was a penned bull in the 400+ range. He is just over the hill from my house. People used to give him treats when they came to see him until the Division of Wildlife made the owner put up a double fence.

Anyhow, I took my grandson over to look at the bull one day and as we neared the fence, the bull started the little puppy whine and looking for a treat. We just happened to have a small bag of sweet 3-way horse feed with us and my grandson thought it was the coolest thing to have a big B+C bull elk eat right out of his hand.

So the sound I heard was no doubt a begging type of sound. Just how you would relate that in hunting situations with wild elk, I have no idea!?!?
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 16, 2012 •  [Post 9]

Yep, begging, pleading to the hunters cow sounds that he used, from what I understand he called 1st and then the sounds were heard!

WW & Buglemaster or whatever you are, (WW's words!) you guys behave or no dessert!!!! Ha Ha!!!!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby westaner » 06 16, 2012 •  [Post 10]

did it work? youll here it at 2:34 before he chuckles
westaner

Postby westaner » 06 16, 2012 •  [Post 11]

westaner

Postby westaner » 06 16, 2012 •  [Post 12]

[youtube][/yo<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Knev7wPWC2Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>utube]
westaner

Postby westaner » 06 16, 2012 •  [Post 13]

this just dosnt seem to be working ! the name of the video is Bull elk bugleing during fall rut in estes park CO its owner is alistair80537 if some one could post it ,thanks! listen at 2:34 for sound
westaner

Postby westaner » 06 16, 2012 •  [Post 14]

try again!

westaner

Postby westaner » 06 16, 2012 •  [Post 15]

see if this one works, sound is at 2:33

westaner

Postby Buglemaster » 06 16, 2012 •  [Post 16]

Well, that about did it for me. You guys upset the appple cart & now I'm wrecked for 2 more months. Been trying to stay away from the elk videos hoping the fever wont kick in for at least another month.Out comes the chuckler & the reeds. In go the videos. Wifes already made my bed in the garage.Thanks! Thanks a bunch!!That 233 mark is what I'm refering to. It's like he's saying"awwwwwww,come on girls" Mabe he's just whispering sweet somethings. ;)
Buglemaster

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Shaklee

Postby westaner » 06 16, 2012 •  [Post 17]

Right before the chuckle is the wavey whine. Or high pitch moan.

He mewing
westaner

Postby westaner » 06 16, 2012 •  [Post 18]

Paul, on the first video is the last bugle he does a Round up bugle?
westaner

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 17, 2012 •  [Post 19]

This is why it's so important to hear actual sounds instead of ones trying to describe a selective sound! There can be different interpretations to a sound as individuals hear them? I know the sound Theelkhunter is referring too, the sound the bull made at 2:33 is not the whining crying sound, that sound when heard is implying for that cow to come his way. Elk are not robots, they exhibit different sounds & tones as they see fit per situation. Sometimes they can be worked up or excited & on other occasions they are more laid back & just give you a direction to join up, timing of rut also comes into play! Age of bull & desires that day can also contribute to their needs or response given! Don't over think it!

When a situation arises & this low volume crying/whining sound is heard in response to your cow calling your best line of defense is to setup right there! Why, because you are close to him, you have to be fairly close to hear this whining! With a few very low mews & soft pleads every 10sec to 20 sec apart & light shuffling with your feet imitating elk moving about in a 2 minute or so time period, shut down all calling & wait patiently! Your wait could be 5 minutes to over an hour! As long as wind holds up there's a good chance within 15min that this bulls curiosity will get the best of him & he will wander over silently to check the area out where he last heard this cow! He showed interest in your calling, once he did that your odds increased greatly on a sighting!

Westaner, the Bugle you asked about could be referred to as a Round Up Bugle or Lip Bawl trying to bring cows his way! A herd bull can use this sound to gather his cows together. Any bull can use this sound trying to get cows to come their way. What you look for is WHEN the sound is used! If you bugle close enough to a herd bull this sound could be used for gathering the harem together quickly to avoid this intruder bull. If you cow called as in the Video you can see the same sound used to bring this cow his way! In any case it's a sound used when cows are involved! Notice how short the lip bawl is when it's used for cow situations! This similar sound can be used when a satellite bull is trying to call cows away from a herd bull too! It's all about the cows!!!!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul