Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Calling Cows

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Calling Cows

Postby Bartfrncs » 03 31, 2013 •  [Post 1]

What is a good Blind calling senario to attract cows?
Bartfrncs

First Name: Bart
Last Name: Frncs

Re: Calling Cows

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 03 31, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I've had cows come running to bugles and lost calf sounds. If she's ready, she will come running to a bull calling. If your hyper calf calling, her motherly instincts take over. Just be ready for that bull, he likes those sounds just as much! :o
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby JGH » 03 31, 2013 •  [Post 3]

"Hyper calf sounds" .... can you elaborate?
JGH

First Name: John
Last Name: Haeberle

Postby Swede » 03 31, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Try a location bugle or you can go with some chuckles. I have had bulls try to call me in using just chuckles and sometimes they use location bugles.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Trophyhill » 03 31, 2013 •  [Post 5]

i've called in many cows while trying to call bulls in with cow sounds. some of those cows ended up on my dinner plate ;)
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby >>>---WW----> » 04 01, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Silent calling, blind calling, cold calling, all the same thing, just different names, will attract cows just as it will work for bulls.

Elk are herd animals and also curious critters. So depending upon their mood, both cows and bulls will respond to these tecniques.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby easeup » 04 01, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Trophyhill wrote:i've called in many cows while trying to call bulls in with cow sounds. some of those cows ended up on my dinner plate ;)

thats right.
easeup

Postby mtnmutt » 04 01, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Is there a time in September (early/mid/late) where cows are more likely to come into cold calling or is it all equal throughout the month?
mtnmutt

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 04 01, 2013 •  [Post 9]

JGH wrote:"Hyper calf sounds" .... can you elaborate?

Maybe frantic, constant fast calf sounds for several minutes would be a better way of explaining. I had a spotted calf doing this about 7 years ago, and I sat still and threw a few soft cow sounds at him and he ran right up to me like a puppy. I was literally petting him. Right behind him was a yearling calf that paced about 10 yards away from us. A few minutes later his mom, the yearlings mom and a 5x5 bull showed up. She made a few sounds and both of them ran back to the group. I had Montana decoy up about 25 yds behind me, so I gave a few cow calls. The entire group walked by me at 12 yds. The 5x5 was not the bull I was after, so I let them all pass, check out the decoy, fed a few minutes and then slowly dissapear over the bench I was hunting. My only regret was I did not take any pictures. I was too caught up in something that was so cool. :roll: I have used these frantic calf sounds ever since when everything else was not working. Almost like varmint calling. I have called in several cows, 3 bulls and 2 bears with that sound. ;) Oh! and about a 1/2 dozen hunters! :o
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer